Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Holidays can be hard...

Default Re: Holidays can be hard...

Sweet Addy,

It is always so good to hear from you! I love the story of Zoe's tree and fully believe she has had a hand in keeping it "alive". Not only did she need to see it she also knew you did as well. But I am so sorry to hear about Lucy - I know how much she meant to you especially after Zoe had to leave. Funny how we can become so attached to a baby who doesn't even live with us but there was just something special about Lucy that the two of you shared all those years. It is very good to hear that Koko is still going strong and like Marianne my mind was full of images of him on that elevator fully engaged in his new perspective!

I hope you and yours have the Happiest of Holidays, full of love and laughter, joy and peace.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

My mom died this morning. Christmas is going to suck even more than usual this year!
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Oh Kathy...I'm so sorry.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Oh my gosh! Kathy, I’m so sorry, too! Had she been ill, or was this unexpected? Either way, I know how extra hard the loss is, right now at the holidays. I’m truly so sorry, and wish there was some way we could be a help to you.

Sending many hugs across the miles, and wishing so much I could deliver them personally...

She had been struggling with chronic issues for a few years, but remained mentally sharp to the end. She was doing OK despite many health challenges until this past Monday. She would fall often and I wasn’t able to lift her. The situation was increasingly getting more difficult, but we were making it work. I took her to Emergency on Monday after having an increasingly difficult night. After many tests, her outlook was bleak. She was moved to the ICU early Friday morning and died six hours later. After assuring her that I would take care of dad, we let her go in peace. That was her choice. My folks had been married 67 years. He’s not in the best shape either, I think that he’s been hanging on to take care of her. So yes, she had been struggling, but there was no cancer and she was stable. Her sudden passing was unexpected, But better for her.

Oh Kathy, this sounds so much like what happened with my mom last Christmas. It’s such a gift to us that they were cognitively intact and in charge of their own final decisions so we won’t ever have to second guess that part. But what a shocking loss to have them “here” with us one day and then gone the next. I totally understand that it was better for her. But now your own life and that of your dad is changed forever. I wonder how long he’ll be able to hang on without her. For both of you, things will be so different now.

Of course I can’t know how this all feels to you, but I sure do remember how last Christmas felt to me — and how “off” the holiday season remains to me this year. So please come back any time you want to in the coming days to write more and to talk. I sure wish we still had our round-the-clock, round-the-world crew in place. But during my own waking hours, I’ll be here and checking in, OK? East coast shift firmly in place! And in the meantime, please take as good care of your own self as you can.

Many more hugs coming your way.

Kathy,

I am so sorry to hear about your mom but glad she was able to go in peace with minimal suffering. My prayers are with your and yours. I understand how the death of a loved one during this time of year is especially difficult.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Oh Kathy,
    I am so incredibly sorry!!!! My heart is with you!!!!
    Terry

Thank you ladies. It's really tough now, especially right before the holidays. There is so much to do and things keep surfacing that I hadn't thought of before. My folks have lived with me for many years, so my mom is everywhere in my house. That's both comforting and extremely sad at the same time. I still have my dad who is 88. They were married 67 years. I have been trying to keep him from crumbling, which is understandably a huge job. I'm extremely overwhelmed. It will get easier in time if I'm still sain by then. Right now, two days before Christmas, it all Sucks!!! Now, that's a Grinch for you!

Most of us have suffered the lost of a loved one, whether human or fur. Sometimes its not easy to see joy in the holidays. I feel that way every year when the holidays come . But if we just take a few minutes and think about what we still have, than one can be grateful for those things . They too will not be here forever. Merry Christmas my dear friends .