Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leaving Cushings Untreated?

Default Re: Leaving Cushings Untreated?

I think in a week or so we've come full circle. If Tipper was even 2-3 years younger the decision would be much easier to treat.

We just think right now he is happy I'm quite sure. He can go up stairs still with effort (not gotten worse for several months now) and shows good (although short lived) excitement and enthusiasm when we arrive from being gone. He follows us everywhere in the house and I wouldn't say anything visual makes us think he is uncomfortable (except when it is warm in the house during summer, he has hard time resting). While showing all the obvious signs of Cushings, if he can stay at this current level for the near term I think we will be ok knowing that at some point in the not too distant future something is going to get him, Cushings related or not.

Having come here and read alot of the information provided I feel much more educated on what the condition consists of as well as the advantages and drawbacks to treatment along with the risks and dangers of not treating.

Right now, the only thing we are considering is either some milk thistle or the SAM-e product or the specific Denamarin to support and promote a healthier liver since the Cushings is causing high enzyme levels.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to post in the thread and giving me somewhere to ask questions and seek advice. Decisions like this aren't easy, it really is nice to have a web forum like this. It's a resource I will continue to learn from I'm sure.
    Last edited by Tipper; 10-28-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks so much for your update. I do think your decision is a reasonable one. I agree with Glynda's earlier comment that, at Tipper's age, I would be less concerned about slow chronic systemic damage and more concerned about immediate quality of life. It is obvious that you care deeply about Tipper and are watching him closely. So you will know if anything changes dramatically for him. In the meantime, I wish you all the best and hope you will continue to stop by with continued updates.

Marianne

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Please do continue to let us know how things are going.

Terry

We delayed treating our female, Bazil (JRT) until May 2010 (diagnosis was ~2008). As a result, she ended up diabetic, blind (glaucoma) and died of an aneurism May 2011.

After seeing what this disease did to her (or rather the consequences of not treating her sooner), as soon as our male, Farfalle (JRT) starting showing signs that he too may have Cushings, I had him tested (confirmed) in Oct 2010 and began treatment(Trilostene) immediately. He is responding well to treatment (last ATCH was 72 pre, 260 post--his best numbers since diagnosis!). I just have to get the weight off him now; he has gained 3kg since he started showing symptoms. It is hard thought as he has severe arthritis so he can't walk as much as he used to. I can't cut his diet down any more as he barely eats a cup of food daily as it is (severe food allergies and picky eater). But for us treating him was a no brainer. I can't go through what I did with Bazil again and I don't wish that on any owner or dog.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Just wanted to give an update.

It has been over a year that we have known our dog has had Cushings which we have left untreated.

As he approaches his 14th birthday we have not noticed any troubling advancement of the disease and Tipper seems to be very much like he has been the past several months. While exhibiting all the classic symptoms, he can still go up stairs (slow and sometimes reluctantly, sometimes quicker and enthusiasticly depending on the time of day),can still jump on low furniture (like footrests) and doesn't have an unending unbearable thirst. I think actually his water consumption may have decreased just from casual observation. More water at night, not a ton during the day.

The only change to me appears that he is not able to hold his urine quite as long. Before we figured he is good 5-6 hours, now at times it is more like 4-5 hours. He has lost a few pounds, but still has strong appetite, healthy looking BMs and no vomiting ever or anything that would be obvious cause for concern.

A recent trip to the vet with blood and urine testing revealed some slightly higher liver enzyme levels from October last year, but not alarming given his condition. He has been on Denamarin to help protect the liver so that may have kept some of the test results down a bit. He has no skin or urine infections yet. The only other product we give him is the Cushings Crusher powder which the vet didn't outright recommend, but in an unscientific opinion he thinks it might be a contributing factor from keeping the Cushings from advancing further.

I valued the information and advise I received on the site and figured I should provide an update on my situation that many of you offered your insight on. 5 months from my last post not much has changed for which we are thankful.

Here is a recent picture:

I know your last post was over a year ago, but I'm curious as to how this last year has gone for your fur baby?

Just got confirmation that my 7 yr old beagle has Cushings. Found it with a fluke pre op visit for something else. Now that i know what to look for, the symptoms seem mild. Vet is giving me the option to delay treatment with trilostane, or to start it now. Help please... what would you do with a young dog with mild symptoms that you happened to catch on a fluke?

Last edited by labblab; 02-28-2014 at 06:52 AM. Reason: To add note.