Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Farfelle - Cushings and Surgery...sweet Farfalle has crossed The Bridge

Default Re: Farfelle - Cushings and Surgery

Hi from me! I'd not yet had a chance to post to you, but I was following your updates yesterday and am very anxious to hear how Farfalle is doing this morning. It sounds like it turned out to be quite the ordeal for your little guy, and I am surely hoping that he is safely home. Do let us know as soon as you have the chance.

Marianne

How is Farfelle this morning? Hope he is soon home, if not already!
    Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Default Re: Farfalle - Cushings and Surgery

He is finally home! phew!

He ended up losing 8 teeth. There were two more that could have come out (they are borderline now but will likely need to come out in the future) but he had been under for so long she was concerned with his heart as he had a few blips during surgery so she left them alone.

He had very high blood pressure overnight and was on a bp monitor all night to watch him. We have to go back in two weeks to check it again as she is concerned this may be a permanent thing as his kidney enzymes are off too. If it is, then more meds for him, if not, then yay.

His poor face is so swollen. Even his eyes are swollen. He's still pretty groggy from the anesthesia so he's sleeping a lot. Moaning all the time so he's pretty sore. From the looks of his poor mouth, he will be sore for a while yet. We have to watch him still for his breathing and can't leave him home alone for a week just in case but we both work from home so that isn't a problem.

I'm just glad my little man is home!
    Last edited by Polkaroo; 11-05-2011 at 09:11 AM.
    Zoey (JRT) age 1yr:
    healthy as a horse er JRT

Farfalle (JRT) RIP Aug 2012, age 13yrs:
    diagnosis Oct 2010, Trilostene 30mg/daily; arthritis, severe allergies

Bazil (JRT) RIP May 2011, age 14yrs:
    diagnosis Oct 2008, Trilostene 20mg/daily, Diabetic, Glaucoma, blind

So glad Farfella is home!! That was alot of teeth to lose at once - but they are troopers and will bounce back soon -- baby food is what Penny ate the first few days after her dental surgery - she loved it!! hope the recovery goes well - will check in again - Hugssssss
    xoxo Cindy & Penny

Hi Polka,

Wonderful that Farfelle is back home under your loving care! That's the best medicine of all!

I can just imagine his face....poor fellow. He's probably gonna sore for a few days. If the vet didn't give you any ideas for feeding, there are many things you can do. The baby food is a good idea, just be sure there are no onions in the ingredients. You can soak his usual kibble if he has been on dry food, or get a high quality canned and make sure there are no chunks to chew. You can boil some chicken and rice, run it through a blender with some of the broth so it is "pre-chewed". I would think that he will be much better soon and able to eat better when the pain subsides. Our babies heal so much faster than we do, thank goodness!

Keep in touch and let us know how things are going!
    Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Actually feeding hasn't been a problem. He's on a home cooked diet due to severe food allergies. So I just had to take his normal food, shred the meat, cut it super small, mash the veg, and make it into more of a thick soup/stew.

Getting him to take the liquid Pepto is more of a problem. Usually he gets the chewable tabs but obviously can't have those right now. The vet gave me a bottle of the meat flavored one they use but he won't take it. It can't be mixed with food either. And with all of the anti inflmmatories and antibiotics he's on, his poor little bum is a mess.
    Zoey (JRT) age 1yr:

My brother used the chewable and when his dogs teeth were pulled he cushed the pill to powder and put it in the baby food - you can try that and put it in your home made food -- what is you mixture of homemade food - i have to pass that on to my bro who has a golden with severe allergies --
    xoxo Cindy & Penny

He gets a mixture of either beef roast or boneless lamb roast, couscous (brown rice or a whole grain pasta is good too),green beans or broccoli, baby carrots, flax, oats and a little low fat shredded chesse on top. There is also a scoop of Hiliary's Blend vitamin powder and a squirt of Omega 3 oil on top as the IMS recommends double omega 3 dose for the itchy fellas. To make it stewy, I make a light gravy from the roast drippings.

The recipe (minus the carrots) I originally created for Bazil who was diabetic and we found by altering the protein source from poultry to either beef or lamb that it worked well for Farfalle's allergies too. Both our vet and IMS have said our dogs eat better than they do LOL. Any protein source is fine so you can substitute the roast with anything. Ground meat would be cheaper. Farfalle just doesn't like it.

Farfalle has been on home cooked since he was a puppy but it has evolved over the years as his allergies have increased. Roasted chicken is his favourite but since he delevoped an anaphyllactic poultry allergy he can't have it anymore. That's the only thing he gives us grief about.

My mom has allergic golden's who are also allergic to poultry (but it's not an analphyllactic allergy). They have done really well on Orijen 6 Fish kibble. Orijen is a low grain high protein kibble made with human grade ingredients. Acana fish is good too but her furry ones prefer the Orijen.
    Last edited by Polkaroo; 11-06-2011 at 05:52 AM.
    Zoey (JRT) age 1yr:

Oh and any multi vitamin will do. We just use the Hilary's Blend as we couldn't find a chewable that was poultry free.
    Zoey (JRT) age 1yr:

Thanks for the info i will pass it on to my brother - sounds good!!!!!
    xoxo Cindy & Penny