Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: My Sweet Angel Peg

Default Re: My Peg is suddenly incontinent

Awwww Marianne,

So, so glad to hear sweet Peg has not had any more leaking episodes. That is always a plus...Yayyyy! I was about to say the reason Peg is so great at letting you do anything to her which most dogs would run for the hills is because she is a lab....lol, but then that theory went out the window when you mentioned Luna is the total opposite Oh well, as your Peg, my sweet Princess is the very same way. You can do just about everything and she will not bat an eyelash, wait! do they have eyelashes Peg and Princess should meet one day, they'd get on well...

And yes, hopefully you can edit your thread title very very soon. Prayers and love.

xo Jeanette

Glad to hear it is most likely just a side effect from the meds, that's always the best scenario It almost seems as if the sweetest ones have to endure the most... I remember when Yunah had injured her front paw, I had to soak that paw in a Betadine solution, 3 times a day, she was just so good about it

Give Peg, Luna and yourself a big hug from us,

Sas and Mhina

I, too, am glad to hear that the leaking was an isolated incident probably caused by the shot. Sending huge hugs to you all.

I hope that was the first and last episode she has! Glad to hear things seem to be on the way up!

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi Marianne,

I was just wondering how Peg is doing. Is her foot better?

When I was a little girl my maternal grandmother (the love of my life then) had a small black and white spaniel named "Peggy". So I have a special fondness for "Pegs". The Pegs I have met so far are usually very, very sweet.

Hoping things are better for sweet Peg and for you.

love,
    addy

Addy, thank you so much for asking! I am happy to report that Peg's paw is basically all healed, and the incontinence has not reared its ugly head again. So I am getting ready to return the package of diapers to Petsmart.

I am so relieved for my sweet girl. She definitely deserved a break, and that's just what she's gotten this time around.

Once again, we really appreciate you asking about us.

Marianne

Jumping in late, but for what it's worth, my first impression was that it was the shot, and going by the progression of your posts that followed it, now I really think it was the shot.

It now looks like it's all yesterday's news now. Glad all is going well.

Fred.

Default Re: My Sweet Peg

Well, it's exactly two weeks since our incontinence scare. Peg's paw healed nicely, and all has been good. I'm sitting at the table reading the Sunday paper and hear "slurp, slurp, slurp" (Addy, I know you can sympathize with me here... ). I look over, and there's the same paw, denuded again in exactly the same spot. But at least not yet raw and oozing! OMG! What is the deal with that paw???? She hasn't even been itching much lately, and this is the time of year when her allergies usually start letting up.

So we've just spent five minutes in the Blue Soak, and the sock is back on her foot. Unfortunately, we have to go to a luncheon later today and it's a toss-up whether or not to leave the sock on. It'll undoubtedly come off before we get home, and if either Peg or Luna swallows the sock, that'll be even worse than an infected paw...(Debbie, I know you can relate to THAT issue!). I guess I'm gonna have to look into a cone for her. I hate those awful rigid ones. Has anybody had good luck with one of the softer ones?

Oh, my sweet Peg. Never a dull moment!

Marianne

Hi Marianne,

Knowing you the way I do, I'm sure you've already researched paw licking to the nth degree but for those who may not have found a pretty informative site, I'm providing a link below. This site has information from a compilation of data amassed from 7,000 owners of paw licking dogs. That's a pretty good database.

I thought it was interesting that Labs are not on the list of breeds prone to allergies but they are at the top of list of breeds who just love to lick and second on the list of breeds who exhibit obsessive compulsive behavior in the form of paw licking. I've had dogs who have licked one foot and some who licked all four and I can't say that I ever figured out why. I do remember in all my reading that if a dog licks only one foot, it's usually a psychological thing.

My brother took in his son's huge black lab because nobody paid any attention to him. He languished in the backyard, usually laying half in and half out of his doghouse. He licked one of his front feet until it bled and there was no fur left on it. I think loneliness and boredom was the causative factor because once he settled in with my bro, got regular exercise and lots of loving, he seemed to forget that he even had a foot. If only every paw licker was such an easy fix.

I usually don't comment about paw licking because, like I mentioned previously, I've never been able to figure out why any of my dogs do it so I don't suspect I'd be any help to those here who are dealing with it. However, I thought I'd share an informative site, as well as my brother's experience with a Lab.

http://www.pawlicking.com/pawlickingbybreed.html

Hi Marianne,

I can totally sympathize. It is so frustrating. If it were not for all of you I think I would lose it. Zoe has been better, she is back to how she used to chew on her paws not doing it every waking moment. Of course, as you know, now her eyes are bad, it's like sure, why not?

Anyway, I did some research and ended up with the Comfy Cone

http://www.petco.com/product/110060/...omfy-Cone.aspx

I read the inflatable cones had some problems. The problem with the Comfy Cone is they have no peripheral vision and it is a bit heavy ( so Zoe gets hot in hers). But it did help. I did not leave it on when she was alone with Koko as I was afraid Koko would be up to no good.

As soon as she started chewing I would put the cone on. When she was calm I would take it off. If she started chewing again, I put it back on. Sometimes I would leave it open on the floor next to her as a reminder not to chew.

It took a long time for her to get the message I had to grin and bear it and hubby lost all patience.

We don't use it nearly as often as we did in the beginning.

They have a video on their website.

((((Hugs))))))

love,
    addy