Page 5 of 201 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey and Friends

Default Re: Bailey and Friends

Hi Jenny-
    I am quite certain I will be having things to say/ask about the crate training. I don't know if you could do this now. I don't see why not? It will probably take extra effort.....but it might be worth it.

Countdown = 1 day, 21 hours, 54 minutes and 27 seconds!!!!

I still have had no sleep. I'm going to try now. I have to do something in 3 hours...but 3hs is better than none hours.

Oh Susan, the excitement is building!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you were able to get at least a little bit of sleep...

I am going to add just a couple more training thoughts, but you can wait to read them until another time. I wanted to go ahead and write them down, but I know you've got a ton of other stuff on your mind right now.

I endorse Saskia's housetraining tips 100%. And if you do decide to also use the crate as a housetraining tool, I believe this is the theory behind it. Since your goal is to teach the puppy that "outdoors" is the only place for toileting, you can use the crate as a tool to eliminate opportunities to mistakenly potty indoors. Benefiting from the puppy's natural instinct to keep its den clean, you can be more confident that the puppy will not relieve itself during the time that it is inside the crate (assuming, of course, that you are never leaving it in the crate for too long a time). So in addition to the other scheduled potty breaks that Saskia has mentioned, you would also give the puppy the opportunity to relieve itself immediately before and after it is ever confined in the crate. But this way, you are minimizing the opportunity for the puppy to mistakenly relieve itself in the house while you are away, or even when you are at home but your attention is diverted elsewhere -- including taking a well-deserved nap yourself after a few hours of puppy-wrangling . Your goal is to increase the opportunities for the puppy to successfully potty outdoors, and decrease the opportunities for "misfires" in the house when your back is turned.

And Jenny, I wouldn't think it's ever too late to introduce a dog to a crate. I would guess that the same positive training tips would work, no matter what the age of the dog -- assuming that the dog has not had a previously damaging experience with being caged. As adults, our girls behave the same way in their crates whether they've voluntarily walked in on their own, or whether we've temporarily confined them -- they curl up and start snoozing. Peg is now rarely confined. Being the excitable baby, Luna still gets some brief time in confinement. Most often when I am giving Peg her eyedrops or eardrops and I want to make sure that there is no way in which Luna will interfere. But I also put Luna in her crate when I am out of the house walking Peg. Up until they were about two years old, for the safety of them and our house, our dogs were always crated whenever we left the house. At this point, though, both girls are reliable enough to have the run of the house together for hours at a time. But somehow I'm still a bit wary about leaving Luna all alone without her big sister around. It was Luna, after all, who decided to eat the chunk out of the drywall...

Marianne

Hi Susan,

We're counting down the hours with you in the California desert!

I am cleaning up here, as well, to make things easier for our newly blind (diabetic) little boy, Sparky. Sparky ( in the avatar, he is on the right) just went blind this past week so I go to your thread for a quick smile if I get a little down.

This all so exciting!

Love & hugs and waitin' with ya',
    Carrol
    Last edited by Bichonluver3; 03-17-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Hi Carrol- I'm so sorry to learn of Sparky's eye issue. How old is Sparky? Peaches had eye issues but she never totally lost her sight. I think things were very cloudy for her most of the time once she was 14 or so.

Marianne - Yes-I got about 2 hours sleep. But.........my small red circles on my legs seem to be fading once again.

When Ryan was 8, we all went to Disney World. He was so excited that he threw up his spaghetti dinner in the night. The trip was paid for and there was no changing of any plans. Bob wanted to cancel the trip. I said-shoot-he can be sick in FL just was well as he can be sick here. It's nicer there now, too. I checked with the pediatrician and he said..."Go!" We did and everything was fine. We had never had Ryan get sick over excitement before....nor since.

I think I am going to eat a very light dinner tomorrow night! (I've never gotten sick because of excitement (before) either!!)

Okay-countdown clock says 1day, 13 hours, thirty seven minutes and 6 seconds!

The kennel gave me access to the video of Ana's pups. Now, if they delete off their site, I'll still have it. It was nice of them to do that.

-Susan
    Last edited by Bailey's Mom; 03-17-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: I couldn't count.....ooops-wrong note to correct..........

Well.........for each of my dogs, I have always ordered one of those name tags that are shaped like a bone. I placed the order for Bailey's on the 12th and they arrived today. The name is "Palmer." Arggghhhhh.
    I have now reordered tags with the name "Bailey." I am just not all here this week!.
    -Susan

Hi Susan!
    Palmer must be laughing himself silly over that one!!!
    Sparky is 9 years old and the cataracts are secondary to his diabetes. The loss of sight came on quickly but is, and always be, our happy boy.
    Hang in there.
    Love,
    Carrol
    OOOO, I'm so excited, I can't stand it!

Yahoo!! I didn't think to adjust the Countdown clock for daylight savings. I've had a rough time of having to figure it out..since it only counts to 12:00 AM on the date it is set for. I kept thinking it was me!! I just jumped ahead one hour. Yippee!!
    So...........one day, 9 hours, 19 minutes and 28 seconds.. ... .......orrrrrrrrr........
    33 hours!!, 18 minutes (just changed), and 33 seconds!!
    We are officially down to counting just hours!!
    I guess I'll have to take this clock along and reset it for next Friday (pick up day)......otherwise you guys will be lost!!
    Goodnight! Going to sleep.

-Susan

Almost time, it's almost time, that special day is almost here

Hugs,
    Addy

YAHOO!!!!!!
    Hugs from us too,
    Carrol
    Last edited by Bichonluver3; 03-18-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Okay-even the countdown clock says 0 days left.....19 hours, 20 minutes and 44 seconds!!! I can't believe it's almost here!!
    I slept very well last night-Palmer (his duck) and I. Did I tell you I have a new one of those ducks and we're taking it with us to use like a pillow? I'll also feel like Palmer is along....which is nice.
    I'll check in before "lift off."

Bountiful hugs for all of you who have been so very helpful and kind!!
    -Susan