Page 2 of 201 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey and Friends

Default Re: Bailey and Friends

Sorry no help on this one. We don't own a cage and never used one with any of our dogs.

I used a baby playpen for Phoebe (old lady poodle) to protect her from walking into things and stop the others playing rough with her. It was usually overnight but occasionally through the day if I needed to do something where I couldn't watch her.

Jenny

Hi Susan

If I were you, I would indeed get a second crate for upstairs Crates can be such a wonderful safe place for a dog if they get used to it in the correct way I have 2 of everything as well, one in the livingroom and 1 in the bedroom, both places we hang out a lot. So handy and I don't have to drag the things from one room to another all the time

I was thinking, I don't know how you plan to bring Bailey home...if you plan on using a crate during the carride home? But some pups can get very carsick. And if Bailey happens to be one of them, using a crate wouldn't be such a good idea since she might connect the "feeling bad from the carsickness" with being in a crate, that would be a sure way to make her dislike a crate. I think I would use a cartboardbox with some old papers and old towels where you can put her in when she's asleep for example instead of a crate. That way, a crate would be entirely new and not associated with possible bad experiences. And perhaps you have an old stuffed toy that you can put in her "travel bed" (the cartboardbox) because pups like to curl up to one another. The stuffed toy might give her some comfort and something to curl up against But make sure you only use it for sleeping or at times where you can watch her thouroughly, you don't want her to chew it up of course..

If you like to get some tips on how to crate train Bailey, let me know and I will give you some tips

Saskia and Yunah

Susan, I want to "second" everything that Saskia has said above. Even when we only had one dog, we still had a crate both upstairs (in our bedroom) and downstairs (in the family room). We brought each of our three dogs home as puppies, and by introducing them to the crate in a very positive manner, they ended up viewing them as their own little dens or sanctuaries. Now as adults, I seldom ever have the need to actually close either of our girls inside their crate (usually only when I have workers in the house or visitors who may not be comfortable with dogs). But with the doors left standing open, both of the girls frequently go into their crates all on their own just to lay down and nap in a quiet spot away from noise or bustle.

As puppies, the crates were invaluable in order to give us all quiet times during the day even when we were at home, and also to establish a safe haven for the puppy to sleep at night and also when we needed to be away from home. I know Saskia will be able to give you great hints as far as crate training.

And you know, I agree with you that I think it would please Palmer to know that the new baby will be all safe-and-sound in his crate. I think I once wrote about this elsewhere, but we had a big cozy dogbed for our beloved Barkis with his name stitched across the bottom. Oh, how it broke our hearts to see that empty bed after he died. And we thought that maybe we should put it away forever since it was HIS bed with HIS name. But we hadn't ended up moving it before we brought baby Peg home, and as soon as she walked into our bedroom for the first time, she made a beeline for it, sniffed it, and then settled her little tiny self right into the middle of it. It was a very powerful and tender moment for us. Because it felt as though her big brother at The Bridge had welcomed her home and given us permission to welcome her into our hearts.

Oh, only a week to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can hardly wait!

Marianne

Now, now Marianne...it's a week until we leave. It's12 days until we see Bailey in person. I just didn't want you to get disappointed.

Saskia-I would love some crate training advice. All wisdom is gratefully accepted!

Okay-now I'm starting to feel the pressure of time. I had a productive weekend house wise-but not preparation for Bailey-wise. Ooooh.....I haven't watched the video today..........gotta go!!

-Susan

Oh-forgot to say....thanks for the advice on the car trip Saskia. I have extra blankets and I even have a new duck like Palmer had. How cute will that picture be??!! The duck is probably five times the size of Bailey....but it might be comforting to her on the trip.
    Part of our trip back is a stop at Pearl's. http://pearlfryar.com/ I think what he has done is absolutely fantastic and Bailey should be able to get out and walk around as we walk around. That should be a nice break.
    Also-they have a new video on the kennel site and it is one of training for their trainers. Boy am I REAL GLAD I got talked out of that. It made me feel like Bailey would be a project for a newbie and that I'd be PAYING $$$ for that.
    Ok-now I gotta go!
    Susan

4 days, 8 hours, 5 minutes and 52 seconds!!!

Hi Saskia
    I have ordered the second crate.When the crate is on the side of the bed, is the top on it? If not, how am I going to be able to reach down to let her know I"m right here......just poke my fingers through the door squares?

