Page 35 of 53 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Holidays can be hard...

Default Re: Holidays can be hard...

I hope my family here had a wonderful Christmas! Sad memories, good memories are what life is all about. But we are a strong group here, we've all lost ones we love and are working hard to keep the babies we still have safe and healthy. I think we can get through most anything after going through Cushings's. It's a terrible, heartbreaking disease and it puts us and our pets through the wringer: the testing. the food challenges, the vet bills, and the ups-and-downs. But we do get through it, scarred, but we go on.

I am so thankful for all the friends I've made here. I don't know how I would've gotten through this with Lena if it hadn't been for all of you.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Love,
    Joan
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

I'm a little late posting for Christmas, flew back to Ontario to be with family. Home now and hoping everyone had a very Merry Christmas. Today is New Years Eve, it will be quiet around here just another evening for me. Guess it's because I worked so many New Years Eves, I welcome the quietness. So Happy New Year to all of our family here at K9C and may the new year bring happiness, peace and comfort to those who have lost our babies and to those battling the disease. HAPPY NEW YEAR - Everyone.
    Judi & "mah boy" Keesh

Hey Joan and Judi, thanks so much to you both for writing. It’s going to be very quiet here at our house, too. Just my mom joining us for today and tomorrow, and no special plans other than cocooning around the TV to watch old movies, football, and to stay warm. Compared to those of you further north, we have nothing to complain about, but still, this coming week will be plenty cold for us. My mind always turns to worry over the humans and animals who are stuck outdoors — I sure hope that there will be shelter for all who need it.

New Year’s Eve is always kind of a poignant time of reflection for me, and it looks as though today will be no exception. Overnight, I dreamed about one of my best friends who passed away a couple of years ago. In my dream, she looked so well, and told me that she was doing much better with her treatment. It was so wonderful to see her. But then when I woke up my eyes were filled with tears, realizing it was indeed only a dream. As I age, there are more loved ones absent than are present, that’s for sure. Partly that’s my own bad, because I have become fairly reclusive and could get off my butt and involve myself in more community activity that would hopefully lead to new friendships. Tomorrow, New Year’s Day, will more likely be my time for looking forward and making those kinds of resolutions. But today and tonight, my mind turns backward. And missing so many, so dearly. There’s such an ache inside me for them all.

And that’s why I’m so grateful for my friends here at K9C. I thank you for supporting me here, every single day. I wish you my very best in the coming year. May 2018 truly be a most happy new year for our entire family!

Stopping in to wish you all Happy Holidays.

The New Year can be a time of much reflection, years past, years to come. I read a quote recently: change is hard in the beginning, messy in the middle and glorious at the end. I stopped to wonder about that glorious ending as it seems for me it stays messy a long time.

This year is the first year since losing Zoe that her bird tree stands in all its glory, fully adorned and magnificent, gracing our living room.
    This year is the first year that I can appreciate and love Zoe’s tree’s beauty, feeling my little girl’s essence in every twinkling light and loving every minute of its glory.

So perhaps it may be that glorious ending I could not seem to find was because I was looking for it in the wrong places or perhaps did not even want to find the ending.

We are going out for the evening as we did last year. After spending many years at home, mostly asleep, I find myself craving a celebration to start the New Year. Off we go in the bitter, bitter cold to ring in 2018.

Love to you all, memories held close of all we have lost, and my hopes you might find a glorious ending in an unexpected place.

And if not glory, may we all find peace.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

So glad you put up Zoe's bird tree Addy. When I close my eyes, I can picture it in all it's glory.

I'm not doing anything special for New Years Eve. I will probably be sound asleep long before midnight.

We need Sharlene to report in, so we can live vicariously through her. Happy New Year all!

