Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Have just registered

Smile Hi Have just registered

Hi I have just registered on this forum as only found it the other day when someone mentioned it in another forum. I have a miniature poodle that was diagnosed with Cushings last July 2010, he had all the usual signs but we only noticed the drinking. Since then he has been on 60mg veteroyl and has been ok but last week or so drinking has increased again and hunting for food, so had acth test done this week and been told levels ok but need to test urine for glucose, I have read that they can get diabetes mellitus with cushings as anyone had any experience of this as bit worried about having to inject if needed.

Default Re: Hi Have just registered

Hi and welcome to you and your baby,

It sounds as if your baby needs to have an ACTH to make sure his cortisol is still under control on the dose of Trilo now being used. It is common for Trilo to be tweaked throughout treatment so don't panic - this is pretty standard for Trilo pups.

The reappearance of drinking and hunger sure sounds like his cortisol is on the rise again but an ACTH will tell the tale. If you could, please post his prior ACTH results so we can have a base to compare to. Has your baby had an abdominal ultrasound?

With diabetes, what we typically see is a loss of appetite while a cush pup experiences a rise in appetite. I would most certainly have his sugar checked as well, but the ACTH is important based on the signs you have mentioned.

I'm glad you found us and look forward to hearing more soon. Others will be along to share their experience with you, especially our Trilo moms and dads.

Keep your chin up! You and your baby have found a family here who will stand by you all the way.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi,

Just wanted to pop by and say welcome, glad you found us. Could you possibly post the ACTH tests results?

Also, I am wondering, did I miss it, but what does your pup weigh? Did you start at 60mgs of Vetroyl?

We ask a lot of questions, don't get worried by that. It helps if you can post the results of any tests and give us more info.

Hang in there, others will be along soon.

Hugs,
    Addy

I am an "other" who is popping in to say "welcome!" You have found the best possible place for your baby. There are treasure troves of information, support and caring here.
    -Susan

yet another one popping in to say hello and welcome. you will be so grateful to have found this forum, the knowledge and experiences here are amazing. I have learned so very very much........and now embarking on a huge journey with my darling.....so grateful for the all the ones here. You will have loads and loads of information right here from these good people. And the support is amazing.
    Stormee (Skye)

Welcome! This is a great site! I don't know what I would do without it! Cushings is so hard to diagnosis and figure out! But, here you will get the help you need!

hi: my dog Jenny has both Cushings and Diabetes. I'm not sure how long she had her Cushings before it was diagnosed.

Honestly, if your dog in fact does have diabetes the injections are not that bad to give. And my husband and I were nervous wrecks about it.

Getting the blood sugar to an adequate level can take some time, and being able to test the blood glucose at home can save some money and stress for the dog. The testing has been my challenge, the injections, not a problem.

Hang in there and let us know what you find out. Until their cortisol levels get straightened out, Cushings dogs may require more insulin than non-cushings dogs. My Jenny weighs 8 pounds and it took 7 units twice a day to regulate her blood sugar. We started at 1 unit, increasing each week or 2 weeks so it took awhile.

Judi

Thank you all for your replies. I am in UK and they have never given me his levels for cushings, but the acth they done last week levels for fine so just got to take urine sample tomorrow. His drinking has calmed slightly and eating not to bad, this is 2nd time I have had him tested this year but levels have been fine both times. I will let you know outcome of urine test.

Looking forward to hearing how the urine test goes. Are they doing a cysto? or are you collecting home sample and taking in? when was the last CBC done? as increased thirst is involved in so many sypmtons. Keep us posted. Keep your chin up and know your doing all you can to get the answers to help care for your precious one!
    Stormee (Skye)

Bazil developed diabetes as a result of the Cushings. So it does happen. In her case though it was due to delayed Cushings treatment. But as others have said you would usually see a decline in appetite and weight along with the increased drinking. We had a terrible time getting her diabetes regulated. Oddly the Cushings regulated immediately on the initial 20mg dose of Trilostene. Her diabetes did finally regulate in her final months. She was on 9 units for a long time and then suddenly her body righted itself and she was reduced to 6 units am, 4 units pm. She weighed only 6.8kg (she was down to 6.3 when she passed away).

Farfalle is not diabetic (and I check his blood sugar regularly as I'm paranoid about that.). However he has had to have his Trilostene increased. I've been told this is totally normal. Their bodies get used to it in their system and sometimes the Cushings outsmarts the meds requiring an adjustment.
    Zoey (JRT) age 1yr:
    healthy as a horse er JRT

Farfalle (JRT) RIP Aug 2012, age 13yrs:
    diagnosis Oct 2010, Trilostene 30mg/daily; arthritis, severe allergies

Bazil (JRT) RIP May 2011, age 14yrs:
    diagnosis Oct 2008, Trilostene 20mg/daily, Diabetic, Glaucoma, blind