Thread: My best friend (8 y/o Lab) Diabetic, Cushing's - Trilostane

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My best friend (8 y/o Lab) Diabetic, Cushing's - Trilostane

My beautiful 8yrs. Old Lab has been diagnosed diabetic and Cushing’s. I am devastated. I feel so helpless and angry that his regular vet didn’t pick up on the fact that he was showing signs of Cushing’s. I never even heard of the disease until last summer because Ozzy tore his Achilles tendon and the orthopedic vet found that Ozzy had a pot belly and his fur wasn’t growing back from the operation. Last week Ozzy’s glucose levels were off the charts. He couldn’t hold his urine for more than 15mins. He would urinate while he slept. We thought he had a bladder infection so we brought a urine sample to the orthopedic vet. He was shocked at Oz’s glucose levels and told us to get him to an internist. We got him in two days later. This vet did a full test on a new urine sample – no infection but very high glucose. I told her what the pervious vet suspected. She was more inclined that Ozzy was diabetic but could see that Ozzy has a pot belly and poor hair growth. Next day we brought him back for the ACTH test. She also prescribed insulin 10mg twice a day. We went through the weekend injecting him. He did show improvement. On the Mon. Oct. 31th, I tracked her down and was told yes, the ACTH confirmed Cushing’s. She ordered trisolane – 45mg twice a day. I should receive by the end of the week because it is coming from across country. I am so worried to say the least. I read so many sad stories and one vet even told me perhaps we should consider putting Ozzy down!!!! I want the best for my wonderful friend. I have concerns with the dosing schedule because two night of the week, my husband and I are not at home for the 7:00 p.m. shot. Can anyone tell me how they have handled a diabetic/Cushing’s dog? I just love him so much and want the best for him. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ozzysmom; 11-05-2011 at 11:07 AM.