Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Holidays can be hard...

Default Re: Holidays can be hard...

Happy New Year to you, too, Joan! I totally get it about downsizing the tree and the ornaments —I’ve done exactly the same thing. We used to have a huge tree and it took a ton of ornaments. Now the tree is much smaller, and I’ve pulled the most special ornaments out of the tubs to use, leaving the rest all packed up. Of course the most special of all are the photo ornaments of all the family pets through the years — they go on first and get the prime spots.

I can easily imagine how your heartstrings were pulled by those images of Lena and Gable alongside the tree. Sweet, sweet memories, indeed. Such sweet Cushbabies, both of them. I’m so sorry that you and they ended up afflicted with this disease. But if there’s any silver lining at all, it’s that they brought you to our family. For that we’re so grateful, for all the help you give us and all the support you give to our members.

You deserve a safe and happy new year, Joan, and I truly hope that’s exactly what you’ll be getting in 2020!

Well, it’s a rainy day here in the southeast, so a good time to take care of some “indoor” chores. One of these is to go ahead and close the door of our holiday house here at the end of another winter holiday season. I still have Christmas decorations to pack away, but our tree has been taken down and driven over to be recycled into mulch. When we add our tree to the pile at the center, I feel sad to part with it, but I like to imagine all the trees having lively conversations among themselves in tree-talk — comparing notes about their own holidays and the families who sheltered them. So silly, I know, but it makes it easier for me to drive away in our now-empty car ;-).

As you already know, this holiday season carried a whole mixture of emotions for me. Some really, really sad moments. But also some totally unexpected and especially sweet surprises. Every year, I’m so grateful to reopen this thread so as to have a safe place to come and share my own thoughts. And I thank everybody else who stopped by to visit, as well.

And now, another new year is launched for us all. Best wishes to all our family until the time comes to throw open the door to our holiday house once again!

Marianne

I do hope everyone will have a great new year . To me its just another year without the ones I loved the most . Yes , I am grateful I still have my dad and brother , And my mom, even if we do not talk . The loss of my baby and the man I was to marry is too much for me to bear . I feel so sorry for the people here who have suffered losses of their love ones. I have closed the door to love . Much easier that way

Hi Dawn,

Closing the door to the love of a partner is something I understand...and regret deeply now that many years have passed since I made that same decision. I hope you will reconsider and allow love to remain a possibility. Not that you have to actively seek a partner but just be open to the possibility.....once you have had time to heal a little bit. This is all still too fresh and taking time to heal is the most important thing right now. But don't make my mistake and slam that door shut then nail that sucker down solid. I don't want to think of you reaching my age and looking at the coming years with fear and loneliness. You are a special lady and someone out there is just waiting til you are ready to try again because you are exactly what they need. Your family here knows that and we are here for you always.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi Everybody. I just now finished setting up a few of my favorite Halloween decorations, and the pumpkins are out on the front steps, awaiting carving on the 31st. I’m relaxing now, with Luna beside me. And I have been debating whether or not to go ahead and reopen our Holiday House for yet another season. Our little family here has shrunk quite a bit, and I don’t know whether any other folks will feel like dropping in this time around. But then I decided that this year, of all years, may be a time when a “virtual” holiday home may actually be a comfort and a refuge. The big, in-person get-togethers that are usually the hallmark of the holidays will largely be on hold for so many. But anybody from anywhere in the world can safely stop by here — anytime! And we’ll be so glad to see you if you do.

As far as Halloween, I don’t yet know whether any kids in our neighborhood will be trick-or-treating this year. But if so, I’ve thought about setting up a card table at the end of our driveway, with individual baggies of candy for the kids to pick up on their own. If it’s a pretty night, I can sit on my front step and wave at them from a distance. I’ve got some luminary bags that I can fill with orange candles to light the way to the table. And of course, our jack-o-lanterns.

Regardless of the trick-or-treating, Luna can wear the orange collar that I promised her last year. And I can make some yummy treats for hubby and me. Just like everything else this year, things will be different in so many ways. But the traditions that we’re able to maintain will hopefully be a bridge to better days ahead...

