Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BuckyBoy (10 y/o Boston Terrier) Diabetic - New issue w/ clots

Default Re: BuckyBoy (10 y/o Boston Terrier) Diabetic

I just wanted to add that Jenny had loose stools for awhile before we had her official cushings diagnosis. She is all better now but I always wondered if her liver being wonky from all her medical conditions had anything to do with it?

I know over on the diabetes forum a few people have had their vets prescribe flagyl to get their dog's intestinal systems on track again

You can simply type results and dates. Most tests just have a couple numbers (see below examples). For blood panel only need to type items that are above or below normal:

low dose dex supp test (LDDS) 2/1/13
    baseline = 1.5
    4 hrs = 0.4
    8 hrs = 5.9

acth test 2/1/13
    pre = 2.4
    post = 30

blood panel done on 1/25/13
    alk phos 2000 (5-150) (Note in brackets put the range for normal)

Be sure we know testing done before and testing done AFTER taking the trilostane ok?

Thanks so much. Kim

Ok, let me study this and get back to you. just a little note...we went out for a poo and it was softer now than it was this morning...its got to be that Vetoryl...i can't wait for Wednesday...
    Quote Originally Posted by frijole View Post
    You can simply type results and dates. Most tests just have a couple numbers (see below examples). For blood panel only need to type items that are above or below normal:

low dose dex supp test (LDDS) 2/1/13
    baseline = 1.5
    4 hrs = 0.4
    8 hrs = 5.9

acth test 2/1/13
    pre = 2.4
    post = 30

blood panel done on 1/25/13
    alk phos 2000 (5-150) (Note in brackets put the range for normal)

Be sure we know testing done before and testing done AFTER taking the trilostane ok?

Thanks so much. Kim

If you read the instructions for vetoryl you will see that should you have diarrhea you should CEASE giving it as it is a sign of overdose. If the purpose of the Wednesday appointment is to do an acth test (to check cortisol levels) I would try to get in tomorrow instead. The objective of vetoryl is to reduce cortisol levels. You test cortisol levels by doing the acth test. The problem is that vetoryl has a very short life in the body so if you cease giving it due to diarrhea (as per the instructions) then you need to have a test tomorrow because cortisol will increase by Wednesday and the test will be worthless.

The reason you have to be sure of the diagnosis is that dogs need cortisol to live. If a non-cushings dog removes too much cortisol it can harm the dog - even cause death.

Type up the results and we'll see what we got. Oh also did they do an ultrasound? Thanks, Kim

How are things going today? How is the poo? (we call this poo patrol btw and many, Many of our members are currently involved in it with their furbabies).

Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Just wanted to say i'm going to get Bucky's reports today or tomorrow and will have info for you then...my reports are incomplete...the most i have are the BILLS!

Thanks Molly...I have to say Bucky's poos are much better as of yesterday morning...i was so relieved to see a little whole log coming out of his butt i almost cried! Its not perfect...far from it, but at least i can pick it up...so
    my Vet was correct, we should see results Monday (this was after Vet visit
    Friday night)...he also has 1/16th of a tsp of Tylosin powder sprinkled on his
    dog food...so is it the powder, the cutting down of Vetoryl or the combination?
    I swear that Vetoryl is either too strong (30mg) or not for him...i hate that stuff...he still hasn't grown ANY hair back...was even taking melatonin for the longest time...no change at all...well, maybe the one changed is that he isn't losing any more hair...
    Thanks for asking...silly talking about poo first thing in the morning! LOL
    Have a great day everyone and thanks so much for the board and the wonderful supportive people on it...i'll be back!

poo and pee, morning, noon and night it seems. Hey, solid logs are a good thing!!! Just what we like to hear.

Now remember, hair and muscle weakness are two of the last things to clear up usually. When you see your ACTH results you'll know if it is in the golden zone or not and if so, then things hopefully will go smoothly. It's tricky getting there but it's worth it in the end I think.
    Don't let the vetroyl scare you. Many members have had their pups on it for years and are having a healthy life. It's the initial hurdles that you have to get over.

You're doing great, jut hang in there!

Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Default BuckyBoy (10 y/o Boston Terrier) Diabetic--checking back in

Hi everybody, i'm back...here's the story...I kind of let go of Forums and web sites because it was just too much...i was hearing one way to do things from the vet and another from the boards...so i spent some time listening only to the vet and doing things his way...besides, i will admit to being extra sensitive and emotional so if the wrong thing was said or the tone lecturous(?), then that was it...
    The latest is: we are on a third kind of insulin: 1 unit of Levemir twic e daily (oh we've mastered the shot--piece o cake now)...his numbers are still rather high but they do curve...i've charted him many saturdays...the vet now wants to start Bucky back on the Vetoryl...10mg twice daily...poor thing is just so skinny its frightening, yet he is ravenous...almost desperate for food (ate a banana peel the other day)...is his diabetes under control? Maybe for Bucky it is...just seems to be something else going on here...his accidents are no more, his water drinking is average to above average...his poops are wonderful...he is now on Hills W/D wet and dry & chicken ...which reminds me, i have to print out a coupon as i need to reload...let me look up those reports and see what i can report here, as you did ask for information...thanks for listening, Robin & Bucky
    he gets NO treats; life for him is really rather boring lately...we're just waiting...waiting for him to get well...

12/22/12 Ultrasound Report
    Left Adrenal: Abnormal--Bilateral adrenomegaly, 8 mm caudal pole
    Right adrenal: Abnormal--15mm cranial pole
    Liver: Abnormal -- mildly diffusely hyperechoic
    Gall bladder: Abnormal there is severe dilation of the cystic and common bile duct (up to 8mm). the duct tapers at the duodenal papilla where it is surrounded by hyperechoic tissue (presumptive fibrosis).
    Pancreas: abnormal -- the left and right limbs of the pancreas are irregular and mottled suggesting pancreatitis (acute or chronic)