I also have two cardboard boxes. Their dimensions are pretty similar, but one has a height of 5 1/4" and the other has a side height of 9 1/2". Which one would you suggest. Do I modify the box in any way?
    Thanks.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by SasAndYunah View Post
    Hi Susan

If I were you, I would indeed get a second crate for upstairs Crates can be such a wonderful safe place for a dog if they get used to it in the correct way I have 2 of everything as well, one in the livingroom and 1 in the bedroom, both places we hang out a lot. So handy and I don't have to drag the things from one room to another all the time

I was thinking, I don't know how you plan to bring Bailey home...if you plan on using a crate during the carride home? But some pups can get very carsick. And if Bailey happens to be one of them, using a crate wouldn't be such a good idea since she might connect the "feeling bad from the carsickness" with being in a crate, that would be a sure way to make her dislike a crate. I think I would use a cartboardbox with some old papers and old towels where you can put her in when she's asleep for example instead of a crate. That way, a crate would be entirely new and not associated with possible bad experiences. And perhaps you have an old stuffed toy that you can put in her "travel bed" (the cartboardbox) because pups like to curl up to one another. The stuffed toy might give her some comfort and something to curl up against But make sure you only use it for sleeping or at times where you can watch her thouroughly, you don't want her to chew it up of course..

If you like to get some tips on how to crate train Bailey, let me know and I will give you some tips

Saskia and Yunah

Hi Susan,

As promised, some info on crate training.

The purpose of a crate is to provide the dog with a safe and comfortable place. And therefore, there are 3 groundrules, you never break. First, whenever the dog is in it’s crate, you never disturb it, nor do you let visitors disturb the dog. It’s his place, his retreat in which he can find peace and comfort. Secondly, you never use the crate as a “punishment”. Never sent a dog to it’s crate when it’s been “bad”. The crate is a “holy, quiet and safe place” and should remain that way forever. And thirdly, you do not use a crate as a temporary measure to lock up a dog. (that is, when a dog is not used to being in a crate)

So, now that you know the “don’ts” it’s time for the do’s

Before you bring your pup home, already have a crate ready (if you use more then one crate, the exact same applies to the other crate in a different room). Put the crate in a place where you think the pup may like to sleep. Preferably in a quiet corner of the room, where there’s not a lot of “traffic” (people walking past) and which allows the pup to overlook the room from the opening. I personally would cover the crate with either an “official” crate cover or with some towels or a blanket. This helps in 2 ways. First of all, it feels safer to a dog since all sides are “protected” and the dog has only the entrance to guard and secondly, it makes the environment calmer. It’s darker inside the crate and it muffles the sounds a bit. This way it simulates the original den more, a hole in the ground with just one entrance/exit.

Now, when the pup arrives home, don’t encourage the pup to go into the crate. With some luck, the pup will find its own way into the crate and will simply adore the place and will return to it again and again. The more you try to convince the pup to go into the crate, the more “pressure” you put on the crate and the less likely the pup is willing to enter and more so, to stay inside and fall asleep. What you should do however, is put a nice tiny treat inside the crate. The pup will pick up on the smell and will associate the crate with something good. So, whenever the pup isn’t paying attention, put another treat inside the crate. (it should be there by surprise, not because of something you did, at least that is what we want the pup to believe) many people will feed their dog inside the crate, to get them to like the crate. (this is a good method with a dog that has precious bad experiences) With a new puppy, who has no experiences yet, I would not do that. I would feed the pup in another place…and keep the crate solely as a calm and quiet sleeping and resting place where the pup can be sure he won’t be disturbed. By feeding inside the crate, you add excitement and expectations, to the concept of the crate. Where my preference would be that the crate is solely connected with “calm, safe and peaceful”. But again, in different situations, feeding inside the crate can be a good thing.

So, have the crate ready in a good spot, some nice blankets or towels (washable) a cuddly toy to curl up against and that will help the pup fall asleep and a treat…those are the first steps to take. And, in this stage, you DO NOT close the door of the crate. That will come later. And remember, when you have people coming over to look at Bailey, and she happens to be asleep in her crate, they are NOT allowed to come near the crate, to bend over, peek inside and such…she needs to be left alone, that’s her private place.

If you have more questions for now…and later on as Bailey will grow up and you may have “situations”, just ask.

Sas and Yunah

Ahhhhh, I think we have different meanings about the word "crate"...let me check and I will come back to you

Sas and Yunah

Okay, I have figured out the difference I think What "we" call crate, you would call a wired crate. And what you are using is what we call a "travel kennel". So for me, a crate always means a wired crate. Everything else is a "kennel" or "travel kennel".

Here, the plastic ones, the travel kennels, are used only for travelling by plane. In our homes we only use the wired crates, simply called crates. So when I say crate I mean a wired crate and what you call crate is a plastic travel kennel...am I correct?

Sas and Yunah