Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Remembering Corky with Lots of Love

Default Re: Remembering Corky with Lots of Love

Thank you so much Marianne. I know they are with me everyday, but it would be nice if we could go back in time. Our loved ones will always be very special to us. Thank you for being here for Corky and me. You will always be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Love and hugs,

Terri and (Angel) Corky

Theresa Baran DeShane, our Terri, passed away August 15, 2018, from complications after a broken hip.

Did you know my Terri? Let me tell you a bit about my dear friend.

Terri was a teacher. She taught in Ohio public schools until retirement then continued to teach in any capacity for as long as she could. At the Y and Senior Adult Center in her new hometown of Scottsdale, AZ she helped seniors learn how to use their computers, to send emails to their grandchildren, and operate a smart phone. She taught Zumba and step dance classes there as well until knee surgery put an end to her dancing days. Yet she continued to go to the classes so she could teach the new dance instructor. She couldn’t help it, she was a teacher.

Terri was a wife. A loving, devoted wife to Jay. She told many adventures the two of them shared over the years, always with laughter that was still filled with that giddy girlish gush over her guy decades later. When Jay got sick, Terri became a teacher again, teaching herself how to care for the one she so adored. She couldn’t help it, she was a teacher.

Terri was a mother. Oh, not the kind of mother you might be thinking of but mom nonetheless to a bouncing baby boy Boston Terrier, Corky. Terri wasn’t sure she wanted a dog but Jay did...and in a very short time, Terri was head over heels about both her guys – Jay and Corky. On the inevitable day that Jay had to leave this life, Terri found comfort in their precious Corky. She taught Corky and herself how to live each day loving and missing Jay, neither ever forgetting the one they adored. She couldn’t help it, she was a teacher.

In time, her precious Corky developed a disease called Cushing’s and he had the most difficult form to control. Terri’s response was to learn all she could about the disease, the tests, and the drug used to treat Corky. When conventional treatment protocols weren’t enough to control Corky’s disease, Terri began to search and search until, with Corky’s vet, they tried a rare and mostly unknown treatment protocol – and it worked! It helped her baby boy have more years, and more quality years, with his mom. Terri shared this unusual journey with others walking the Cushing’s path in the hopes it might help them if needed. Still today when a pup with the adrenal form of Cushing’s is having a difficult time gaining and maintaining control we refer them to Corky’s story where Terri taught all of us about that unique protocol. She couldn't help it, she was a teacher.

Much too soon, it was time for Corky to go be with Jay. Terri was left alone in a home echoing with the memories she had stored up to be cherished. Many conversations with friends across the country and around the world, many hours on the phone, sharing these memories through tears and choked laughter. When one after another of those on the Cushing’s journey lost their own babies, Terri was there to comfort, to cry, to laugh, sharing what she had learned about surviving terrible losses. She couldn't help it, she was a teacher.

Last night I sat in my bed ugly crying, sobbing, screaming in the rawness of my grief and realized a part of me was waiting for the phone to ring, to hear Terri say, “Hi, there. How are you?”, somehow knowing I was in pain. She always seemed to know when I needed her most. Had she called she would have told me something like - “You can get through this. You have been through much worse. I know you will be alright. And remember, I’m right by you with big tight hugs and loads of kisses for you and your babies.” But last night there was no call, there will be no more calls from my beloved friend, Terri. Now it is my job to take what she taught me about loss and use it to celebrate my friend’s amazing life.

So I invite all who love Terri to share in the comments below your stories about her and what she means to you. I believe with all my heart she will hear us and feel the love we send to her as she flies home to Jay and Corky.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

How sad, Leslie. I didn't know her, but after reading this, how I wish I had. She sounds like a wonderful person.

Hugs to you...
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Oh Leslie, such a beautiful tribute to Terri, she was a wonderful and loving person.

Oh, what a beautiful tribute indeed. I did not have the additional personal connection with Terri that you did, Leslie, and I send you my deep sympathy upon the loss of your dear friend. It is also a sad day for our entire K9C family who grew to know and love Terri “from afar.” It never ceases to amaze me how close our connections can become, considering how far flung we are around the world. As you have written so truly and clearly, Terri has been such a special member of our group, and it makes me cry to think that she’ll never come popping in, ever again. Her love for her boys was always so central to her own being, and I will try to comfort myself by thinking about their sweet reunion. But as the years pass by and more of our dear members fall away from us for a myriad of reasons, I do miss their presence so very much. For sure, Terri was a very special lady who I will miss deeply.

Thank you so much for letting us know about Terri’s life as well as her passing, Leslie. And on behalf of all our family, I write once again...

Always in loving memory. Always.

Beautiful, kind, loving,caring. Terry would call me when I was struggling over dealing with Apollo disease and death. It breaks my heart to hear of her passing. I started on the site when Corky was battling this disease. Terry handle herself with dignity, respect for others. Sweet a Terry may you be at peace up in heaven Corky and your husband are waiting for you. With all my love Sonja