Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Holidays can be hard...

Default Re: Holidays can be hard...

I am sorry so many are feeling so sad.
    Last edited by mommyslittlegirl; 12-16-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Marianne & Addy and Woodydog--I hate when Christmas cannot be the magical experience we have become accustomed to. It's true for me this year as well.

Ryan and Ellen just visited this weekend both to celebrate Bob's birthday and then to celebrate Christmas. Bob did zero on the Christmas decorating. I did find a small tree with cute, multicolored twinkling lights. I was able to find an ornament that looks like a star and that became the topper. And I used my collection of Swarovski Christmas ornaments to decorate it. The top is a rather long branch and the star topper tends to make it droop over....so it is lovingly called my "Charlie Brown" tree. It's 36" tall which is a far cry from the 8 ft ones we have had in this house since we moved here 13 years ago. I also realized that last year was probably the last year we will ever have a magnificent tree like that with all the lovely, memory sparking decorations. This year there were no outside lights, no candles in the window and just my lonely little tree plus 2 other decorations that I put out.....and now they are away....as Ellen & Ryan are gone and on Tuesday Bob & I leave for FL.

I have been missing Palmer especially so. Not sure why. He was such a comfort to me. Just by being here. And he sure got a kick out of Christmas morning!! But life moves on, time moves on and like it or not, things change. So I am trying to be a brave little soldier, at least for now. I will say I don't like it!!

In case I don't get back on here before the new year, my best wishes go out to all of you for a special Christmas and a happy new year. A new year, a new beginning.

With love,
    Susan/Sus/Palmer's Mom & Bailey's Mom.
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
    -C. S. Lewis

Oh Susan, so great to hear from you, and I can't help but smile at my vision of your little Charlie Brown tree. I know it's a change for you, but it sounds so sweet. I hope you and Bob and Bailey have a good and safe trip to Florida this week. Gotta warn you that it may be even warmer than usual, though. I was only wearing a t-shirt yesterday and was still sweating while we were wrangling our tree. Crazy, crazy weather!!

Alright kids, drum roll please.... But putting up the tree yesterday turned out to be even better than OK. It was fun.

I know things will feel very different to me when my mom is not here with us at all, as opposed to just being across town. But for this year, things worked. Hubby stepped up to the plate and came over to keep me company. Brought a magazine and sat in a nearby chair, and continually offered comments and placed a couple of his favorite ornaments himself. Plus, the girls were angels and came and sat between us and did not try to topple the tree or carry ornaments away in their mouths or bash the boxes with their tails. It was different, but it was good. Perhaps a new tradition has been born...

Most special of all was jointly deciding where to put our beloved bobble-head Barkis. Since even as an Administrator I am too dumb to know how to insert more than one thumbnail in a reply, we'll handle this in two replies. First, here was real Barkis with his favorite toy of all -- a deflated basketball that he would heave around the house and proudly retrieve.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And now, here's our bobble-head Barkis ornament (the "basketball" is actually a food bowl that we painted orange ).

It always holds a place of honor on the tree, just like our memories of our boy when he was at his very best.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love, love, love, bobble head Barkis. I'm glad that your tree trimming turned out to be different, but OK Marianne. I can just see hubby supervising. I have a few of those around my house too. Lol

Hugs to you Marge! Two years ago, on the 21st, I lost my dear Lucy cat. The holidays meant nothing to me. All I wanted was Lucy at my side again. I'm sorry for your loss of Fritz and for his absence this Christmas in your life. I pray for you healing over the days, weeks, and months to come. It does sound as if happiness might be soon ahead for you.

Sorry for this rough season, Addy. May you get some needed rest.

Yes, Marianne, it would be lovely to go back in time and make things stay the same. Then again, I remember the last time I said this to someone. I got the wise response that to make things stay the same would be to miss out on all the lovely things of the future. Those words came from my boyfriend who had just broken up with me and who incidentally now is my husband. To go back time, I would still have all my beloved pets. But I would miss out on the family of critters I now have. Ah, to have both! I enjoyed your photos. Thanks for posting them! May your Christmas be good, even if different.

To everyone else, I wish you a blessed Christmas. May memories bring you joy. Let the new year be a a time of recovery from grief and a better one in every way.

As for me, as I said at the start, two years ago this month, I lost my dear Lucy cat. She was an affectionate and loyal friend. So much of what I do now for animal welfare is her honor.

This season I've kept so busy, Christmas is only now sneaking up on me. Since the summer, we've gotten two new cats, including a kitten. It'll be interesting to see what they make of gifts and holiday food.

I've enjoyed poking around here since our adopted dog's death in the spring and reading people's stories. In the new year, I'll try to do more of this and maybe share a few more tales of our full critter household.
    Allison and Angel Gizmo

Allison, it's so good to see you here! Thanks so much for writing, and definitely we will be watching for more stories in 2016.

Also, I just want to take a moment to remind everybody of our special candle-lighting site. At this time of year, my own heart is especially drawn to the candles and the light that they bestow. If anyone wishes to light a candle at any time, just follow the instructions here:

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517

Marianne

Marianne, the candle lighting page hasn't worked for me in quite some time. I am able to view our K9C Candles, but when I light one, it doesn't show up with the others. I'm not sure what's going on with that.

Kathy

Hmmmmm....I dunno what the problem could be.

You're sure you're including K9C or k9c within the actual body of your message?

Yes, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by labblab View Post
    You're sure you're including K9C or k9c within the actual body of your message?