Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Farfelle - Cushings and Surgery...sweet Farfalle has crossed The Bridge

Unhappy Farfelle - Cushings and Surgery...sweet Farfalle has crossed The Bridge

Wasn't sure where to put this as it's not a Cushings issue per say but could be I suppose.

Farfalle is going in for a dental with extractions tomorrow. While he is under, they are also doing X-rays of his hips, shoulders, knees and elbows and a possible cyst removal from his rump (not sure if it's big enough yet). He will also be having the full Senior blood panel prior to surgery.

I'm a bit freaked out over the blood clot risk during surgery for Cushings pups. Also, he has severe allergies so I am worried about the anesthesia. He had a dental about 5 years ago and was fine but that was pre-Cushings and his allergies have become much more severe since then.

I am terrified he is going to die during the procedures. We just lost our Bazil in May after a long hard battle with Cushings and Diabetes (in the end to was a brain bleed that killed her). I'm still heartbroken and grieving over her death and I just can't bear the thought of possibly losing Farfalle too.

How big is the blood clot risk? Am I freaking out for nothing? He is going to be ok right?
    Last edited by Polkaroo; 08-23-2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: edited title for spelling and topic
    Zoey (JRT) age 1yr:
    healthy as a horse er JRT

Farfalle (JRT) RIP Aug 2012, age 13yrs:
    diagnosis Oct 2010, Trilostene 30mg/daily; arthritis, severe allergies

Bazil (JRT) RIP May 2011, age 14yrs:
    diagnosis Oct 2008, Trilostene 20mg/daily, Diabetic, Glaucoma, blind

Default Re: Cushings and Surgery

Hi Polka,

Oh boy, can I relate to your fears! Squirt has had to go under twice since her diagnosis and both times I was terrified of all kinds of things going wrong. But she came through with flying colors, as have many others here.

There are several types of anesthesia available so talk with your vet and express these concerns. I am sure they will be able to help allay your fears a bit. And we are always here for you.

I am going to try to move this thread to the Discussion board so we can keep up with Farfelle's story. Any time you wish to post, you will do so here - once it is moved. Anything related to our cush babies is always relevant and we always want to know what is going on...as well as keeping in touch with our family. So, let's see what happens when a tech-no idiot goes to work!

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Default Re: Farfelle - Cushings and Surgery

Ok...nothing blew up, nothing disappeared!

So, here is Farfelle's own thread where we can talk with you about him anytime and you can always talk to us about anything.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Default Re: Farfalle - Cushings and Surgery

Thanks!

Well I dropped him off this morning at 8am. Was all I could do to keep from crying. We also had to bring Zoey (11 weeks old) for her shots so that thankfully distracted me for a bit. Now that I am at home waiting though, the panic has set in. Surgery is to take place between 1-4pm.

The vet said she isn't overly concerned about the Cushings. It is an issue but she's more concerned about the allergies. He is allergic to so many things and new things daily so we never know when he will have a reaction. He also has a few lumps she is going to look at while he is under. They aren't concerning but he will never let us look closely at him when he is awake so while he is under, she is going to do everything she thinks he might need as she knows I am not putting him under again unless it's an emergency. I'm only even doing the dental because one tooth is really bad and he is on immuno-suppressants so we don't want to risk a blood infection.

I would never even have worried about this except he was supposed to have had this done in April. At the time Bazil (RIP) was taken into emergency for ketoacidosis the same weekend as Farfalle's procedure and the vet cancelled it because she wasn't going to take a chance on me possibly losing both dogs at the same time. Bazil survived that crisis but sadly died 2 weeks later. I've been putting off rescheduling Farfalle's procedure ever since. I still cry at the drop of a hat over Bazil and the thought of possibly losing Farfalle makes me physically ill. I finally caved, as he is limping more and more so we really need the X-rays done to get him on proper NSAIDs or Gabbapentin if his liver values aren't good enough. Tramadol just isn't cutting if for him anymore.

Anyway, sorry for babbling. My husband is tired of listening to me worry and I have no one else who "gets it". Hopefully I will have good news later this afternoon.

Thanks for listening!
    Zoey (JRT) age 1yr:

Blab away, darlin'! We have all been there and we DO understand!

I am a true spaz when it comes to my babies. The least little thing sends me over the edge. Our vets quickly get used to seeing me run into the clinic in tears, panicked, with a furbutt in my arms. A few months ago, I "diagnosed" Squirt with cancer because I felt some "lumps" in her belly - they were her mammary glands.

Hang in there and know we are here any time.
    Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang

HAHAH! I do the same except I am usually right with my diagnosis. I was the one who diagnosed Farfalle with Cushings initially. He was never a big eater or drinker (in fact he was always dehydrated) so when he started showing symptoms, he was eating and drinking a normal amount for a normal dog. But it wasn't normal for him. My vet said if it was anyone else, she wouldn't have done the bloodwork and ultrasound because on exam he was super healthy. But because it was me and she knew if I say something is wrong with him, this is something wrong with him. I swear, I'm the clinic's best customer. LOL

She just called and the initial tests are good so he is going under now. She even did a chest X-ray to be safe as he has a heart murmur (had it since birth) and he is wheezy so she wanted to be sure the wheeziness was just the allergies and nothing else. His alkaphos is elevated and his liver is enlarged (normal for Cushings) but his liver enzymes are all normal and the rest of the bloodwork looks good.

Fingers crossed the rest of his visit goes as well.
    Zoey (JRT) age 1yr:

I'm sitting right beside you, holding your hand, until he is awake and recovering.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang

Hi just wanted you to know my Penny who is 11 and has Cushings and was on Vetoryl had her k9 tooth extracted along with 3 other teeth a few months ago and did fantastic!!!! She went to Tufts in Boston MA - her recovery was great also -- I was a crazy person -- I paced and paced and cried and cried and she was just fine when we went back to get her - dropped her off in the AM and picked her up in the PM -- so I understand how you feel - all will go fine - I know its the waiting!!!!! Right her to wait with you and Leslie!!!!! Will check back soon!!!! Hugssssssssss
    xoxo Cindy & Penny

He's still under. 3 hrs and counting. 7 teeth pulled so far and more to come. Apparently even though the teeth looked ok the roots were rotted. Some are impacted and some are broken. He's had some excessive bleeding but they have been able to get it under control. They are keeping him overnight and are monitoring his blood counts during surgery. So now I'm freaking. Vet said she'd call again when he was done (she just called to check in while waiting on a blood count update).

Sigh. They sure like to worry us don't they, the little furry buggars!
    Zoey (JRT) age 1yr:

As the daughter of a dentist, I can tell you this is a wise move on part of your vet. Bleeding and infection in the mouth can get out of hand quickly so I am glad they are keeping him for the nite. They will be able to monitor his progress and act if needed, tho I doubt that will be required. This is a cautionary act I'm sure, not an indication something bad has gone wrong. It's hard enough getting humans to understand they have to take care of themselves after surgery like this. A dog? HA! He will be able to remain quiet and unstimulated, allowing him to recoup that much faster.

Now for my personal prescription for stress since you have the night "off". A hot bubble bath, a good book and a chilled glass of wine. Take the chance to rest and relax a bit yourself.

Remember, we are only a key-stroke away.
    Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang