Page 59 of 89 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: Trinket-our little bauble! has crossed The Bridge

Default Re: Trinket - our little bauble!

It's excellent that it isn't her heart. As for the lungs, it may be a life time thing but I'm not sure. She said dogs get a lung condition that is like COPD and asthma but not really either one like humans have. The pneumonia she described as "a touch" so I took that to mean a mild case. My thinking is that when they redo the tests next week they will know more about the prognosis. By then the pneumonia should be cleared or nearly cleared, making a determination easier.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Yippee, glad to hear this good news. I'll keep sending healing vibes to her lungs. Lots of warm hugs
    Marcela & The Choco Labs
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Back to see Doc this afternoon. She has eaten maybe 1 1/2 tbsp since yesterday morning. He gave her some Mertazapine and gave her a dose in the office. He said if she isn't eating by morning he wants to see her again. Supper is in about 30min so I hope she will eat for me. I went to Kroger and got organic chicken, beef, lamb, and 2 FreshPet foods plus 2 new canned feeds to try. ONE of us will eat good!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Sending encouragement to eat from Florida to Trinket!
    Judy H. (Always "Maggie and Abbie's Mom" & now "Sadie Sue's Mom")
    Venice, FL

Trinket did eat a little bit of supper and ate a few bites of salmon I had cooked for her later. I also gave her all her medicine from the IMS around 5pm yesterday. At around 6:30 I found them partially dissolved in the bed so I poke the remains back in. I woke up this morning with one in my hair so she is hiding them in her mouth then spitting them out when I'm not looking! Little stinker!

I haven't had a chance to check in for a few days, so I'm just catching up. I'm so pleased to hear that it isn't little Trinket's heart but sad to hear about her lungs and also that she's not eating that well and spitting the pills out
    Sending loads of "feel hungry Trinket" wishes from Henry and me xx

Thanks! Her breathing IS better tho she still coughs and wheezes at times, especially when stressed. Which happens at least 4 times a day when she has to take meds. She can fight and fight hard. I have been worried about her hurting her neck or shoulder she twists and flops so badly....and her lips and jaws from me having to hold her mouth open trying to hit it with a pill and poke it down her throat. For last nite and this morning's doses I ground the pills, put them in water, and shot it down her throat via a syringe. It is faster and less messy and I don't think she is getting any less of the drugs this way than she would drooling them out or spitting them out.

Eating is iffy. She ate supper well but I have offered 3 different meals this morning with no luck so far. Cod and sweet potato warming to try now. This can go on for hours til I hit on something she will eat.

She will finish the antibiotic Tues morning and I am hoping that is part of the inappetence problem. We see the IMS and Dr. Erickson then too. I thought everyone at this hospital was an IMS but only Dr. Nafe has that level of degree. The DMVs that work there have specialized training in certain areas tho and Dr. Erickson is one with cardiopulmonary interest and training so I am comfortable with them on our team.

We went back to LR for a recheck today and I left the house preparing myself to leave her there for oxygen since she has sounded worse to me since Sun. Her cough is harsher and she sounds wetter so I was expecting to learn the pneumonia wasn't responding to the ABs and she would need O2 and IV drugs. But she sounds much better to them and the xrays today show she a much greater lung capacity and there was more air showing today. So she is better. It is me, just getting into my hyper-alert state.

Doc did increase the bronchiodilator tho and wants her to stay on the ABs for 10 more days when we go back for another recheck.

She has been eating without the stimulant on board tho it usually takes several offerings before I hit on what she wants. I have also figured out she is SPOILED rotten! She will eat much better in the bed than on the floor at her usual place. On the floor she will take a bite or two then walk away...so I put her and her food in the bed so the others don't snag it. Now she just refuses anything on the floor! Little stinker!

Trinket is doing better now that mom is on to her tricks and is making sure ALL her pills are swallowed...even if that means we go thru 3-4 pills to get ONE down the gullet! But she is adjusting to this routine as well and only morphs into a Bengal tiger crossed with an eel once or twice a day now instead of 7 times. LOL

She is eating better and has decided the last two days that she will once again eat her raw rabbit - thankfully as it has good mineral content for her. I hope to get started cooking for her soon. She has not needed an appetite stimulant in over a week now and that makes me so very, very happy. Tho I think I may have created a real Prima Dona when it comes to meal times - she still insists on eating in bed!

Her coughing is much less now and she doesn't sound as wet as she did last week. Her behavior is becoming more like my sweet Itty Bitty Baby usually acts - she has even participated in the breakfast Barkfest twice recently! She gets stressed more easily than she used to which results in a coughing fit but I can control quite a few of the stressors for her.

We see the docs at Hillcrest Animal Hospital again Fri for a check up but anecdotally I am very pleased with her progress.

Dr. Erickson agrees that Trinket is MUCH better! Actually swallowing her medicine does make a difference for the little stinker. She has 7 more days of the antibiotic since we really don't know how much she got those first 7 days then she is done with them. She will remain on Theophylline daily and the Guaifenesin as needed for cough for life but the pneumonia is clearing up nicely - thank goodness!

I told Dr. Erickson that Trink is acting more like her old self, too. She tried eating a meal in her usual place on the floor but decided the next meal she truly does deserve to eat in the bed. She has participated in several Barksfests now, is usually at the door when I come in from outside, has stopped growling anytime someone walks by too close, and is sleeping better...tho she now snores. (Think of Evinrude the dragonfly in The Rescuers. )