Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mira, 7yr old Husky - Cushings ruled out; liver cancer (Mira has passed)

Default Re: 7yr old Husky may have Cushings (help read Blood Test)

I think you will find that any vet you search on the internet is that way. Have to figure that the folks who are unhappy or angry are more likely to go on and post a comment than the ones who are satisfied and happy.

I can't vouch for that particular clinic so don't take this as a recommendation - I just know that I have stopped using online resources to judge a vet clinic because they make them all sound bad and I know from some experience that a lot of people may be confused about what happened to their pets too.

I'd take Glynda's recommendation in a heart beat if I was looking for a vet. Wish she could recommend one for me up north!

Natalie

Quote Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
    I think you will find that any vet you search on the internet is that way. Have to figure that the folks who are unhappy or angry are more likely to go on and post a comment than the ones who are satisfied and happy.

I can't vouch for that particular clinic so don't take this as a recommendation - I just know that I have stopped using online resources to judge a vet clinic because they make them all sound bad and I know from some experience that a lot of people may be confused about what happened to their pets too.

I'd take Glynda's recommendation in a heart beat if I was looking for a vet. Wish she could recommend one for me up north!

Natalie
    Natalie. Thank you for that. I need to be braver I know. It's Dutifully noted and taken to heart. :-)

Glynda - thanks for the link to the Zinc report. I missed this web page in my search. That's got to be it around her eyes, it looks just like the picture except Mira's is not as bad and is not raw looking. That could be because I don't let her scratch her face just for that reason. She has scratched it raw in the past. She does not have the fur loss that is realted to cushings. I will pass this on to the vet.

The megaesophagus thing I don't understand it too well. Does this have anything to do with when a dog pulls to much when being walked and they cough? I have huskies ... All they do is pull, even with spike collars! I never could get a husky not to pull!

Janis-Altira

Help! I can see my dogs heart pounding in her chest. She is breath quietly but fast.

A fast heart rate is one of the symptoms that is listed for Addison's Disease. Definitely ask your vet about the possibility of Addison's when you take Mira in today, OK? You can tell her that in the process of researching Cushing's, you've discovered that Mira also has a lot of the symptoms of Addison's Disease.

Marianne

Is 98 bpm fast? I'm feeling the heart itself. She doesnt seem stressed. My other husky I can't find a pulse at all anywhere. Thigh or behind front left leg. Bless you for being here!!!

I am taking a copy of your first two posts with me to the vets in about four hours. She gets to see the regular vet this time. I watch my dogs breathing all the time. It's always slow and gentle when rest. I've never seen the heart pounding in the chest before. It looked shaky. This will be at the top of my list!

Wanted to let you know that I've sent you a Private Message (PM) with info about sending us scanned copies of Mira's lab results. The fastest way to get to your private mailbox is to click on the link that is right below your username up in the upper right-hand corner of every page.

Marianne

I wasn't quite sure how Addison's (Hypoadrenocorticism) causes Megaesophagus so I looked it up. Here is a little blurb I found as to the cause of acquired Megaesophagus:

The most common endocrine diseases associated with megaesophagus are hypoadrenocorticism and, possibly, hypothyroidism. With hypoadrenocorticism, it is suspected that megaesophagus results from impairment of muscle carbohydrate metabolism due to glucocorticoid insufficiency. In addition, depleted muscle glycogen stores and decreased catecholamine activity may play a role. In one case report, atypical Addison’s disease was diagnosed and subsequent therapy with prednisone resolved the megaesophagus.
    Will be waiting for an update after your appointment with the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post

Natalie
    In my experience with using online reviews for vets, the specialty clinics, who understandably charge more for services, make people very unhappy when they get the bill. I ignore those reviews.