In addition to our support forum here at the Canine Cushing's Board, there are a number of organizations and websites that offer services and resources to pet owners who are grieving the loss of their beloved companions. Listed below are some "starting points." We will be adding to this list as time goes on. Please let us know if you have found an organization or resource that has been particularly helpful to you.

Support, Information, and Memorials:

The ASPCA maintains this supportive link for pet owners facing difficult decisions about end-of-life issues:

What’s Your Grief is a website devoted to providing support and resources for anyone who is experiencing grief in any form. Of particular comfort may be the article entitled, ”Growing Around Grief,” which offers a hopeful model for our own life’s path following a loss.

"Important Things to Know About Grief and Loss," By Jacquelyn Strickland, LPC, HSP -- This is a very helpful article containing insightful information about the grieving process and also suggestions as to personal coping strategies that may ease your journey.

Veterinary School Hotlines:
This page contains links to vet school hotlines across the country.

Professional Counseling:

Sometimes the grief that we feel may be so intense or so long lasting that it is helpful to talk with a professional counselor. For many of us, our dear pets have been the one constant support in our daily lives. When all else goes wrong, we have had them to love and to love us back. When we lose them, suddenly we may find it difficult to cope with our other problems or burdens. If you find yourself struggling, the help of a professional counselor or therapist can be invaluable. There are many types of "helping" professionals -- for instance, psychologists, clinical social workers, marriage and family therapists, and licensed professional counselors. The important thing is to find a professional with whom you feel comfortable.

How to find a helping professional? Some of the websites above offer links to therapists with interests in pet loss. Also, you can always ask your vet if he or she can refer you to a trained professional. However, if you or your spouse are employed, you may also want to find our whether your employer has an "Employee Assistance Program." Typically, such programs allow employees/family members to make initial contact with a counselor who helps to evaluate their problems and then offer appropriate referrals. If your employer provides insurance coverage for therapy, the "EAP" counselor can help make sure that the referral is to a professional who is covered by your insurance.

If you want to find a counselor or a therapist "on your own," here are some national referral resources. For each of these sites, once you reach the homepage, you will find a link to search for counselors in your area.

American Psychological Association
National Association of Social Workers
American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy

In addition, many individual states have Licensed Professional Counselor associations. You can check this out by looking in the telephone directory or performing an internet search for your state.