Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Casper (diabetic) - Sweet Casper has passed

Unhappy Casper (diabetic) - Sweet Casper has passed

Good Evening - sad to report that my beloved Casper, diagnosed with Cushings 30 days ago has not responded to treatment - his liver profile is worse than when our Vet put him on Denamarin and now his blood sugar is over 600!! It was only 148 when he started his Cushings/liver meds. We didn't even bother with the 30 day ACTH - everything else is so out of whack. We brought him home from the vet today and are spoiling him rotten for the next few days then will probably have to put him down. Thanks for your wonderful site - I've learned a lot but unfortunately, God needs Casper more than I do at this time, I suppose.

Default Re: Casper

Whow! Don't do anything til others with experience can help!!!

First off - was Casper a known diabetic before treating cushings or did the blood sugar just go up? (sorry I'm not familiar with what range for a normal dog is) Many many dogs are misdiagnosed as having cushings when in fact they have diabetes. If your dog did NOT have diabetes before starting treatment I'd stop the cushings treatment and focus exclusively on the diabetes.

If your dog already had diabetes please know that it is very tricky to treat both diseases but totally doable. I have read many times here that the key is to get the diabetes under control before treating cushings.

We have a sister site k9diabetes.com if you need help with treating diabetes.

Again - I am no expert but i've been reading here for over 7 years. Hang in there and hopefully those with diabetic dogs can post and help. So glad you posted. Sending hugs and love, Kim

I have to agree with Kim...please read up on the many cush pups that are doing very well with their diabetes and cushings. You have started in the right place.
    Belinda Creel,
    Mom of Angel Bo, My Little Latte and now our newest Toby.

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

I agree completely with the above as well. Here is our sister site for diabetes http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/

When you get the chance please post the most recent test results and please let us know what type of treatment Casper was on for Cushing's (ie. Trilostane/Vetoryl, Lysodren).

There are many here who treat both and can offer much advice.

Terry

Default Re: Casper (diabetic)

No, Casper didn't have diabetes prior to his cushings diagnosis. Our Vet said that his blood sugar was just a little high when he had his initial testing, ACTH, Liver, etc., 30 days ago. She says that his liver is failing and diabetes and cushings treatments 'fight each other'. He's a 13 or 14 yo Scottie, (he was a rescue and his exact age was never known). He's very weak, probably from the diabetes. He was on Trilostane for those 30 days. We don't know if the Trilostane was working cuz we didn't do the follow-up ACTH. We still don't know what to do with my poor angel, all I know is that he's miserable. Thanks for all your support.

Cush dogs don't have high glucose. When a dog has diabetes and other non adrenal illnesses it can cause false positives on the cushings tests. I would suspect Casper is diabetic but not cushinoid.

Are you treating the diabetes? I would cease treating cushings because it isnt' a disease you have to treat right away and I would focus on getting the diabetes in order.

The reason your doggie is so sick is most likely due to uncontrolled diabetes - not cushings. The people on the diabetes forum can tell you what should be done to help with the diabetes - they are very very nice people too.

Sometimes it is hard for a regular vet to treat both diseases but we have had many many cases of dogs with both on this site and they do fine. More often we learn that the dog just had diabetes and false positive tests for cushings.

Please don't give any more cushings meds. It should go out of his system in a couple days so you should be able to tell if it helps. Don't feel bad, we see this a lot. Hang in there. Kim

Please advise the dosage amt of vetoryl you have been on as well as your dog's weight.

When a dog that doesn't have cushings takes these types of drugs bad things can happen. Dogs become very lethargic and look like they are dying but it is just that their cortisol is too low. They vomit and have diarrhea. These are all signs of overdose.

My aunt's dog has diabetes and has for years and is doing great. She ignored his illness and didn't take him to the vet. When she finally did his glucose was high like Casper's. Within 2 days he was almost normal.

Please use that link that Terry gave you and join the diabetes forum as quickly as possible. What your vet said about Cushing's and diabetes medications "fighting" each other makes no sense at all. We have many members who treat both conditions quite successfully. But like Kim says, the high blood sugar is the top priority right now.

I hate to say it, but it sounds as though your vet has given up on Casper without first pursuing appropriate treatment. Please talk to the diabetes forum folks as quickly as possible, and keep updating us as well, OK?

Marianne

My Jenny has diabetes and Cushings. Her blood sugar was very high for 2 or 3 months until we got both things under control. The care of these 2 diseases at the same time is complex.

Your vet should have admitted Casper and used some fast acting insulin to get his blood sugar down and to make sure he wasn't in ketoacidosis (sp).

that is my layman's opinion. This does not have to be a death sentence. Jenny required a LOT higher dose of insulin until we got her cortisol levels down.

IMO if you could get in to see an experienced vet today, it could give Casper a chance.

If he is too far gone then I'm really really sorry. Please find a different vet and get Casper in ASAP.

p.s. It has been over a year since Jenny was diagnosed with Cushings and Diabetes. She is blind but she chases squirrels, wrestles with her stuffed toys, snuggles with me at night and enjoys her life. Dogs can be treated appropriately if it is caught in time. hugs, Judi
    Last edited by Jenny & Judi in MN; 08-24-2012 at 08:24 AM.

No, our Vet said that due to his severe liver damage, Scotties are prone to liver problems as well, treatment would be short-lived and futile. She's leaving the decision up to my husband and me - we're really struggling with it but due to his liver damage/failure, we feel crossing the rainbow bridge might be the best for our little guy. This is so hard. Thanks.