Page 52 of 201 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey and Friends

Default Re: Bailey and Friends

Awwww Addy-I wish I could come over and sit with you. We'd laugh and have fun.....maybe we could teach Bailey to swim.
    Bob is back-it was just an overnight trip. So I guess I'll give the island another stab and see if I collapse. If I don't I guess you've given me an answer.
    I slept until 11 today. Maybe I'm not over the Ehrlichiosis. Bailey slept in with me. She really seems to be getting the idea about doggie training now. I think so long as I keep it up, we'll be home free (maybe). My one worry is the needing to go out deal. We had our first poop ever in the house this week. Either of us might be upstairs or downstairs and even if we're both upstairs, Bailey will go downstairs and come back. I have the jingle bells by the door here (upstairs) and I have them by the back door. The other day I walked into the living room and she was just sitting by the back door. I asked if she needed to go out and indeed she did. She doesn't really know about scratching on doors. Palmer went in and out the front door and would scratch that door if he needed to go out. I could hear his scratch all the way up here. I don't want to feel I need to take Bailey out every couple of hours for the rest of her (or my!) life. Sometimes she'll jingle the bells....but it isn't really loud enough to grab your attention.
    I was going to try to get some yard chores done today but I'm told it's much too hot and too humid. We're supposed to get a break in the weather in the middle of next week. Maybe I'll hold on for that. We have had 3" of rain in the last week. That is GREAT!! My poor plants need me to feed them. Some years I just never seem to get a handle on what I want/need to do. Still the plants survive. Every time I plant something I talk to it and tell it....you will grow despite what I do....I say that gently. It sure seems to work that way. Even if it's a rush planting job, plants seem to do well for me. There are just a couple of things I've learned to give up on.
    Well-time to get going on my day. Here's hoping this is the final effort to get that island cleared off and ready for glass work.
    Good luck with the carpet cleaning. I know you'll be pleased with the results. We finally bought our own cleaner (a Hoover) because one cleaning costs more than the machine. I'm glad we did. It has worked out very well. I still don't like the cleanup though. I need to try to clean a couple of recliners with it. It'll be interesting to see how that goes......whenever I get to it.
    Take care. Enjoy your last 3.5 days of freedom! Take a dip in the pool for me. I'm very envious.
    Love,
    Susan

Susan I am glad you are continuing to get more sleep. Get Better!!!

I think we will start training next Saturday in a group class. Sometimes I think Ella has got the COME down and then...not. I gave her a bath by myself this morning she did pretty good, but I had her on a leash and in her pink pool. The blowing off was another story--she attached the hair blower, barking and biting. Finally I got to blow her from way up high then got closer--even let me blow on her belly--then back to barking and biting.

I am taking her to the vet because of her rash and now goop in her eyes. I don't remember having this with Maddie....oh well different dog.

I like the idea of making an appt with yourself--I should try this also. My neighbor does stain glass also, but it has been many years because she went to work.

Have a great wonderful weekend!!!
    Marie, My Angel Girl Maddie, and Now Miss Ella

Hi Marie-
    Hi Addy-
    We took Bailey to get a new harness today, as she has outgrown the first one. Before we got home, she barfed. On the way to puppy class last week, she barfed 3 times. I sure hope she outgrows this because I used to love getting Palmer and running to the bank or to get something cool to drink. He loved it too. Oddly enough, Bailey has yet to associate the car with the barfing.
    Marie I am having huge problems with "come". Bailey thinks that's a game....and she's too quick to catch. I remember reading that 5 months is the age most pups are when they are turned into shelters. Does this mean something will get better soon? She has started stretching out on my lap as opposed to parking herself on my chest. Sometimes she sits on the back of where I'm sitting....the recliner or the sofa.
    She has not gone peacefully into her condo at night. She goes in okay but then this pitiful cry starts....and accelerates to barking. I told her quietly "no" last night. After another five minutes I said "BAILEY.....NO!!!!" And she never made another peep.
    She's hard to train if you can't catch her. Bob has been doing most of the walks.....and Bob needs training(!) I guess I will have to take over the walks. She walks pretty well with me. The trainer said to work on commands while you walk. Oh life used to be so simple.
    I'm feeling regretful today. It happened once before. I'm sure it will pass.
    We are taking a one week car trip up to Canada and back in a month. I can't get Bob to nail down the specifics. I don't want to go. Bailey will need to be boarded. I haven't checked to see if they have availability. Our neighbors who are up in Canada for the summer have been after us to come up for two years.They're older than dirt, he's hard of hearing and he wants to take us all around Sous Ste Marie to show us trains and such. OH YUK!
    I'm really bummed out today. This has got to stop.
    -Susan

Oh Susan,

I am so sorry you are bummed out today!!!

