Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Beloved Barkley (1991 - 9/25/06)

Default My Beloved Barkley (1991 - 9/25/06)

For those of you who remember from cc.net, I posted my 1st Cushpup's story, Barkley. For our new members, I am posting to give you a beacon of hope for this dratted disease.

I adopted Barkley from a local breed rescue when he was 2 years old. He came to me to help heal the hole in my heart from the loss of a miniature poodle who had been a beloved friend of my college & early adult years. Barkley was a Lhasa/Shih Tzu mix. He came to live with my Mom & me, & I think he decided that since these ladies were so nice to give me a kind, loving home, it will be my duty to protect them, & protect our house. Barkley could be quite comical trying to be the big protector. Here is the little 25 lb. pup who is trying to act like the mean, ferocious 100 lb. guard dog. Anyone that would come in the house, he would go nuts, & just bark constantly to let us know that someone was in the house who he really thought didn't need to be there. Mom & I would try our best to get him to knock it off, with absolutely no success. Friends & family basically got used to it. My Mom's youngest sister came to visit us quite frequently, & of course, B would start in on his "rant". My aunt was a retired school teacher. All she did was whip out her misbehaving kid's voice on Barkley, & he absolutely shut up in world record time. My Mom & I just looked at each other, kind of stunned, then broke out in gales of laughter. Any time my aunt would come, she would correct Barkley with the "voice" once, & that would be it for the rest of her visit. Barkley & Harley, both, were a lifeline for me during my Mother's struggle with Alzheimer's. I can't tell you how many times I would come home from the hospital when she was very ill with pneumonia. I would hold on to B, crying my eyes out, asking him what were we going to do if we lose her.

Barkley endured more medical problems than most humans do, & was one of the bravest of God's creatures when it came to facing these problems. Prior to his Cushing's diagnosis, he suffered from extremely severe allergies which manifested as chronic ear infections. He was on a number of medications to control his allergies, thanks to his derm vet, which finally got everything settled down. When B was about 7 years old, he blew a cruciate ligament which had to be repaired twice. The abnormal pre-op lab work, including a sky-high alkaline phosphatase, is what set us on the path to a Cushing's diagnosis. Barkley was very successfully treated with lysodren for almost 8 years with really no major issues from his Cushing's. Unfortunately, at the age of 13, he became very ill, with my GP vet & the derm vet unable to determine the problem. A trip to an IMS is what led to a diagnosis of lymphoma. At 13, with his many problems, I can't lie, I, initially, felt that I would not treat the lymphoma. I did seek a consult with an oncologist, & after hearing that without treatment, B would be gone in 4-6 weeks, I did opt for chemotherapy. I made the decision because I had lost my dearest Mom to the ravages of Alzheimer's, about a year prior to B becoming ill. I was ABSOLUTELY NOT ready to loose him. The chemo that B received give an average remission of 6-8 months. My boy blew those statistics to the moon & back, surviving 20 months with a good quality of life. His oncologist absolutely love him, along with all of the onco techs, said he was one of their star patients. He never gave them any grief, even when he had to lie still for over 2 hours to receive his chemo infusion.

On the day Barkley crossed the bridge, I will have to say that he had been struggling for the past several weeks, & I knew the time was coming. I got home from work that afternoon, came in from the garage. B was always sleeping in underneath the dining room table where he could watch the garage door for me to come in the house. I came in, he struggled out to greet me. I took one look at him, & started crying. I know to this day that he was telling me, "Mom, I am so very tired of feeling bad, all the trips to doctors, & all of the medicine I have to take. Please do the last kind thing that you can for me. With tears streaming down my face, I told him, "OK". We already had appointments with both the derm & onco vets that afternoon, so I loaded him in the car, & away we went.

We went to an exam room in the clinic. Dr. Lewis, his derm vet, came in, took one look at B, & said he was going to get the oncologist. They moved us into an exam room in a section of the clinic that was closed that day, so we could spend some quiet time together. A couple of the onco techs came in, & gave me a ceramic paw print of B that they had made as a keepsake for me. I held him in my lap, told him how grateful I was that he was my friend, & that I would see him, again. Here is the remarkable thing about B's passing, his oncologist, derm vet, his IMS, & several of the onco techs came into the exam room when I was ready to offer their support. His oncologist asked me if I wanted to be there, I told her, "Not really, but I promised Barkley that I would be with him to the end of his journey." The injections were given, & my Barkley was gone. All of us had tears streaming down our faces. I really never knew how truly kind people could be until that afternoon, which was the worst afternoon of my life.

Yes, Barkley was named after Charles Barkley, the NBA basketball star, who played for the Phoenix Suns, among several other teams.

Dearest Barkley, you will always be in my heart.

Debbie
    Last edited by StarDeb55; 05-20-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    Mom to 2 Cushing's angels

Default Re: My Beloved Barkley

Thank you for posting B's story here. If it wasn't for you and B's story, I likely would have lost Niko to Lymphoma months ago - but instead - I have a mature cush pup with his lymphoma in remission for 6+ months now.

Debbie, thank you so much for once again sharing your touching tribute to Barkley. What a brave boy, and what a brave mom! You were, and will always remain, true companions of the heart.

I feel certain that he would be so proud of all that you do here and all that you offer here in support of all the other pups and parents in need. So in addition to your written words, your caring contribution here is also your special tribute to Barkley, and all that he has meant to you.

Many (((hugs))) to you today and always, in loving memory of your sweet boy ~
    Marianne (forever Barkis' and Peg's and Luna's mom)

Oh my, that brought tears to my eyes. You have years of memories that will, hopefully, help you through this difficult time. Barkley was so fortunate to have you, and I know you were to have him. You were such a good mom!

I'm sorry for your loss.

Blessings,

MJ

Thanks, MJ! I have just good memories, now. It will be 3 years this September, since Barkley crossed the bridge.

Debbie

Ah, I didn't see the date, so I didn't know how long Barkley had been gone. It's nice to have fond memories of our pups, isn't it!

MJ
    Last edited by Rusty's Mom; 05-27-2009 at 07:37 PM.

Debbie- I just read Barkley's story after seeing his picture. Before Palmer we had a PomePoo, Peaches. We had to make the decision to put her down. She was 17+ years old and had lost much of her sight and had started having seizures. I too held her in my arms. It was so very hard to choose to end her life, but she was no longer enjoying life. My husband and I stayed with her until the vet (then) finally got the medicine injected into a vein. It remains as one of the hardest things I have ever had to go through. I wish their lives could last longer.

Barkley looks so cute in his pictures. I admire what you did and how you handled it.

Thanks for sharing.

-Susan
    Last edited by Bailey's Mom; 06-18-2009 at 12:18 AM.

Default Re: My Beloved Barkley (1991 - 9/25/06)

Thank you for you kind words, Susan! Even though it's been nearly 3 years, I still miss him each & very day.

Debbie

Oh that is so sad and not sad at the same time, the older I get the more these stories effect me...
    " There's Nothing Like A huskyslove"

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

As you are coming up to the date Barkley passed on, I wanted to send you this special message to you today along with my ((((hugs))))

Do not grieve that I have gone
    Beyond the reaches of your smiles.
    Take comfort in the life we have shared,
    We're only parted for a while.

Don't let sorrow steal your joy,
    Live every day that we're apart.
    Remember that I'm never gone,
    I'll always be there in your heart.

Terry