Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849

Thread: Holidays can be hard...

Default Re: Holidays can be hard...

The Holidays are upon again..
    How I long to see those 4 little feet rustling through the piles of leaves. Leaves so deep all I can see is a happy little face and tail standing erect! How Ginger loved making all the noise she could in those leaves..
    Next week she would be right by my side in the kitchen as the ham and Turkey cooked.. waiting for me to " "accidentally" drop a small piece now and then. Those big brown eyes waiting in anticipation. The Holidays truly are the hardest, the most empty... cherish every moment with your precious pups, your families..
    Blessings to all, Colleen

Hi there Colleen! Yep, the holidays can truly be so hard. And of them all, I think Thanksgiving has been the hardest for me ever since my mom died three years ago. I know I've talked about this before, but she was such a wonderful cook and baker, and sharing Thanksgiving with her was always such a special joy. In recent years while she was still alive, we'd only hosted small gatherings at my house, but having her alongside me in the kitchen was such a blessing. She knew just how to time everything, and even towards the end when she didn't feel like doing the cooking herself, she'd sit on a chair and coach me as I bustled around. And she *always* still made the pumpkin pie herself, with crust from scratch. Her special added ingredient was molasses. This week, when I see the molasses jar on the shelf, I still just want to cry.

Of course, COVID hasn't helped things. Because we felt afraid to travel in 2020, it was just hubby, Luna, and me here at home. Boy, I missed my mom so much I swore that we had to do something different last year. So we packed up Luna and ourselves and drove up to spend the week with my brother and his family in Tennessee. Given Luna's frailty, the traveling and hotel stay was stressful. But Turkey Day itself, spent alongside our larger family, was a relief to me. I had no cooking responsibilties, and just got to socialize and eat! We'd likely be doing a repeat this year, except Luna is now far too fragile to travel at all. And I don't feel like trying to coordinate with anybody else here locally. I totally realize this is my bad, not even to try to make things cheerier for myself. But I just don't feel like it. Said no depressed person anywhere, anytime: "Let me schedule a big group activity that I have to be cheery and "up" and responsible for!!" So it'll be hubby, Luna, and myself once again. Since I have absolutely no expectations, though, maybe the holiday will turn out OK after all. I do love to eat, and since I'm only cooking for ourselves, I can make exactly what I want to. And having Luna here with us yet again for another Thanksgiving is absolutely a gift that I shall not overlook. But for the most part, I'll just be piddling around the house this next week. So if anyone wants to stop by here to chat, I'll be available. And I do definitely hope that the rest of our K9C family has as safe and satisfying a Thanksgiving celebration as they possibly can!

Marianne

Marianne,
    Happy Thanksgiving... I am truly sorry how difficult this time of year is, especially today for you. I do so understand about the molasses..
    Any time I went to the store I had trouble in the potato chip isle. My dad loved Pringles so any package of them brought me to tears. Still can at times... Same with Ging and the pet food isle.... I.....Just.... can't...yet.
    It is just Ron and I today. Will possibly go over to see momma and my sister for just a little bit this evening.
    I am so glad Luna is enjoying another Thanksgiving with you both! So, so special.
    Sending hugs and love to you..
    Colleen