So there you go — that’s it from me for now. But please do stop by anytime if anybody else is in the mood to chat, or reminisce, or plan, or vent. As always, we’re here for the good and the bad. The happy and the sad. We’re here to listen to everything that our family chooses to share.

Marianne

Your Halloween plans sound great, and I can picture sweet Luna with her pretty orange collar. I was surprised to find out that our township is having trick or treating this year so if Misty's Dad doesn't get her that weekend her Mom and I will take her, she hasn't said what she wants to dress up as, I'll have to ask her!

Awwwwww, I remember when Misty was such a cute little wolf

Was that just last year, or maybe even earlier? Gosh, the years roll past so quickly now. And I’ll bet she’s growing like a weed in between!

So far it looks like there will be trick or treating here. No after parties for the boys, though because a lot of their friends are going to school, while they are doing virtual. Josh and I decorated the front yesterday, just the stick in the ground stuff. I don't know how I'm going to hang my little white garbage bag ghosts that the boys made when they were little as the dogwood in the front was cut down last Spring. They always looked so cool hanging from the branches and dangling in the wind...maybe I'll put them in one of the trees in the back. The animatronics won't go out until Halloween Day.

Their house is totally decorated inside and out. All his zombies and animatronics are out front. He used a theatrical makeup kit that he got for Christmas last year and made his own zombie head out of styrofoam, then Sigi helped him make a body with arms and legs. They ordered hands and feet to attach to it. That one stays in the house. It looks awesome!

Josh orchestrated a Haunted Walk-thru in his house just for family to see with Sigi, Alex and himself dressing up and participating as props. He can't go to Bayville this year because of the risk, so he created his own. He even had messages sent to our phones with a voice-over invitation with all the details. He is something else! It was amazing...they all had a part and have been practicing for days! Poor Jess, she's so organized and it must kill her to have to put all that stuff away after each showing!

I missed Lena so much yesterday, she used to love to be outside and watch as we decorated. Sibbie was more interested in rolling around where other dogs, birds, squirrels, etc. have been on the lawn. But we had fun anyway and we did some lighted stuff in the house.

Not sure how many kids will show, but I've got the candy!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

As always Marianne, you are here to brighten things up. I have not been on much, just taking care the In Loving Memory section is looked after and backed up; but I do think of everyone very often.

The Holidays, starting with Halloween, are going to be pretty much virtual this year for us sadly. In our town, no trick or treating or parties. No get togethers for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year either. I think this makes the Holiday Season much sadder when we all need togetherness more than ever. So, this thread and site will be continue to be a haven for many during this time.

An update on our last doggie, Cailey is 14 years old and is having a loads of trouble with her gall bladder and kidney infections these past months. Several times we thought we lost her too. She seems to be on the mend after tons of tests, ultrasounds, medications etc...maybe we have found a balance to keep her going.

All my best to everyone!!!
    Terry

Oh Joan, your family’s combined decorations and Josh’s walk-through sound amazing!!! Sure wish I could drop by and visit, for real. And I do understand about missing Lena. The reason why Luna gets to wear the orange collar is because Peg is not here. So it’s very bittersweet to be passing it on. Sweet that Luna finally gets her chance, but at the same time, the ache is there in my heart over missing our shiny black Halloween girl...

I saw on the COVID thread that you’re finally retired — YAY for you, and I know the furkids must be in heaven to have you with them 24/7 now! All your cooking and baking makes my mouth water. I’ve definitely gained weight since March, but I just can’t seem to resist trying out new recipes while I’m stuck in the house so much. Oh well. At least the preparing and the eating brings me pleasure, even if my expanding waistline doesn’t ;-))).

And Terry, it’s so great to have you stop by! I hope maybe you’ll come back again over the next couple of months. You know we are sisters here forever. All of the K9C furbabies that we’ve loved and honored together on ILM. All of our own furbabies that we’ve treasured through the years. I remember so clearly when you first rescued Cailey. And now, here we are, with both of our remaining “babies” in their sunset years. Seemingly all in the blink of an eye.

Anyway, it’s so good to see you here. And yep, in the absence of family celebrations, I’m betting I’ll be writing here even more than usual, and you all know what a big mouth I have, anyway . Many thanks to you guys who’ve already stopped by, and I’ll definitely be looking forward to more chats to come.