Page 31 of 53 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Holidays can be hard...

Default Re: Holidays can be hard...

We were absolutely dreading the holidays without Whiskey, he was such a HUGE part of all the festivities. We agreed that we weren't going to decorate for Christmas this year, but I think we will now. Tex will never ever replace him, but we are happy to have a pup here with us again. I will always be "Whiskey's Mom", my first pup, with us through so much. He is still the screen saver on my phone,, and so many other things.
    Marianne, I'm so sorry, I had that after a car accident-went to get out of bed a few days later & fell right over! Hope you're on the mend & able to be vertical soon!
    Sharlene, you are too funny-congrats on the new Baby Girl! Shop til you drop!

Annie, it's so great to see you back again -- and especially to hear about Tex!!! It warms my heart to wake up on this Halloween morning and to read about your new addition to the family. Nothing will change or diminish Whiskey's special spot in your heart, or the amount that you miss him. But it can mean so much to have new life around you once again, and especially on a holiday.

Just like last year, Peg's box will be adorned with her orange Halloween collar. And Luna will be proudly wearing her purple collar. We're having the same friends over for dinner and to hand out candy. So it'll be the same bittersweet experience, but hopefully perhaps a bit more sweet than bitter this time around. I'll never, ever forget my shiny black Halloween girl, though. Always in my mind's eye and always in my heart.

Happy Halloween, my sweetie Peg.

Hi everybody. Well, here we are, heading into Thanksgiving week here in the U.S. Back from the store with my first batch of groceries, and settling down to relax with Luna at my feet. I’m so grateful to have her with me, she is such a sweet little thing. Still missing my big girl, though, just like every day. I truly don’t think a single day passes that I don’t see Peg in my mind’s eye and wish so much that it was for real.

Yet and still, I am grateful for those who remain near and dear to me. We will have a small celebration here at our house on Thursday — hubby, my mom, a cousin, and of course Luna. I’ll cook our family favorites and it should be very cozy and pretty easy-peasy. But also filled with memories of earlier times and loved ones gone. A mixed blessing, but still a blessing for sure.

Please do feel free to stop by, anyone who wishes to, as the week unfolds. In the meantime, I send my warm wishes to all.

Marianne

Oh how I know, Marianne. Same here. Looking forward to it a little. My mom has Alzheimers and won't remember or know anything. But my sister, one of my brothers and my kids, grand-kids will be here and I am so thankful for that. My son, who is HIV+ for 7 years now, and my grandson Josh, who has Chronic Granulomatous Disease are still alive.

My precious, Lee will be forever in my heart and thoughts. This will be Sibbie's second Thanksgiving and I think now that she's older, will have such a good time!

I wish all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Love to all,
    Joan
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

This will be our first "big" holiday without Whiskey, he will be so badly missed. Last Thanksgiving, he was still a hungry boy and held his spot right by the buffet table, to help keep the floor clean , and of course under the dinner table also. Such a sweet presence will be missed forever, but I am grateful for the many blessings we have.
    Warm wishes to all of you,
    Annie

Happy Thanksgiving to my K9 Family,
    The holidays come up so quickly and then leave in a heartbeat.
    I am thankful for all of you and all the memories of time spent here is woven into the fabric of my being.
    This is the first Thanksgiving without my mom so we are switching it up and we are going out for dinner today which means no work for me. It is bittersweet.

Zoe of course would normally be running around the house filled with excitement so going away means the pain of Knollwood and Zoe is changed too.

We are all well, Koko went to an art auction last week, that was soooo funny. He did not bid on anything, lol.

Thinking of all of you, remembering too.

Happy Turkey Day
    Gobble

Addy
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Dear Addy, how lovely to see you here on this day of thanksgiving. Yes indeed, we are bound together by our love and our memories, that’s for sure. I do hope there was pleasure for you in this day, even though it was a different day than treasured celebrations in the past.

I love it that Koko made it to the auction! He is truly our cosmopolitan dog-about-town :-). We’d love to hear more if you’re ever in the mood to share stories about your sweetie pie.

Wishing you the best, Addy, and thanks so much for stopping by!
    Love, Marianne

Hi Addy (waving wildly!!)!

I have missed our old gang so much! Thank you for dropping in. It is so lovely to hear from you. You should have let Koko Puff bid. That would've been a hoot!

So many changes for all of us. Would love to hear from you more.

Many hugs,
    Kathy
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

aw Addy, always so very good to hear from you any time of the year. These ties that bind us and the memories we share are cherished by many. As are you and sweet Koko. I hope your holidays are joyful!

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Just found out this morning that Peg’s first friend, another black retriever, was released last weekend. Stella was almost 18 — an amazing age for a big dog. She was rescued from wandering around a deserted parking lot on a cold Christmas Eve all those years ago. I believe she was a Christmas angel sent to her adopted dad. She was surely his heart dog. They walked over at the lake every morning, just as we did. And when Peg was a baby puppy, Stella was her first pal. They ran and romped together on the baseball field, and walked alongside us around the lake. Peg grew to be much bigger than Stella, but she always remained Stella’s baby puppy at heart. Nobody and nothing brought greater joy to Peg than spotting Stella arriving, off in the distance. She would race to greet her, as fast as her feet could fly.

It was such a loss for us all when Peg could no longer go to the lake. And now it had been a while since I’d seen Stella, as well. Just too hard for aging hips and legs. I saw Lou get out of his truck this morning, all by himself. And he told me that our girls are now back together once again.

She came to him at Christmas and now she physically left him again at Christmas, after 18 years of love and joy. My heart breaks for him, and it is a hard day for me, too. I believe Stella will always remain his Christmas angel in spirit, just as Barkis and Peg are mine. But that doesn’t keep our tears from falling. Our beautiful shiny black dogs. Running together once again on strong healthy legs. Best friends forever and ever. Always in our hearts.