Thread: Any ideas for sweater that covers pup's tummy

Default Any ideas for sweater that covers pup's tummy

Hi All,

I have looked everywhere for a sweater for Zoe that would cover her tummy, not just come down past her chest and I can't find one. I need it to have a hole in the back so i can attach her leash to her harness, I was putting her harness under the sweater. So far they are either too short or do not have the hole or the neck is so tight I can hardly get it on

Her tummy is still bare from her ultra sound and the snow will be flying soon. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have now returned 3 sweaters and the one i kept is short on her.

I have been to Walmart, Target, Petco, Petsmart and Pet Supplys Plus
    She measures 14" from neck to butt but when i get a sweater for that size pup it is usually about 13" long and does not cover her tummy. She weighs 18 pounds.

Thanks,
    Addy

Default Re: Any ideas for sweater that covers pup's tummy

What about this hoodie?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4033044
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Addy
    Have you tried Wallmart. See you have, maybe try online.
    I have bought sweaters for Apollo there.
    They have leg straps to keep the sweater down.
    See below websites.
    As far as the hole for the leash. I simply cut a little hole in the sweater and reinforced the hole with stitches around it.
    Hope this Helps.
    You can also try Target. See you have.
    I bought Apollo's reversible coat on line at Pet co on sale for $17.99, and got free shipping because I bought a few more things.
    Also Amazon.com may be another site to check.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Classic-Ca...d-Dogs/6487908

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Jacquard...525661&sr=8-26

We need to warm up Zoe's little belly.
    Hugs Sonja and Apollo.
    Last edited by apollo6; 10-19-2010 at 06:08 PM.

The sweaters at Walmart covered her belly perfectly but the necks were so tight, it was hard to get over her head. She has a big head (in more ways than one) I could not figure out how to stretch out the neck.

The hoodie looks like a possibility. Looks like it covers the tummy.

I though of cutting up one of hubby's sweaters (oops, don't tell him, was gonna say it shrunk in the wash) and trying to make one.

I just wanted something light weight and than another heavier coat for when it gets really cold here.

I'm to the point I don't care what it costs as long as it covers her tummy.

Problem is, Zoe is always between sizes so it is hard to find a fit.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out.

Addy

Actually, she measures 16" long, that is the problem she is an in-between-er

The hoodie will probably not fit.

Thanks though, it sure looked perfect!!!!

Addy Again

You can cut the sleeve off a sweater and cut holes for the front legs. I used to do that for Mia. For her I used quite small (women's) clothing but Zoe would probably need a larger men's sweater - like, maybe, one of hubby's ()... (You can also get cheap second hand stuff to use too - I used to buy second-hand thermal underwear and use the sleeves off that for Mia. It's really good as a warm, light undergarment for the dog.

Fleecy is good as it won't unravel or fray around the holes. When cutting the holes bear in mind that they will probably need to be smaller than you first think so start with small holes and gradually enlarge them as necessary. I cut the holes too big on my first one and had to throw that one away. Be prepared for at least one disaster as you learn what you need to do to make a sleeve fit Zoe.

Alison

Guess I will check out Goodwill at lunch time tomorrow

I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for the "how to"

Addy

Addy, Alison's suggestion is certainly cheaper and will do the trick but you can order special made sweaters for females. The problem with buying from Walmart and Petsmart is that most sweaters are unisex and do not cover the belly for obvious reasons. Here's a site that makes sweaters to your specifications and the belly is completely covered for females.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/57588734...nd-knitted-dog

Hi Addy,

for years and years I have been, and still am, knitting sweaters/coats for the dogs in Turkey. There are loads of free knitting patterns available online, like this one for example: http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=4149&cps=21191

So that's an option as well, just knit your own sweaters/coats for Zoe and make them custom fit that way

Saskia and Yunah

Oh Saskia, how I wish I could but I don't really know how to knit. It would probably be summer before I finished it!!!!! I will admit I don't know how to sew either But I can cook!!!!!

My Mom was a super knitter but her hands are too arthritic now.

I checked out Glynda's Etsy site and found it amazing. Next best thing!!!

Thanks to ALL of you!!!!

Addy