Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: My Sweet Angel Peg

Default Re: My Sweet Peg

Glynda and Addy, thank you both. Glynda, that's a great website and no, I actually hadn't done much researching because I was just assuming that this has to do with Peg's allergies . But maybe not. I will look through all the info there in detail. And I see that they are also mentioning the socks on the "suspenders" -- Addy, I think you told me about them before. That might be a better solution than the cone, but I appreciate the info about the cone, too. Because if we end up going with a cone, I think I'll give this Comfy Cone a try.

Addy already knows this from conversations she and I have had, but my previous experience with licking was with Barkis before he was diagnosed with Cushing's. He licked his paws (and our bare skin) incessantly!!! But once we started on the trilostane, it was like a light switch got flipped and he totally stopped. So that's what I've been hoping with Zoe -- that maybe she'll get calmed down, too, as her cortisol lowers.

With Peg, this is kind of a new issue. She's exhibited allergies since she was 3 months old, and that has always involved some degree of licking and chewing on herself. But this devotion to her one paw is new for us. Even though we haven't seen any evidence of it, maybe a bug bite or injury did somehow start it off. Regardless, I'm anxious to read through the info on that website. Thank you, guys.

Hi Marianne, glad that Peg is doing better, except for the recent paw licking and Glynda, that was an interesting site. Our Rozee is a paw licker but luckily I was able to say No Lick and she would stop, it took some training but it did work. Okay sometimes she would go and hide out of site and continue licking . Now that she is deaf, I can just point to her and she will stop. We never figured out why , she has done it since she was a puppy and absolutely hates her lower legs and paws even being touched. Being her groomer, it's always been a major struggle and has been that way since she was 8 weeks old Now she just recently decided to start licking the carpet and the couch . She's pretty senior now so I just go and pick her up and hold her to get her mind off of it.
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)

I'm glad Peg is feeling better but wish I had some help to offer with the licking. Squirt will lick her front paw when she is tired or nervous but when I say, "enough", she stops. It seems to comfort her so I have always let her lick for a minute then stop her. I think it is psychological, a way of soothing herself and relaxing. But she has never shown an obsession with it and I feel for you all who deal with that.

Brick is a licker but not on himself. He just licks - the walls, the floor, the furniture, cabinets...if it has a surface, it gets licked. So I am extremely cautious with what I use to clean; vinegar doesn't seem to phase him in the least!

I am reading along and sending positive thoughts even tho I don't post often.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Awwww poor Peg and poor you...

Did Peg by any chance recently finished her antibiotics? And that that's the reason the itching started again? (infection not fully cured yet, perhaps?) Sometimes there can be a "foreign object" that entered the leg (through the foot) like a single grass seed...which can be terribly hard to find and diagnose.

Sending you all our best and hugs,

Sas and Mhina

Hi Marianne,

Just stopping by to mention, Zoe almost has totally stopped chewing her paws the last two days. I am afraid to even say that as she will probably start up again to prove me wrong.

I can't help but wonder if it was her eyes bothering her so much that she chewed her paws. She is still licking us.

Anyway, I cant know for sure, but seemed odd so I thought I would mention it to you in case it may give you a clue for Peg.

love ya,
    addy

Oh Addy, that's great news (and NO, we are NOT going to jinx things by talking about it!!!!). Maybe Zoe is like Barkis was, and this means her cortisol is coming down! That would be super on both counts.

Sas, thanks for your suggestion about the antibiotics. Peg was on a ten-day course that finished a week ago. So I'll keep that in mind as a possibility. And John and Leslie, I very much appreciate your thoughts, too.

One other thing -- we did give the girls a bath on Saturday afternoon (before Peg woke up licking on Sunday morning). We use a special non-soap aloe/oatmeal cleanser, but maybe she's still sensitive to it regardless. As I think about it, she did seem to do a bit more gnawing on herself after her last bath. So maybe that is a trigger. She's been very good about keeping her sock on, and the paw isn't any worse. But I've been catching her licking her legs and gnawing on her flanks, too. I think I will look for a different shampoo to use for the next bath!

Addy, fingers crossed for Miss Zoe!!!!

How is our Sweet Peg now?
    Janis
    My avatar is a picture of Elly at age 7.

Dang, Marianne, I had to go back a bit to find this thread

My reason for looking is to say:

Happy Thanksgiving from your loving K9 Cush family

I hope Peg is fine and looking forward to some turkey
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Addy, you are so sweet, and Miss Peglet and I both appreciate your kind thoughts SOOOOOOOO much!!!!! Thankfully, she has been doing really well, although her seasonal allergies are kicking up again -- right on schedule . But so far, nothing has gotten out of hand. And both she and Luna are loving the cooler temps and falling leaves -- makes it so much more fun to chase the squirrels.

Thanks so much for checking on us. We'll be staying home for Thanksgiving, so both girls will definitely have the chance to feast on a bit of turkey themselves.

All best wishes to you and all your loved ones, too, Addy. You truly deserve a glorious holiday yourself!!

With hugs and best wishes,
    Marianne

Awwwww, home for the holiday with mom, dad, turkey and squirrels--it doesn't get any better than that

From our home to yours, have a wonderful Turkey day Marianne, Peg, Luna and family.

we love you.
    Xo Jeanette and my sweet Princess