Page 257 of 380 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267307357 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 3796

Thread: Molly, 13 yr, shih tzu - lhasa aspo - Molly has passed

Default Re: Molly, 10 yr, shih tzu - lhasa aspo, cushing diagnosis

ugh, you're right, I was reading them both as g/1000 kcal while the fromms is g/100 kcal

I couldn't get it anyhow. Picked up the blue buffalo as it was lower than the Fromms weight management I have been using to keep up with solid poops. The Protein in the Blue Buffalo is 18%, but doesn't give any analysis table that I can find online.

I might have just blow 20. bucks, but if so lesson learned and this should help at least till I can get the renal mp. (although see in my notes that the vet had recommended renal lp, but not sure I want Super low protein as you mentioned, it's keeping up with what is lost but still providing enough to keep her healthy. Such a balancing act this is!

thanks for the help Marianne!
    hugs
    Sharlene and molly muffin
    Last edited by molly muffin; 10-07-2014 at 06:32 PM.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Yeah, I definitely don't think you want to go as low as the Royal Canin LP. I think maybe Tina had to negotiate that one with her vet, too.

Just looked at the Blue Buffalo and yes, maybe it will pan out as at least mildly restricted protein which may be all the restriction Molly really needs tight now. The ingredients surely look better than the Rx foods!

Not that I am anywhere up to par on this as Marianne and Tina but Zoe had a high protein diet and just replacing some of her turkey rewards with potato and decreasing her raw diet while increasing her Honest Kitchen Zeal helped the protein in her urine come down.

So just cutting back some of the protein a tad may be enough to do the trick, looking at Molly's total protein intake including any snacks. I don't think you need to go really low on the protein when looking at food.

Does Honest Kitchen Zeal not work? Marianne- I think you used it for a bit with Peg. It helped Zoe's IBD so maybe it would not bother Molly's poos.

Okay, off to cough some more I think I am getting more exercise from these coughing fits than from walking
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

I remember you saying that Zoe was on Honest Kitchen, but I haven't found it anywhere up here in Canada.

Yea I don't want to go too low, and she is on medication, so I want to move to less protein, not too high in fat, and see if that helps her.

This blue buffalo might help her and it is what we are going to try for the next little while, supplemented with a low protein can food, that I use to get her to eat at all and for pills. Her main treats right now are the liver and the joint treat. She gets some very small cranberry treats, or other fruit based. She will not eat blueberries. She just attacks them. I'm going to work on that. Same with green beans, she just turns up her nose and ignores them. grrrr

Oh Addy, do take care of yourself. It seems you have had this for way too long!

hugs
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Ha! So just in case I went and checked Amazon.ca again, and sure enough, now they have Honest Kitchen food! It still has to be ordered in from the US it looks like. Very expensive. I'm going to look around some more. Which one did you feed Zoe? Looks like there are several forumlas. Do we know the protein and fat, phosphorus amounts?

hugs

hmm, it doesn't give much in the way of percentage per... it seems higher than the moderate protein diets, but you said it and the potatoes brought down zoes upc?

hugs,

No, I ended up not using the Honest Kitchen Zeal because it was just too expensive for a big girl like Peg . It did otherwise work for her in terms of being lowfat. But it is specifically marketed as a high protein food, and the specs seem to back that up. I don't know whether there is a different Honest Kitchen blend that would be more suitable for Molly, but on the face of it, I'm afraid Zeal is much higher in protein than your vet would want.

I know it looks expensive but I have compared it to other quality canned foods and it really is not much more money when I compare the cost. I order a 10 pound box. It lasts about 6-8 weeks. Koko eats about 2/3 of a cup dry measure before I add water per day, divided between two meals. In the 10 pound box there is about 40 dry cups. He actually could eat 1/2 cup and be fine, he is a bit too heavy by a few pounds. 11-30 pounds can be fed 1/2 to 1 cup per day if average activity. It is human grade food, made in a human processing plant. My niece is a patent attorney and researched food for her dog which is how I first found Honest Kitchen.

I fed Zoe the Zeal which is the most expensive but that is fish and potato so has lower fat. I supplemented her raw turkey diet with the Zeal so she ate even less of it than Koko does but back then I increased the Zeal and cut back the raw as much as I could without it affecting her IBD. It was the only commercial food she ever could eat. After I increased the amount of Zeal Zoe ate and decreased her turkey treats, her UPC came down and stayed down. I had a long conversation with Zoe's GP about low protein diets. He felt the new thinking had changed on that and you did not want to go to a totally low protein diet. I also changed Zoe's probiotic and for the life of me cannot remember the name. I'll go back on her thread.

You can email Honest Kitchen or call them and they are very helpful and will tell you whatever you need to know and may even send free samples. They did for me. It may be that for Molly, it is not a good fit. But since it helped Zoe, I thought I would mention it.

P.S.
    http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com...kidney-disease
    Azodyl-not sure if it helps or is a placebo
    Last edited by addy; 10-07-2014 at 09:24 PM.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

I had a dog in the beginning stages of renal failure. I searched everywhere for a decent food. I finally settled on this one, because I found it to be the only semi decent food with low phosphorus. I also used an natural kidney supplement.
    http://www.hillspet.com/sd-canine-na...-bites-dry.pdf