Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good job LA Rescue Team

Default Good job LA Rescue Team

If you get the Headline News channel, check it out as I''m sure they'll replay it many times today. They just showed a rescue of a poor dog (shepherd looking) trapped in an LA flood channel. Rushing water in the channnel, and very steep concrete walls on both sides as the dog tried in vain to scale the side. I'd just walked in the door and when I saw the situation the dog was in, I didn't think I could watch. But then the helicopter swooped in with a firefighter (?) dangling from the end of a rope. They lowered him down, air and water whipping wildly from the helicopter, scaring the dog. The pup tried to fight, but was so utterly exhausted that in less than a minute or so, the rescuer was able to get a grip (and maybe a sling?) on him and up the two went, into the air, rescuer clinging fearlessly to the dog. They moved over to a nearby bridge and let him down where several people rushed in to tend to him. Seems he's now on his way to the vets to get checked out. Evidently not a stray, just a very unlucky but now very relieved k9!!! His rescuers . . . heroes in my book!! Sue
    Last edited by zoesmom; 01-22-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Default Re: Good job LA Rescue Team

I was in the car Sue, and heard about it live.

Apparently the poor pup bit the person who was doing his best to rescue it.

God bless the pup and the rescuer.

Hope you all are alright.

Scott

I watched it live on CNN online (when I should have been working). It was really difficult to watch, it looked like the dog was trying to bite the rescuer but it also looked like the guy had protective gear on (but I could be wrong about that). Poor dog must have been so terrified.

It is so heartwarming to see people do their best for animals particularly when others do their worst.

Carol & Atty Cat and always Winnie & McGill

Yeh, it looked to me that way too. Like the dog was so frightened he was trying to (or did) bite the rescuer. I was so worried the guy would give up, given how the dog was fighting him. But he didn't!! He perservered, despite the risk to his own life and the risk of being bitten. Hope they do a follow-up and that the dog is fine! The rescuer was hoisted back into the helicopter and off he flew - probably to get into some dry gear. That water had to be mucho frigido. Sue

Looks like the poor guy did get a bit of a chewing. That poor dog must have been absolutely terrified and just not in his right mind. Remember that dog that crunched Wendy's (H-man) hand when she rescued it beside a freeway? I believe he turned out to be a really nice dog.

Here's a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEU3kPlCdw

Alison

Thank you for posting the link to the video, Alison. That poor little pup had to be scared to death.

Terri

Thanks Ali,

I had not seen the video.

I so hope that furry one is in a very happy place tonight.

God bless those who saved the little one.

Scott

I found the following follow-up on the dog. The rescuer did get bitten several times, he really is a hero. I was so afraid he wouldn't be able to hold on to the dog. The second link has photos with some of the dog at the end -- really a nice looking dog.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,4112738.story

http://www.ktla.com/community/photos...8.photogallery

Carol & Atty Cat and always Winnie & McGill

Update: the rescuer was just bitten once (which of course makes him no less of a hero)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...og-rescue.html

Latest update: No one has come forward to claim this dog

Good news is that there is a long list of people that want to adopt him.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unle...efighters.html
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)