Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Risk of using EASOTIC SUSP for yeast infections in ears

Default Risk of using EASOTIC SUSP for yeast infections in ears

Hello friends!
    what experience, knowledge, feedback can you offer about using, treating yeast infection in dogs ears with Easotic? Seems as pouring over the cushings threads, at one time this was discussed.....and outcome was irreversible. Can cause hearing loss that may not return. Feedback would be awesome. (this is on a large Golden lab)
    And for those of you who have been with me and Shysie non stop, she is still doing great and amazes me with each beat of my heart. We go back end of October to have things rechecked and will feel much better (i hope and pray!) that things stay positive!
    Stormee (Skye)

Default Re: Risk of using EASOTIC SUSP for yeast infections in ears

Easotic does contain Gentamycin, a compound with a definite risk of causing deafness.

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed...o.cfm?id=62115

We discussed it a while back at K9D...
    http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260

Natalie

Hi Skye,

I was told by our vet in TN and our new vet here that any product that is in the "mycin" family can be ototoxic - cause deafness - whether taken internally or topically - pill, suspensions, ear drops, eye drops, ointments...that includes "mycin" oral antibiotics. This effect doesn't always happen, some pups do fine but others will lose hearing or become deaf and there is no reversal. In other words, "mycin" drugs are a crap shoot.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

i replied to the pet parent with the information, thank you all so much. I knew couple of my friends babies had lost hearing from use though never was clear if it was complete loss. they regret not being more informed. and i believe someone on here even found out doctor had given dose and pet parent said NO they would not use it.....but it was to late, hearing loss happened after just one dose then vet researched it more and decided to not use that method any further in their practice.
    thank you all. ((((hugs)))) so you do feel its okay for me to say if your gonna do this proceed with caution and maybe seek alternative method to treat?
    Stormee (Skye)

i will suggest white vinegar and isospropyl alcohol past experiences have proven positive with that, until they know how they want to move forward.
    Stormee (Skye)

Hi Stormy,

I have a little blind Chi who seems to have chronic ear issues. I was doing some research on remedies other than Otomax, which the vet prescribed and came across a retired Cocker Spaniel breeders' site with a home remedy that sounds good. Cockers are a breed with a predisposition to ear infections so I figured a Cocker breeder should have lots of experience with this ailment.

I've been sick for the last two days and if I feel better tomorrow, I'm going shopping for the ingredients and make some up for Maxie.

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/EarCleaner.html

Spaniel Ear Cleaner Recipe

Ingredients:

White vinegar
    Powdered boric acid
    Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)
    Betadine antiseptic (or the generic version, known as Povidone-Iodine Solution)
    Please note: do not use "Betadine Scrub", use "Betadine Solution"

Directions for mixing the solution together:

Pour six ounces of isopropyl alcohol in to a plastic applicator bottle. Add one and a half teaspoons of boric acid powder. Be careful not to get any boric acid on your skin or clothes. If you do, wash it off immediately.

Shake the solution extremely well, until the boric acid powder is dissolved, or for five minutes, whichever comes first.

Add two ounces of white vinegar. Shake the solution some more, until the boric acid powder is dissolved, or for another five minutes, whichever comes first.

Add one teaspoon of the Betadine antiseptic, and shake it up some more. Be careful not to get any Betadine on your skin or clothes. If you do, wash it off immediately.

The ear cleaning solution is now ready to use.

To use the ear cleaning solution:

It is recommended that you use the ear cleaning solution in your garage or outdoors, as the dog will shake it out of his ears and it will fly in to the air and stain things.

Squirt the solution inside your dog's ear until the ear canal is completely full. Massage the outside of the ear to help slosh the cleaning solution around inside. Release the dog and let him shake out the ear cleaning solution from his ears.

If you get any of the ear cleaning solution on your skin, wash it off as soon as possible.

Be sure to shake the solution up really well before each and every time you use it. The boric acid has a tendency to settle at the bottom of the bottle. Store at room temperature.

Use the cleaning solution daily until you start to see some improvement. Gradually cut back to once per week when you are happy with the condition of the ear. When the ear seems completely free of infection, you can go two weeks between treatments.

Warning: Do not use this ear cleaning solution on dogs with ruptured ear drums, or on dogs with open sores or wounds in the ear area. An ear exam by a veterinarian is recommended
    prior to beginning treatment with this ear cleaning solution.

Something that cured Squirt's peepee yeast was giving her a dollop of organic yogurt with each meal for about two weeks.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I like that recipe, Glynda!

Hi Stormee,

That may have been me and our Rozee. Rozee had an ear infection and our vet applied the Gentamycin to both ears. When I asked if it contained Gentamycin and he said yes, we had a bit of a heated discussion when he went to his computer to check my claims of unwanted side effects. Came back and agreed and also agreed to stop using it on the city's police canine's.

I remember seeing the information posted from Sue and her experience with Gentamycin on her fur baby Zoe.

Rozee became deaf quite quickly. She can hear a clap of the hands or slam of a door, but no response to voice. It was the only ear infection she had ever had and I believe she got the ear infection from the vet's office as she just had a dental previously and they did a complimentary ear hair plucking. Maybe using unsterilized tweezers.
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)

thank you all so much. John......i would ask the vet if he minded i pluck a hair or two outta his ears and apply that. LOL.....jk, but oh if that had been my furdaughter.............shiver......
    soooooooooo very sorry that happened to your baby......you were smart and quick to realize what possibilities were, and that is awesome. Sometimes i feel the medical field for our babies is all business.....lacking educating the parents, themselves, lacking in compassion, passion for the love and lifes of animals. I just dont understand it. I cant bring myself to leave at all when Shysie is at doctors. I will push to stay right with her as long as possible then will wait right there in room...or take a seat in lobby. and will check in often to see what the word is. Think of how many babies are hearing because you took a stand. That rocks.
    Stormee (Skye)