Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: Holidays can be hard...

Default Re: Holidays can be hard...

Merry Christmas to all!

Lena's ornaments are on the tree just where I can see them from my spot on the couch. She was missed, and mentioned many times.

I put the dogs toys under the tree while Sibbie was napping, went upstairs to bring down the grandsons presents, and in the space of about 10 minutes she had gotten up and opened all of them! LOL! I managed to get a video of her shredding the paper on the last one , she just loves new toys!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Doree, Gable, Cooper, Angel Phoenix and now Sibble.

Omigosh, Joan, I can just picture Sibbie’s joy and it makes me smile, too! Your tree is such a sweet bridge between your memories of Lena and the pleasures you share with Sibbie in the present moment.

I just read this quote this morning, and it really made me think. Apparently it was written some years ago by a Florida journalist named Jan Glidewell.

You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present.
    Yes, it *really* makes me think. I’ve sure been doing an awful lot of clutching these past couple of years. And I do think I’m paying a price for that. But the past remains so dear to me that I’m not sure I even have the will to stretch my arms back out. At least not yet. But I do believe I’m paying a price. Maybe my task for this coming year is to try to build some more bridges, myself, between the past and the present so that I can travel more easily between the two. And maybe try out more embracing and less clutching. But will my arms ever feel as full again now as they did in the past? I don’t know that I’m brave enough yet to try to find out. But it’s sure something for me to think about this week as the new year arrives...

How wise your thoughts, Marianne. I do understand and have similar feelings. Past, present and future. I allow myself glimpses of the past and then tell myself don’t look back, yet I know the past is so intertwined with every fiber of my being that even good, joyful memories carry the weight of never more.

I dream of days gone by.
    To understand
    To hold a hand
    I dream of days gone by.

I dream of days to come.
    To hold so dear
    No time to fear
    I dream of days to come.

Happy New Year Everyone!
    May we shed the weight of never more and dream of better days to come.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Addy, thank you so much for your lovely poem, and I can think of no better way to gently close the door of this yearís K9C holiday house than by taking what youíve written to heart. Itís really perfect.

In a few minutes, Iíll be heading off to take in my beautiful Christmas tree to be turned into mulch to bed a spring garden or a hiking trail. Iím so glad it will live on in a useful way, but the corner of the living room will sure look awfully dark again this evening...

Many thanks to all our family who stopped by to chat these last few weeks. Stay safe, stay healthy, and all best wishes for a much happier new year for us all.

Marianne