I so know the feeling. Life was so easy with a trained dog. Ella is so loving and sweet, but then when she is biting I just want to scream. The "condo" is a great source of the pitiful cry to the barking like you said. We have tried the yelling and no success like you. I slept downstairs just because I didn't want to go up carrying her just to come back down if she decided to become alert and the biting game start. I don't do well with little sleep or wanting to go to sleep. We have gotten some rawhide bones--I was afraid to get them, but they are the white ones--the hubby did the research so I put it in his hands if it was safe for her to chew on. He said there were divided reviews, but she seems to like to chew on them and not so much us all the time. I do well just picking her up under her front legs with her back to my chest and letting her hang telling her no biting or jumping. She does settle down, but it doesn't always work. She is very strong welled--this can be good and bad. We are hanging in there because we know what the end product will be--a great dog.

Did you every get that stuff to help with the barfing?? I forget now what I told you--something about a video????? I know ginger helps with sea sickness--do you think it might work with dogs???

I usually don't want to go places because I know I need to be home to take care of Ella. We don't go out to dinner that much anyway, but it just seems like a lot of stress knowing she will bark a lot while we are gone. How did we get to be so controlled by a dog????

I think it is because we are older this time around and do not have the patience. I wonder what I would be like with a grandchild--good thing my daughter is telling me there won't be any-- She is still young so I am hoping she will change her mind because I really do want to be Grandma.

I also think we don't get enough sleep, get to finish projects, and walking the strange way we do because of the puppies darting here and there just wears on you. Do you think I have solved our problems????

You know sometimes when you don't want to go somewhere you end up having a great time; so hang in there. Is there a good home like place Bailey could stay? Our neighbors use to take care of Maddie, but now they have 2 dogs and just not sure that is where I want Ella to stay--not that we are planning on going somewhere.

Have a Great Sunday!!! Smile you are on candid camera!!
    Last edited by marie adams; 07-10-2011 at 01:30 AM.

Hi Marie and thanks for your response.
    If Ella has started losing teeth, that may be the cause of some of the biting. The kennel sent Bailey home with two pigs feet. They really stink, but Bailey really likes them. We tossed out the stinkiest one and the remaining one doesn't seem to smell so badly anymore. You might try that. I know that once I thought maybe some of the biting issue was from teething, it got a little easier to deal with. All I can tell you is that we have said "no biting" every time her mouth goes around one of us....hand, finger, arm. Now it seems like just a "no" is working.
    I do think we are starting to turn a corner. She definitely understands "no." We had the same problem going to bed last night with her crying and starting to yip. I gave it 5 minutes and then I sternly said "Bailey.....No!" I did not hear one more peep out of her. I want to try to keep her in her condo at night as long as I can. I want her to know that is her little room.
    Yes-I got Dramamine for children. I asked the vet about what that video suggested and he suggested the Dramamine instead. The problem last Thursday was me. I told Bob not to give her the pill and let's see how she does. At the exact same spot on the trip to class, she did it again. I may have said that Saturday we took her to get a new, larger harness and she threw up on that trip....which is maybe a 2 mile trip at most. I am hoping she will outgrow this but for now, we will pill her any time we need to take her anywhere.
    I wouldn't ask someone to take care of Bailey for that long. When we had Peaches we had a really good friend and she had a dog. We used to use one another for looking after our doggies. I don't have that good of a friend here. It looks like we may be talking 9 days of kennel. I do know one person who would do this....but she charges what the kennel charges. At the kennel, I've known those people for ten years and I know how they love animals. I'm really comfortable with them taking care of my pet.....I just don't like leaving my pet. Plus-and I need to look into this, on the 26th Bailey is scheduled for spaying. I don't know what the recovery period is on this. I hate to go away so soon after an operation like that. I remember when I got "spayed".......it was no picnic!!! Perhaps I'll change the date to after we return.
    I just do NOT want to go on this trip.....period. I am NOT interested in visiting these people in Canada and this will cost a pretty penny to do this. I'd rather take that money and take a cruise!!!
    One day at a time. This is one of those. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and hopefully everything will improve.

