Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Holidays can be hard...

Default Re: Holidays can be hard...

Thank you, Glynda!!!

Well, it's morning after. My day was very similar to the way Halloween felt. I was hostessing again, but only for five of us so it was not an overwhelming group. I was so busy during the middle of the day that I was really just focused on getting the food on the table and making sure glasses were full. And then, of course cleaning up. So many hours of prep, what feels like a few minutes of actual eating, and then hours of cleanup ...

Luna was a very good girl, but again, seemed a bit lost without her big sister leading the way.

It was early in the morning and later in the evening, when all the work was done and the house was quiet again, that I was thinking so much about my big girl, my shiny black dog. Love you and miss you so much, my angel. I will never forget our holidays together because you always made them so special, and I thank you so much for sharing your life with me.

Happy Thanksgiving (day after) to all.

I guess that is the good thing, that everything involved in a holiday keeps you so very busy, there is little time to feel those pangs of anguish. Until the quiet moments, then it is unavoidable.

Big hugs to all.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Happy Cyber Monday.....(if that's your "thing")!!
    I didn't realize the gang was all here. I vote for pizza with pepperoni.
    Our thanksgiving dinner out was okay. Just not very festive. But then we left there and went to an outlet mall and made a killing on 5 things we needed to get....that brightened our spirits.
    Addy-YES! bird tree!
    Hugs to all.
    Susan
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
    -C. S. Lewis

The Christmas tree was put up today. It brought back memories of how very easy Buddy was. He was a person in a pint sized dog suit. He never bothered the tree or any decorations or ornaments. He was too busy doing his jobs, which were hunting those pesky lizards, chasing critters out of the yard and those nasty birds who invaded his air space. Most of all guarding those that he loved.

Rosie, known as Monkey Girl, is the complete opposite. She is fascinated with everything that is new, different and sparkly. She couldn't stay away from the Christmas tree if her life depended on it. For the last few years, the tree has been safely tucked inside of the dog pen and Rosie has been out. I was hoping that we could do it a little differently this year, meaning not penning the tree. Within seconds Rosie had manages to crawl under it and attempt to pull off all the pom-poms from the tree skirt. So, once again the dog pen went up! She then sat there at the fence and shoved her paw through the bars attempting to get to the sparklies. It is funny, but makes me miss my sweet Buddy even more. Rosie is tons more work, but also a whole lot of fun.

I want them all back! Each and every one of them remains special and so very loved.

Dido to everything you said. Apollo would get so excited he'd rip open his present, Karma's and any present in his sight. Miss my boy. Ariel is so different. Wishing you all a blessed holiday season.
    Love Sonja,Apollo

Hey Kathy, I'm wondering the exact same thing -- whether or not the tree will need to be penned this year without Peg here.

We have discovered that a couple of "issues" that we had always assumed were Luna's doing must have actually been Peg instead. Like who was gnawing holes in the Afghan covering the couch, and who was the "barker" when there was any neighborhood activity during the night.

As a team, the girls could not be trusted around the tree. Whether or not that will change this year, we don't yet know. But of course, I'd take the ex-pen anytime -- in a skinny minute -- if it meant having Big Girl back again...

Lena never bothered the tree, she just liked to sit in my lap and look at it, or I would hold her in my arms while I put the ornaments on. Cooper, on the other hand, used to pee on it! I had to put scat mats around it to keep him away. And my big boy, Gabe, never does anything wrong....

So far Sibbie has not tried to take the bottom ornaments off (even though I have caught her staring at them). She had a temper tantrum when she saw one that looked like a ball and couldn't get it off, so I moved it where she couldn't see it. If she decides to bother the tree, I'll just put up her doggie fence around it.

It is already starting to get to me that Lena won't be here. Last night we had a fire going in the front room and Sibbie lay down on the floor in front of it with one of her toys, and it looked so familiar. It hit me that it looked just like Lena when we were in Williamsburg. I had made a Christmas card out of that picture. I showed it to my husband and we both started crying and talking about her. I was surprised to find that he must miss her as much as I do, he always listens when I start, but hasn't talked about his feelings. I'm not sure if that made me feel better or worse....
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Oh yea, this Christmas is going to suck.

The other night I lost it. We were trying to clean up the house, just get things in order with winter starting and I said to put the basket with the kids scarves and gloves on the bottom shelf of table at the entry way. This is also where mollys suitcase of coats is kept and still is there. So I picked it up and said, here take it downstairs for now to my husband, then he says, well what is in it and our daughter is saying no leave it, it's so pretty. By now I am hugging that suitcase to my chest like I couldn't let it go and they just keep talking at me, what in it, whats in it, leave it. I finally buried my head in that suitcase and just burst into tears and said it's mollys coats and sweaters, thrust the suitcase towards my husband and ran for the bathroom bawling.

And here I am at work, with tears flowing down my face just typing about it. Geeeezzz I have two meetings coming up in 20 minutes, one of the phone with customers and managers and another right after with a company VP. I can't do this with tears.

Her special sheepskin rug, still not washed because hubby won't let me, is under the tree where she always lay on it. Giselle the cat, who is daily getting the crap beat out of her by the other cat and so has kicked in my protective nature, sleeps on it when she can. That feels okay to me, but it will always be mollys and I wish like hell she was there.

crud, got to go fix face. laters
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Aww, Sharlene...I know. Lena's Christmas dress and t-shirt are in my bedroom where I can look at them...we finally found her baby pictures and I feel like a weight is off my shoulders...I just keep looking at them. All of her favorite dog beds are being used, they could probably be thrown out, but that will never happen.

Everyone is putting their orders in for shortbreads, but just the thought of making them without her sitting next to me while I prepare and bake, is making me not want to do it. I put all her ornaments on the tree, including the new ones "no longer by my side, but forever in my heart"...it sucks.

I thought my husband didn't understand, but I know now that he does, so maybe I don't have to hide while I'm crying anymore. It still shocks me that she is gone.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Hugs ladies......
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha