Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Cushing's, 8.5 y/o male Boxer (Sweet Jordan has passed)

Default Re: Possible Cushing's, need advice on next steps (Jordan) 8.5 y/o male Boxer

Hi Jenn,

Has his BUN and creatinine been ok? Any protein in the urine?

I hope Mon proves to be uneventful and that what he saw today was a smear on the screen.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang

PS. I don't know if this works in dogs or not...but one of my kidneys burned up and the other one took over for it. One is shriveled to nothing, the other is huge and not where a kidney is supposed to be (talk about making a tech crazy! ), but all my labs are fine...that big one is doing all the work for both and grew into a size to handle the workload as my doc explained. So I wonder if it does turn out one is damaged/sick, if the other one couldn't take up the load for Jordan as well?
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Default Re: Possible Cushing's, need advice on next steps (Jordan) 8.5 y/o male Boxer

Thanks for the input, Leslie...and it turns out, I think you're right, he can probably function on one kidney if that does become necessary. As to his blood levels, the doc didn't do a full panel yesterday, just checked his hematocrit. I'm guessing this is because we just did a full panel last week that showed nothing out of the ordinary except for slightly elevated alkaline phosphotase (what the **** is the abbreviation for that, anyway...so tired of typing it out! ) He did not mention that there was protein in the urine, so I imagine that means no, but I will ask. What would that signify if there were?

I didn't give the Anipryl today, but his behavior is about on par with where he's been most of the week...pretty good spirits, decent energy level if a little bit lower (but then, so is mine today), and overall not acting sick. Here's the weird thing, though...his urine is back to normal, but now he's showing signs of UTI -- excessive licking and some discharge. What the heck?!

Also, it's pretty tough for me not to point a finger at the Anipryl, given that the bloody urine came and went with the drug. I don't understand how, but I have to believe the two are related. I'm tempted to give it to him tomorrow and see what happens, but I don't want to mess with him like that.

That's all for now. We're enjoying a very quiet, peaceful day, just the three of us (Daddy's out of town), and it's been great.

I'll keep you all posted. Let me know if anything in this jumps out at you.

Best,
    Jenn

Just a quick update...because I know everybody is wondering about my dog's pee ...seems I was wrong and the blood has not disappeared. Doc told me on Friday that he expected it might 'wax and wane' and that appears to be the case. So, perhaps the timing with the Anipryl was/is coincidental after all. We shall see.

Best,
    Jenn

Much cleaner ultrasound today, properly prepped, which confirmed that there are several masses on (in?) his kidney. He is scheduled to have it removed on Thursday. Doc was fairly matter-of-fact, "It needs to come out," like it isn't really a big deal...this, to me, is equal parts comforting and terrifying.

Needless to say, I'll have him eyeball the adrenal glands pretty good while he's in there, and of course the kidney will be tested for cancer. For the life of me, I want to believe that his Cushing's symptoms have all been related to the kidney, and that he'll be back to normal after the surgery, but since his cortisol has tested normal throughout all of this, I have to believe that he still has something going on with his pituitary or adrenals that are causing the out-of-whack hormones/symptoms. I would love it if one of you could tell me that I'm wrong??

I'm not crazy about having this (or any) surgery, but I don't see that we have a lot of choice right now.

Your thoughts/ideas are most welcome,
    Jenn

Lightbulb Re: Possible Cushing's, need advice on next steps (Jordan) 8.5 y/o male Boxer

Hi Jenn,

Well, like you, I am relieved and worried at the same time. Relieved it is something they can remove and Jordan be ok without; worried there is more than surgery will fix.

Squirt's tumor on her spleen was accountable for her elevated cortisol. When the tumor was removed, her cortisol returned to normal range. So I KNOW without question that non-adrenal illnesses can and do cause elevated cortisol and false positives on the testing. Since the adrenals are involved in both cortisol and the intermediate hormones, it makes perfect sense to me that the elevations in those hormones could also be related to his kidney problem. However, that is just my mind at work, not scientific fact.

We do know that kidney and liver issues can present just like Cushing's so that also makes sense to me.

But for today, love that boy all you can. Make some new, precious memories. Gird yourself with all the strength you can for the coming procedure...and forget about everything else. Once this is behind him, then hopefully you will have a clearer picture of what is, or was, going on with your sweet boy. Right now, the picture is muddled by this kidney thing.

We are with you and Jordan every step, Jenn. If you just need to scream or cry or laugh, we are here for you.

Many hugs and belly rubs,
    Leslie and the gang
    Last edited by Squirt's Mom; 07-16-2012 at 08:53 AM.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thanks, Leslie...truly, you are an angel. I've been home with them for over three years now, and am having an extremely difficult time with the idea of leaving them completely in a few weeks. I know it's best for them to stay here until we can get everything settled back home, but I just keep having these 'what if' thoughts about being separated from him at such a crucial time.

I'm so tired. We actually cuddled our way into a nap this afternoon, and I never nap.

He's in the kitchen helping Daddy make homemade pizza for dinner...ever the chef's helper, that one!

Thanks again. I'll keep you all posted, of course.
    Jenn

Hi Jenn,

I'm hoping for good news and that the procedure goes well. We'll be thinking of you and saying prayers! Keep us posted on how it goes.

Julie & Hannah

Hi Jenn,

Lots of good thoughts here. I know the thought of surgery is scary but if the vet was that assured that it has to come out, then, it probably does.

Deal with the other stuff, or possibilities of other stuff after this is over.

Lots of good, positive thoughts your way!

Sharlene
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Jordan is in surgery now. We will know more after 1600 our time, 1000 EST, and I will report back. Please keep us in your hearts. I held it together (mostly) until I had to let the tech take him, and then had to make a bit of a run for it before I had a complete meltdown in the waiting room. I fear that's the last he saw of me...turning tail to run...and I feel like the worst mother on the planet.

I'm going to go ride my bike so hard that my brain shuts down. See you all in a few hours.

Jenn

Hi Jenn,

I know that feeling so well. But you did much better than I....I broke down in the waiting room then sat there bawling until I could drive. It took everything I had not to go into the OR and "supervise"!

A few years down the road from today, Jordan is going to have an ultrasound and you will get to watch everyone go nuts when they see this strange looking organ thingy in his belly and no kidneys. I know from experience, techs can get real excited over this sort of "discovery".

Ride hard, clean your house, till a garden, paint the shed - do whatever you need to do for the next few hours to hold onto your sanity...and know we are with you. Tho I'm waiting at the house til you get off the bike as I have NO coordination.

Prayers and healing white light flying your way!

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang