Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: Koko - Traveling Dog Around Town

Default Re: Koko - Traveling Dog Around Town

Good Morning Dear Family,
    I promised an update on Koko and his newly found growth. It is a perianal gland tumor. Koko’s tumor was small, about 6 mm however it was located very close to his anus about less than 1/4” away. It did not bother him: Cytology confirmed the tumor; indication were benign, cells are similar to malignant growth so not 100 percent positive benign.
    These growths usually appear in non neutered males or late neutered males though they can occur in spayed females and neutered males. They are thought to be hormone driven. I see no evidence of Cushing in Koko but wonder if his intermediate hormones could be in play.
    I found a really capable surgeon trained at U.C Davis and had a pedigree education. I was hoping that would mean he had treated numerous dogs as our regular vet had only seen this growth in one neutered male in all his years of practice.
    The thing is, sometimes these tumors show up then go away on their own, sometimes they grow slowly and sometimes they grow larger. Because of its location and our confidence in the surgeon, we had the tumor removed Thursday. Because of Koko’s age and other chronic conditions, we did sedation and a local.
    Koko is recovering well, surgery went well and we wait for the pathology report to confirm it is benign.
    I thought it important to note that perianal gland tumors can occur in dogs with Cushings.
    If anyone ever has a question about it, I am now a walking encyclopedia on the subject lol.
    There are not many abstracts or case studies to be found written in the U.S. and up to date.
    Thankfully the surgeon I found had a wealth of knowledge as well and the two of us could talk it through.
    I am hoping My Koko will be out patio dining around town very soon.
    He has been a brave little boy but his reverse soft cone has to be worn at night and it causes him much anxiety.
    Ten more days and hopefully we will all get a good nights sleep.
    Happy Memorial Day dear friends,
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Oh Addy, thanks so much for this update! I confess this is a type of tumor about which I know absolutely nothing, so what you’ve shared with us today is definitely an education. Most importantly, though, it’s such a relief to know that the surgery is now behind you! I hate it that Koko is stuck with the darn cone, but hopefully the days will pass by as quickly as possible.

We’ll be anxious to hear about the pathology report, but in the meantime we’re grateful that our little boy is otherwise recovering nicely.

Thanks again for letting us know. Sending lots of love right back at you!
    Marianne

So glad that the surgery went well and will be praying for a speedy recovery!

Love and hugs, Lori

So glad to hear things went well and pray the path report comes back all clear! Let us know when you can!
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thank you all so much.
    Stitches came out this morning, Koko healed beautifully, growth now confirmed benign.
    Wow, he was a handful for two weeks, lol.
    We will be looking forward to take him away for a few days.
    When we first stayed with Koko at the Delafield Hotel, the receptionist commented what a rag to riches story Koko has.
    He went from being an unwanted stray, running the streets to staying at the Delafield Hotel.
    I think he deserves one more stay there.
    Love you all!
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Great news! You rock Koko Puff!
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

What a great update, Addy — thanks so much! And I think another stay at the Delafield is *definitely* in order ;-))))). You all deserve to be pampered and to celebrate your good news in style. So go on, and enjoy!!!

Glad for such positive news, Addy! I hope this is the last scare the little booger gives you!

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.