Thanks again for writing.
    Love,
    Susan

Happy Monday Susan,

i don't blame you for being bummed, I would be too thinking about putting my pups in a kennel for a week of two. We are trying to find a house sitter to come in to take care of them once we are at the point of Zoe possibly being well enough to go away for 3 days. It is hard to leave them.

When they are being stubborn, sometimes calling come and then running away from them and making smoochy sound, patting you leg will get them started. Another trick that always worked for my two in the beginning when they were being stubborn is to call come and if they don't come, I would crouch down and with my back to them and pretend I was scratching at the floor saying "what's that? hmmmm, what's that? " They always came and then I would praise them. She'll get the hang of it. When I did clicker training, come was easy

Hauled out the carpet cleaner, we had bought a Bissel Pro heat pet 2. Pretreated the high traffic area and soaped it twice and it got much cleaner. I think I was afraid to get the carpet too wet so did not soap it up enough. I now have the hang of it

Off to the mess at work I miss my puppies already.

Love,
    Addy

Good Monday to You!!

Ella hasn't started losing teeth yet that I can tell. She seems more in a biting phase when she gets really over stimulated, but then we have to get a lot of her energy out so she will calm down--sometimes it is a no win situation-haha!!!

You cannot use your illness to get out of the trip????? Just kidding.

I would put off Bailey's spade appt till after you get back--will it really make a difference??? No.... I am not sure what direction we will go with Ella--we might breed her... We always thought about it with Maddie, but never got around to having it done because she would go 14 months between heats and then she got older and didn't think she would want a male around (she would chase them off); didn't know if a breeder would want her kept there during the process--had heard they could be kind a mean with the whole getting together--who knows--I cannot see any of the breeders I was in contact with being mean, so I think I must have read something who was against breeding.

The place you have used for broading sounds like a great place so I would feel comfortable leaving Bailey--heck I would leave Ella but I think it is too far to go for us...

Can you picture Addy scratching at the floor in a crouched down position??? My mind has just wondered off ....

I hope Monday is a better day for you!!

Happy Tuesday GANG!
    Bailey is getting her second grooming today. I'm eager to see how she looks later.
    I have cleared and cleaned off one very long counter that I use with my stained glass cutting. It's all ready to go.
    The island isn't too bad, it's just a matter of finding places for the stuff on there to go. I'm trying to keep the desk work current. So it really does look like I may be able to cut glass very soon.
    I found out the kennel has space available for the days we will go. Dagnabit!!!
    I checked at the vets and they tell me Bailey should be restricted for 3 days and a bit restricted for two weeks. After that everything should be fine. So that would bring us up to trip time and that would put Bailey in the kennel where she will be less rambunctious than if she were at home. I think it may be the best way to do it.
    Let's fry an egg on the sidewalk and then Abby can bend over that and scratch that to get her doggies to come!
    Enjoy the day!
    Susan

Dear cynical ones;

It really works, oh doubting Thomases Just try it once if they are being stubborn and won't come. They get so curious as to what you might have, they come running at full speed.

You guys!!!!!!! yes, I resort to blackmail sometimes, I have no shame.

Sus, the trip may turn out better than you think though a cruise is probably a surer bet. Canada is beautiful. Maybe getting away will spur your creativity. I would love to go away even if it was across town over night, just for a change of scenery.

Hope the grooming goes well. I bet Bailey comes home looking beautiful.

Love ya,
    Addy

P.S. LOL- just went into the kitchen and crouched down, scrathing the floor, saying what's that and both pups came running
    LOL
    Last edited by addy; 07-12-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Addy-
    LOL..........don't mess with success!
    The grooming is done. Her hair is short! She looks like one of those furry black/brown caterpillars. I'll get a picture. We agreed to cut it shorter due to the heat....but I was really surprised when I got home a saw her. Her ears are so short now.
    It will all grow back. She really had gotten rough looking. SOMEthing had to be done.
    Happy Tuesday.
    Congratulations on the carpet cleaning. It is surprising how simple it is once you get the hang of it. I would much rather spend that money on something else. Like a massage!
    Hugs, hugs, hugs,
    Sus