Kathy
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Wishing you a better New Years. Too many sleepy New Years at home. Maybe next year go out New Years Eve. Will probably be asleep when the clock ticks Midnight. When did I get so old? My Apollo has visited through Humming birds flying up to me and my Mom. Saying I'm okay Mom and watching over you. Miss my boy every day.
    Love Sonja, Apollo, Karma
    And our two rescues Ariel and Kristen

Well, ladies, here we are turning the page and starting out with a fresh calendar. Hey Kathy and Sonja, I figured I’d be joining you in slumberland early last night. But I hung on and actually watched the TV ball dropping in icy Times Square. A small achievement, but I did it ;-).

And Addy, how good to hear from you. I’m soooooooo happy for your (our!) joy over Zoe’s tree, and I hope you and hubby had a swell time last night :-). I was especially taken by these words you wrote, and on this first fresh day of a new year, they’ve really got me thinking. Yesterday I was so mired down in absences that I couldn’t imagine a world absent a connection with that pain. But truly, the ending of one story may herald the beginning of another, if only the right bridge can be built.

Quote Originally Posted by addy View Post
    So perhaps it may be that glorious ending I could not seem to find was because I was looking for it in the wrong places or perhaps did not even want to find the ending...

...Love to you all, memories held close of all we have lost, and my hopes you might find a glorious ending in an unexpected place..
    So maybe I can work on my bridge-building skills this year. I’m thinking that sounds like a pretty good new year’s resolution. Starting out, though, it’s time for a brisk walk at the lake with Luna followed by some fortified eggnog and the Rose Parade. Those are a couple traditions I’m going to hold on to!

Well, I made it up till well past midnight also! Stumbled across a new series on Netflix and I ended up watching several episodes in a row. It's a British drama based in the late 50's, early 60's. Who would've thought? The next thing I knew fire crackers were going off and horns were honking. Happy/probably drunk neighbors were out in the street screaming Happy New Year.

No deep reflections from me. Frankly, I'm not that deep! Hoping that 2018 is better than 2017, with more love, joy and happiness for all!
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Well, for our house, it’s the close of another winter holiday season. The Christmas tree ornaments were safely packed away yesterday, and our tree joined the others at the recycling center to be transformed into mulch for trails and gardens. That always makes me feel at least a little better about taking it away. A little, but not much. I really miss the glow of the twinkling lights on this cold January morning, and the living room seems so empty again. But it is what it is, and the pages on my new calendar start turning again. Every year we buy an old-fashioned paper calendar of daily pages with photos of Labs. We love seeing a new doggie face every morning. So now the 2018 calendar is on the shelf, and another new page gets turned this morning.

Once again, I want to thank everyone for stopping by this year. Having our holiday house here has come to mean a lot to me, and it has helped me through some very hard times. I hope the same is true for others, as well. And as I always say, the door here is also open throughout the rest of the year, too. There are plenty of other holidays in addition to the ones we’ve just celebrated. So until we talk again, I wish everyone my best.

With hugs to all,
    Marianne

I know I say this every year, but how is it possible that the months can fly by so quickly???? Here we are once again, with October upon us as well as the beginning of the autumn holiday season. I am so happy that I’ve finally managed to open the doors to our holiday house this year in time to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving! So for all our Canadian members, we hope that tomorrow will be a very special time for you all.

Having said that, however, we realize that all the holidays can be associated with all kinds of emotion and memories. Some are joyful, others not so much. So I’m going to repeat part of the welcome that I posted last year.

For any of our newbies, this is a thread where we can come and share our true feelings thru the holidays. Good times, and sad ones too. The holidays can trigger so many memories and so many mixed feelings. And especially when we're missing loved ones, it's good to have a place to come where it's OK to be real. No brave faces, no false smiles. Just real.
    So here we are and here we’ll stay, all through the holidays. Our table is always set. We’re here to laugh together and to cry together. We’re here to honor the friendship and understanding among our own little K9C family, and I hope our holiday home will always feel like a safe harbor to all. Any time. We’ll be here.

Welcome!
    Marianne