Thread: July 9th Doomsday Virus Can Kill Your Computer

Exclamation July 9th Doomsday Virus Can Kill Your Computer

Apparently, I was one of the last to discover that tomorrow could be a real problem for those of us with computers, who have unknowingly been infected with the Doomsday Virus. I received the email below from a friend who is a technical genius so I never doubted for one minute that what she told me was true. I couldn't believe how much I was able to find on this issue. Gil checked our MACs and we're okay. My employer has taken care of the computers but I wanted to see how the test worked and I couldn't get into the US site. I was able to find a listing of worldwide URL's and was able to access the Australian link. This is a worldwide problem!

I want to see all of you back here so please read the email below and follow the links to see if your computer is infected and what to do if it is.

Glynda

I hadn't heard about the July 9th Internet Doomsday ... probably mostly my fault because I delete all of the forwarded "virus alerts" I receive from friends

But this is not a forward....this is from me, from personal digging because my laptop computer browser stopped working yesterday. Luckily I have enough computer knowledge to know that if my computers can see each other, then my network is working so that wasn't the reason my laptop could not get to the internet.

So then I started digging into the DNS server settings .... DNS servers are the servers that translate the www.somename.com that you type in your browser into the needed IP addresses to actually find the site on the internet. Anyway, come to find out, my internet provider changed their IP addresses and their DNS servers and my laptop had the old ones hard coded in (for reasons that aren't important).

Anyway, in my research to figure out what was wrong with my computer, I came across this DNS hacker issue. Click on the link below and read the article carefully. It gives you links to click on to find out if you are affected by this DNS hacking network. If you don't do this before July 9th, AND if your computer DNS addresses have been hacked, come July 9th you won't be able to get to the internet and therefore it will be difficult to solve your problems by yourself, because these days, if you can't get to the internet, you can't really solve an internet problem, can you !

http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/t...ck-your-736963

If you like a little more technical info - read this link too
    http://blog.eset.com/2012/05/31/dnsc...-your-computer

Default Re: July 9th Doomsday Virus Can Kill Your Computer

I found out about it on Friday and found this very quick link. You check it BEFORE Monday and it will tell you if your pc is safe. Here you go:

http://www.dns-ok.us/

I am green but just may change the date on my computer to the 10th to be safe
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy's Dad View Post
    I am green but just may change the date on my computer to the 10th to be safe
    I'm skeptical of stuff like this... but that's an excellent idea. That is as long as the program doesn't read (date=>July8,2012). Any date greater than....

If you want to find out if it is for real just change your date to july 9th right now and find out if it's true. Pull the network plug on all your computers but one and find out.

If your that worried about it, backup all your important files and disconnect it from any internet connection.
    Last edited by Altira; 07-08-2012 at 03:38 AM.
    Janis
    My avatar is a picture of Elly at age 7.

So actually it's not a virus as we have known them to be in the past. There was some criminal activity that changed how you may have visited web sites. They basically changed how your browser would visit a web site by changing your DNS (Domain Name Server) to go thru their server. Sometimes called re-routing.

The FBI is shutting down these servers on July 9th. So if your browser is using these DNS servers, your browser will no longer be able to find your tagged or bookmarked pages or sites.

The check that Glynda has posted will check to see if your browser is using any of the servers that will be shut down. It could be very scary if you are doing your banking on line thru one of these servers and find you cannot get to your bank web site for example.

Check the link she has posted and if you come up green, you should be good to go.

Regarding changing the date, I was just kidding, for this case it wouldn't work because the date only means the FBI is shutting down these servers on that date, although I have done that for other doomsday type viruses and worms.
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)

Well, today is July 12th according to my computer. It sounded good and I was nervous about this since I'd already had problems. I also unplugged everything last nite and shut it all down so nothing could get through.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

The US check site is still working as of right now....
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thank you Glynda and Leslie for passing on this information. As Janis, I'm a bit skeptical of these warnings, and sorry, but I DON'T trust our government anymore...LOL...

Tight hugs, xo Jeanette