Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Holidays can be hard...

Default Re: Holidays can be hard...

And we'll be here to pass hugs all around the circle -- from one to the next to the next, until they come right back to the beginning. All our family together here, standing shoulder-to-shoulder and heart-to-heart!

Marianne

I'm off this week for Thanksgiving break and Buddy should be here. It's makes me sad that he will never be again.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Our thoughts are filled with memories on every holiday throughout the years, but I think the "firsts" are especially rough. At least, they have been for me. There is no chance yet to try to create a new normal. It all just feels totally abnormal.

Shooting some of those big hugs your way, Kathy.

anticipation of "lasts" is hard as well.

pretty much sucks the holiday spirit right out of me at times
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

So true Addy! thinking of you and your precious girl. (((Hugs))))

Thank you for this thread. I remember my Apollo would get so excited not only would he open his presents,but want to open everyone else's too. One year when my niece was about two, Apollo started opening up her present because she wasn't fast enough. Being the regal king that he was,he thought all the presents were for him
    Miss my baby every day.
    Hugs Sonja and Angel Apollo

OK kids, another November is here and another holiday season approaches. Wowsa, how can the days fly by? On the other hand, how can the hardest days seem to drag on forever...

Anyway, I thought I'd bump up this thread once again. Just in case anybody wants to drop by to share some smiles, tears, thoughts, memories, dreams, wishes, hopes and sorrows. I know for me, the holidays are made up of all those things, including some of my tenderest feelings and greatest longings for loved ones who are physically absent.

Anybody who knows me here knows I like to yak! It brings me comfort to talk and to write. I surely understand it is not the same for everybody. But for anyone else who also finds solace in adding a note here or sharing a group hug, please know you are welcome no matter what is on your mind or in your heart. Good or bad, happy or sad. This is a place we can come all through the holidays, knowing our K9C family understands things that perhaps our other friends and family do not. Like how much it matters that things are forever changed by the absence of a sweet warm body and a dear face at the table, at the party, in the kitchen, at the fireplace, at the window, at the door, by the tree, in your lap, beside your chair, just being loved.

Starting things off with a giant bear hug from me, in honor of my Barkis and the joy he always brought us at the holidays. He was a December baby, as was my dad. Both will always be so special to me in the heart of my holiday memories.
    Marianne

Last year sucked with regard to the holidays. I was down for the count with Whooping Cough the entire months of December and January. I could barely function, so celebrating the holidays did not happen. That wasn't even the worst part. Previously, whenever I felt poorly, Buddy never left my side. Him not being there with me was worse than being sick by far. I am hoping for a healthier holiday season. I have hand sanitizer all over the classroom. Hopefully the germ magnets will get the hint.

Boy, I remember your Whooping Cough as though it was yesterday. What a nightmare!!!

It would be nice if you could issue surgical masks to the germ bombs along with the hand sanitizer...

But yeah, the cough involved physical pain while Buddy's absence was deep emotional pain. Your first holiday season without him would have been so hard, regardless. You layer on the cough, and it became a double, triple, quadruple whammy.

I know you will still be missing Buddy terribly this year, as well as all your rituals together. But hopefully you will have your physical health intact so that you can participate in some outward celebration. Inwardly, you will still ache at times -- probably often. But sometimes when I think I am only going through the motions, I discover I actually have more fun than I thought would be possible. I hope the same may end up being true for you, and that some new memories can be made with Rosie to store in your heart alongside those precious times shared with your baby boy.

In that vein, I can think of no better way to describe the holidays than bittersweet. Such a double-edged sword, in so many ways.

I do not think I could handle putting up Zoe's tree. Actually, I know I cant do it. I had hoped we could go away for Christmas with Koko but now I have this never ending cough and hubby has a medical procedure coming up mid December so we cant get away.

I thought really hard about maybe putting up Zoe's tree but decorating it with my antique ornaments rather than her beautiful birds. Then I realized I would have to lock Koko up in the kitchen again as I would be too worried leaving him home alone with a tree filled with glass ornaments.

So now I guess I will just stop planning anything, live in the moment and go with the flow, whatever I do.

I am so dreading Thanksgiving without Zoe barking at the table and being so excited. I try to banish the thoughts from my mind and just not think about it. Sort of going through the motions without too much thinking involved.

Firsts are hard.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter