Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My best friend (8 y/o Lab) Diabetic, Cushing's - Trilostane

Default My best friend (8 y/o Lab) Diabetic, Cushing's - Trilostane

My beautiful 8yrs. Old Lab has been diagnosed diabetic and Cushing’s. I am devastated. I feel so helpless and angry that his regular vet didn’t pick up on the fact that he was showing signs of Cushing’s. I never even heard of the disease until last summer because Ozzy tore his Achilles tendon and the orthopedic vet found that Ozzy had a pot belly and his fur wasn’t growing back from the operation. Last week Ozzy’s glucose levels were off the charts. He couldn’t hold his urine for more than 15mins. He would urinate while he slept. We thought he had a bladder infection so we brought a urine sample to the orthopedic vet. He was shocked at Oz’s glucose levels and told us to get him to an internist. We got him in two days later. This vet did a full test on a new urine sample – no infection but very high glucose. I told her what the pervious vet suspected. She was more inclined that Ozzy was diabetic but could see that Ozzy has a pot belly and poor hair growth. Next day we brought him back for the ACTH test. She also prescribed insulin 10mg twice a day. We went through the weekend injecting him. He did show improvement. On the Mon. Oct. 31th, I tracked her down and was told yes, the ACTH confirmed Cushing’s. She ordered trisolane – 45mg twice a day. I should receive by the end of the week because it is coming from across country. I am so worried to say the least. I read so many sad stories and one vet even told me perhaps we should consider putting Ozzy down!!!! I want the best for my wonderful friend. I have concerns with the dosing schedule because two night of the week, my husband and I are not at home for the 7:00 p.m. shot. Can anyone tell me how they have handled a diabetic/Cushing’s dog? I just love him so much and want the best for him. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ozzysmom; 11-05-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Default Re: My best friend

Hi and welcome to you and Ozzie,

First, I want to send you to our sister group, k9diabetes. They are the experts in this area and I know they will be able to help you tremendously with his diabetes. You can find them at -

diabetes info
    http://k9diabetes.com/forum

Get registered with them asap.

We have several members here who deal with both conditions and I am sure they will be along soon to share their experiences with you.

As for the vet who said to put him down, phooey on them! Both conditions can be and are coped with by many people and the dogs do just fine. It is not uncommon at all for both to show up in a pup so you just ignore that nonsense!

It would help us a great deal if you could get copies of the tests he has had done and post the actual results here, including the units of measurement and normal ranges for each value. Don't worry about those that are normal, just post the abnormal results. Post all the info you have on the tests for Cushing's, tho - LDDS, HDDS, ACTH and/or ultrasound.

Also, can you tell us how much Ozzie weighs? This will help us make sure the dose prescribed is correct. We are here to help you every way we can tho we are not vets. We have lived with Cushing's in our own lives, tho, and have learned a great deal which we are more than willing to share.

The most important thing for you to know right now is that you and Ozzie are not alone on this journey. We, and k9diabetes, will be with you all the way.

Hang in there!
    Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Default Re: My best friend (8 y/o Lab) Diabetic and diagnosed Cushing's

Thanks Leslie for getting back to me so fast. I will get his test results a.s.a.p. As for his weight, he is currently 93lbs. What I forgot to mention yesterday was that Ozzy takes quite a long time to urinate. He is much better than before the insulin but he not peeing normally. I am so frighten to lost my big boy, I just start to cry just thinking about it. This morning, he ate well but just wanted to sleep. He also is sticking to me like glue. He seems to know that I know that he is sick and that we are trying to make him better, sounds crazy but it’s true. You are such a wonderful group of people and are doing an extremely important service. I wear my emotions on my sleeve and when people ask me what is wrong and I tell them, they generally look at me like "is that all!" Wow. I will keep in touch.

My Bazil was Cushingoid and Diabetic. She lasted a year longer than anyone expected. She passed away this past May.

The Cushings Diabetes combo is a tough one. Until the Cushings is under control, the diabetes likely won't be stabilized. It will take a lot of hard work and likely a few tears before you are out of the woods.

