Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Found and here to stay, Mhina - our Sweet Mhina has passed

Unhappy Found and here to stay, Mhina - our Sweet Mhina has passed

With Yunah's thread now closed, it's time to start a new thread to keep you all informed about what is going on here

But since I first have to find THE dog for me, I called the thread "In search of..." so you can all follow the possible candidates that may come my way.

The first one is Whina, a Labradoodle. I have one picture of her where she is still a puppy. By now she's one year and passed her medical exams. She will be coming to meet me next week on Wednesday.

I also started a new photo album where you can see the candidates...and Whina is the first to see

Saskia

Default Re: In search of...

Hi Saskia,

Whina is a pretty girl! You can see the intelligence in her eyes and her coat looks so soft. Can't wait to hear about the meeting next week! Are Labradoodles shedless like the Poodle? Since I've seen them at groomers being cut, I assume they don't shed?

Thank you for sharing this journey with us, too.

Hugs and love,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Welcome back, Saskia!!

Yes-Labradoodles do not shed. They are hypoallergenic. And oh so cute!!

Sas
    - you might want the "powers that be" to link Yunah's thread with this new one.....so people will know where to go. I panicked when I saw I could not post. Once I got some juices flowing in my brain, I realized maybe I could do a search on your name and find you....which I did.

I am so excited for you. You sound good. I'm anxious to see many pictures.

I'm still sad about Yunah. I posted a few days ago that I was just thinking about you and hoping things were improving. I don't see it there, so it got lost somehow.

Thanks, Sas.

-Susan

Sas, I checked out Whina and what a gorgeous girl. It appears she's taken on more of the poodle coat so chances are she will be low shedding. I have heard wonderful things about Labradoodles and I can't think of two better breeds to mix than a Standard Poodle and a Labrador. Labs are known for being great service dogs and the poodle for their extreme intelligence. I think Whina has the potential to do great things under your guidance. No matter which candidate you connect with, I see a winning team.

I know this may not come as a surprise to many of you but I'm a nosy Nellie, especially where dogs are concerned. I get a lot of time at adoption events to meet hundreds of dogs on any given day at Petco or Petsmart and ask lots of questions of the petowners. First question is "what breed is your dog?" Labradoodles have become quite popular these days and I've met a number of them. I must admit that most of them look more like a Poodle but some have had really wiry hair and look like big terriers. Some have a bit softer hair and look more like a Golden Retriever. I never would have guessed that the wiry haired and straighter haired dogs were Labradoodles but that's the nature of hybrids. There is no guarantee of predictability as to coat or any other characteristics. Labs shed a lot and unfortunately, so do some of their Labradoodle offspring.

Oh Sas, another journey begins!

I am so glad that Yunah is back home once again and forever. The circle of love and companionship will never be broken, and now another sweet spirit will be joining you to share your life.

Whina looks like a sweetie! I hope your visit with her will go splendidly (you know I'm always partial to anybody who's got some Lab in her/him!! ).

Always in loving memory of Yunah, and also very anxious for this new chapter in your life to begin...
    Marianne

Just counting the days between now and Wednesday!!! Sas, are there any other doggie possibilities on the horizon, or will you start solely with Whina, and just see how things go from there?

Marianne

Hi Marianne

I probably haven't been clear, I appologize. I do continue with my life and the things that need to be done but it's still quite a strugle for me, adjusting to a life without Yunah...so I tend to "quickly" do what it is I think I need to do like writing here

Yunah came from a service dog school called "Personal Service Dogs". I decided that my next dog needs to come from another school, the Martin Gaus Geleide- en Hulphondenschool". There are a few options for my next service dog. I can start with a puppy (which I won't, would take too long before I have a working dog again), I can look for a stray/rescue dog that's one year of age and have it medical and behavioral examined (and I won't do that either, the chance of finding an adult dog that's physically okay, that's behavioralwise okay, that has the right temperament and skills to become a service dog, is slim, at least in a limited timespan) or accept a service dog from the school, one that's already medical examined and had a proper upbringing/education during it's first year. And I opted for this last opton since it will be the quickest way to have a working dog again. It also means I do not have quite the choice in what kind of dog I would really want, I have to choose from the dogs that are in training.

So, I spoke long and many times with their trainer about the type of dog I would like. But dogs, the size of Yunah, are not usually found at service dog schools because they are "too small" in general. So basically I had to choose between wanting per se a small dog which would mean I would have to wait a long time and start with a puppy or find a suitable adult dog, or waning a working dog within a reasonably short time and give up on the small size... I choose the latter.

After talking with the new trainer, about size of the dog, how fast I wanted a new dog, etc...we agreed I would try the dogs he has available. And Whina, is the smallest She's a Labradoodle but stayed rather small (she's a cross Labrador and Standard Poodle, not a medium sized Poodle) So I have no idea how small, a small Labradoodle is, that will be a surprise He did tell me however she weighs under 40 lbs so there might be a chance she still fits on my lap...something I reluctantly gave up, a dog that would fit on my lap

Wednesday he will come to visit me with Whina...if she is not a good match, he will come the next time with another dog and another and another, untill we find the dog that will be a perfect match

Saskia

Dear Sas,

Whina seems like a doll. I wish and pray you will both bond the minute you meet so you can carry on with life, as difficult as I know that will be without your precious Yunah. All in due time.

You are truly special and worthy without proof, and know whichever doggie you pick, he or she will show you so just like your Yunah.

God Bless you throughout the holidays and all the days to come, and we will always remember your girl with so much love.

Xo Jeanette and Princess

Sas

So happy Yunah is home with you - rest sweet Angel------

I hope you find a quick match for you - Whina is so cute - let us know how it goes -- Love and lots of hugsssssss to you my friend xoxoxo
    xoxo Cindy & Penny

Okay, this is not Yunah's thread...but today she would have had her 6th birthday, my babygirl Yunah. It's a difficult day...

Saskia.