Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rozee hormone imbalance??

Default Rozee hormone imbalance??

Rozee went for her yearly check up a bit early this year because we felt her hair was a bit thin and much like Debbie’s Chewy, she has lost her beautiful bushy tail. I was pretty sure it was thyroid as she tested low last year but was chalked up to her and Roxee going through a very rough bout of diarrhea.

Vet called about a week ago and he “suspects” a hormone imbalance! Isn’t that another phrase for Atypical? Needless to say I was in shock and speechless for a short time.

Vet suggested 4 mg of melatonin for 45 to 60 days and if no improvement seen to go ahead and do some expensive test. So I asked if he was referring to the UTK panel. With a very surprised look on his face he said yes and asked how I knew about this? I fessed up and told him I just lost Rozee’s littermate sister last July and that she was diagnosed with PDH cushing’s. (This vet didn’t know about Roxee or our cushing’s experience)

She has no other symptoms. No excessive thirst or need to urinate. No increase in appetite, little pot belly but she has always had a barrel shape since she was a puppy. Vet’s have always mentioned her belly but we have always said she just never lost her puppy fat. She has had a few ear infections in the last year. Persistant cough vet claims was from an overinflated trach tube during her dental. So I am in serious doubt but will follow instructions and we will see.

There is one other symptom that bothers me, she tends to shiver or shudder after a deep breath or yawn.

So for now I am going to put this thread into “Everything Else”, as it is only a “suspected” “hormonal imbalance”. If needed we will follow through with the UTK in 45 to 60 days.

Rozee
    Shih-Tzu / Lhasa mix (spayed)
    14 ½ years old
    14 pounds

Abnormal blood work:
    March 2009

ALK 265 (5-131)
    Pot. 5.9 (3.6-5.5) (probably because of the diarrhea)
    T4 0.8 (1.0-4.0) Low

Feb 2010
    ALB 4.5 (2.5-4.4)
    ALK 457 (10-118) (increase over last year)
    Calcium 11.6 (8.6-11.6)

T3 55.0 (30-180)
    T4 1.7 (1.0-4.0)
    Last edited by Roxee's Dad; 02-27-2010 at 09:39 PM.
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)

Default Re: Rozee hormone imbalance??

You could get her estradiol level checked very cheaply by UTK - it doesn't even need a stim - I think it's only about $50.00 for that one. If it comes out high you could save time and start her on flax as well as the melatonin.

Are you going to redo the thyroid testing?

Alison

Quote Originally Posted by AlisonandMia View Post
    You could get her estradiol level checked very cheaply by UTK - it doesn't even need a stim - I think it's only about $50.00 for that one. If it comes out high you could save time and start her on flax as well as the melatonin.

Are you going to redo the thyroid testing?

Alison
    Hi Ali and thanks,
    I will inquire with her vet on the estradiol level and yes, she will be checked again in 45 to 60 days. Her level now seems to be just under the middle of the range, but I have been reading that some dogs do a bit better in the upper range.

BTW - I forgot to mention she was spayed at an early age.
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)

Hi John,

Poor Rozee I just looked on the UTK website and to get just the estradiol tested is $25.00. To get estradiol/progesterone/testosterone tested together is $65.00.

http://www.vet.utk.edu/diagnostic/en...logy/index.php

You know for a while there with Harley only his estradiol was really elevated and he had all the cushings symptoms except drinking tons of water and peeing excessively, now man does he have bad hair days...poor guy. rat tail! He also had a low T4 which was checked out by a Free T4 by ED and came back ok, and Dr Oliver said that the elevated estradiol would not affect his low thyroid level anyway, but would help in raising his blood pressure that was high.

Hope you find answers about Rozee. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs,
    Lori

Hi John,

It is possible that Rozee's thyroid level is a little too low. When Corky's level went down, he was also shivering and shaking. I even spoke with Dr. Dodds about this, and she felt that Corky's medication was too low at that time.

I hope you are able to get answers that will help Rozee.
    Love and hugs,

Terri and (Angel) Corky

Hi Brother John,

I'm crossing everything that whatever this turns out to be is resolved quickly.
    Best Wishes to all,

John & My Angel Angelina

John with the alk phos edging up, something is definitely going on. Just to put PDH or ADH concerns aside immediately, why not do a UCCR ASAP? I was so worried about Chewy having Cushing's I insisted on a UCCR being done last fall.

What about possible allergy issues? Dr. Lewis, my derm vet, says that hair loss is not common with allergies, but not impossible, & with the persistant ear infections that also makes me suspicious. Chewy had 3 ear infections in about a year, before I had Dr. Lewis work him up. The other thing I'm thinking of, (thanks, Glynda), since Chewy's allergy shots have not resolved the hair issues is that, in his case, I might be dealing with Alopecia X.

Just my thoughts.

Debbie
    Mom to 2 Cushing's angels

Deb, do you know whether or not the test would indicate atypical cushings? Just curious. Thanks. K

I assume you mean the UCCR? No, it only measures cortisol, but with the alk phos going up, I think a "rule-out" of PDH/ADH is warranted, IMO.

Debbie
    Mom to 2 Cushing's angels

Sorry, I see that you clearly stated that. John had mentioned atypical so my mind was there.

John, fyi... I am in a similar situation. My other dog Annie had almost identical alk readings the last 2 tests as your dog. I too am trying to determine next step. She is hypothyroid (or so they say)...have you had any thyroid issues? Kim