Diet is a huge thing for the diabetes. Can I ask what are you feeding him?

Let the Trilostene do it's job and once his levels come down, you should see improvement on the diabetes side too.

If you ever need to chat with someone who has been through this combo, PM me anytime!
    Zoey (JRT) age 1yr:
    healthy as a horse er JRT

Farfalle (JRT) RIP Aug 2012, age 13yrs:
    diagnosis Oct 2010, Trilostene 30mg/daily; arthritis, severe allergies

Bazil (JRT) RIP May 2011, age 14yrs:
    diagnosis Oct 2008, Trilostene 20mg/daily, Diabetic, Glaucoma, blind

Hello Polkaroo's Mom, I feed Ozzy a special food which he was on since birth. It is called Blackwood and is made in small batches. I have him on the low-fat one now. I also give him green beans, pumpkin and carrots. I am very careful what I give him to eat but he is also a true Lab and will steal food when he can. I see you are from Ontario, Canada. I lived in Montreal for thirty years. My parents are now in Ottawa. Getting pretty cold up there now I guess. Thanks for your concern.

Hi Ozzys Mom:

My Jenny was diagnosed with diabetes in May and her vet did not notice her Cushings until I asked about her pot Belly around July 4th also.

There have been cases of diabetics testing positive for cushings when they don't really have it but your boy does sound like he has the symptoms.

My second vet, who is handling Jenny's 2 major illnesses, told me that once we get both issues under control she could have some good years left. It was a very emotional summer for me though and I totally understand and sympathize with how overwhelmed you are feeling.

I have found so much support and knowledge on these 2 forums.

It took a long time to get Jenny's blood sugar down to where we wanted it but she is finally there. We are in the maintenance phase on her Cushings but it is a hit or miss thing as she is in the 15% group with an adrenal tumor and we are not going to have it surgically removed.

There are lots of good tips and helpful people on the diabetes forum so please come over. Did they check for ketones in the urine? That can be very dangerous.

hang in there, it is manageable. hugs, Judi & Jenny

I'm in Ottawa LOL!

You may want to stop the pumpkin and carrots. Both are high in natural sugars. Anything green is best except green peppers and peas (again both are high in sugar). Green beans have tons of glucose reducing properties. He needs lots of fibre too. Broccoli is good and celery is a great "free" treat (i.e. it won't affect anything). Low fat, high fibre is the way to go so you are good there.

I too was going to ask about his ketones? Are you checking his blood sugar at home? You may also want to get a pack of ketone strips to test his urine at home too. The sooner you catch problems when they happen, the better your chances of avoiding disaster.
    Zoey (JRT) age 1yr:

How funny, my parents are in Stittsville. Thanks for the advice on the carrots & pumpkin. Will stop. I had the urine and blood test results faxed over today. Have to say I have no idea what all this means but here we go: Urine Cortisol 12.9, Creatinine 17.2, Cortisol/Creatinine 234. MA 10.9, Protein 6.2, Cholesterol 342, CPK 1401, specific gravity 1.035, glucose 3+. No traces of bacteria.
    Blood. ACTH
    Sample 1 – 7.6
    Sample 2 – 23.5

I have more info. but it will take a lot of space. Started the trilo. today. He is very sleepy, still is eating well but takes forever to empty his bladder. This morning, he had an accident, that is the first time since last week. Ozzy is looking very thin but doesn’t look like he unhappy. Thanks again everyone, it is all very confusing.

Ok this is too weird. I live in Stittsville. Just move out here last year.
    Zoey (JRT) age 1yr:

Question Ozzy 4th day on Trilo

Poor fella isn't feeling well at all. Thankfully, he is eating well and drinking but still taking a very long time to empty his bladder. He is also showing signs of weakness in his hind legs. Has anyone else experienced this?

(MODERATOR NOTE - I have merged your latest post about Ozzie with his original thread. We like to keep all the info about each pup in their own thread. This way it is easy to look back through the history if needed. I also changed your title a bit to reflect his treatment.)
    Last edited by Squirt's Mom; 11-07-2011 at 12:37 PM.