Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Chewy:Now, hypothyroid?

Default Re: Chewbacca, my other medically needy dog

I forgot to comment on vets switching back to Lysodren. I wonder if this is happening because of the high number of adverse effects when following Dechra's recommended dosing. UC Davis flushed Dechra's recommendations because of the disparity in dosing and developed their own protocol, as has Dr. Bruyette.

Glynda, I know you've been listening to Dr. Bruyette's taped lectures a lot lately, and do you know what he's currently recommending as a once-daily starting dose? Per his 2009 video on our "Resources" forum, he states that it is 5 mg./kg., which is even much higher than Dechra's current range. I'm wondering whether he's revised that recommendation recently?

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231

(And my apologies to Debbie for hijacking Chewy's thread...)

Marianne

P.S. OOPS! Never mind -- I was thinking he said 5 mg./lb. instead of 5 mg./kg. -- so he's right in the middle of Dechra's published 1-3 mg./lb. range...
    Last edited by labblab; 03-25-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: To add P.S.

Dr. L also mentioned the possibility of using cyclosporin. He said that one of the side effects of cyclo is hair will regrow. I kind of frowned & said I don't think so. Again, way to harsh for simple hair loss, IMO. I, also, do not trust cyclosporin since it's a major immune system suppressant. Barkley was on it for years for his allergies, & it did him a world of good. The thing is that you will never, ever convince me that this long-term immune system suppression wasn't the cause of the lymphoma developing. I did tell him that if this is, indeed, alopecia X, & Chew continues to lose more hair, he's just going to have to wear a sweater, if he gets too cold. His hair loss doesn't bother him, just bothers Mom, & Mom will have to learn to get over it.

Debbie
    Mom to 2 Cushing's angels

Debbie, the good news is that our babies will always have hair on their heads and feet so nobody will ever know if you keep em in sweaters.

Marianne, I could have sworn that I heard Dr. Bruyette say that everybody starts anywhere from 5mg to 10mg. I'll have to go back and see if that was the actual dose or if it was mg/kg or mg/lb. Will report back later.

Hi Debbie,
    About the flax seed oil- I used that for a time with Franklin and accidently increased his triglyceride level. I realise you're well aware of oils, and effects they can have, but just thought I'd pass it along.
    Jane, Franklin and Bailey xxx
    ________
    GracefulDoll
    Last edited by Franklin'sMum; 05-02-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Thanks, Jane! Even though the derm vet wanted me to use the oil, Chewy is going on flaxhulls, right along with Harley. I am very careful with any additional oil in both pup's diets as Harley has a pre-existing gallbladder condition, & he can't handle the extra fat.

Debbie

I haven't updated about Chewy in a very long time. He has been on the flax hulls +melatonin now for just about 4 months, along with his twice a month allergy injections. He was groomed about a week ago, & I see absolutely no improvement in his bald spot or the areas of thinning hair. I will have to learn to live with it. The good news is the shots are working as Chewy has not had an ear infection since he started them a little over a year ago.

His biggest problem, now, is weight. He gained 5 lbs. from Feb. to May. I WAS ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIED!! No wonder he's having trouble jumping on the bed. I could tell he had gained, but had no idea it was that much. You would swear I have been stuffing that boy's face 24/7, but I really haven't. His food/treats, everything has been cut way back. I would like to go for walks, but walks this time of year in Phoenix are almost out of the question. Even if we were to get going at 7AM, it still would be 90 or higher, & I will not take a pup out in that kind of heat.

Chewy is my mellow, fellow. Always happy, glad to see you, & cooperates for his eye drops, meds, & everything else. I sort of wish the little demon dog would take lessons from him.

Debbie

Went to VCA West LA but Dr Bruyette was not listed as part of the staff. Any idea where he is? BTW Chloe with Atypical Cushings has very good results in the hair department on Melatonin and SDG flax hulls (ordered online)
    Carrol

Heh Deb - how about we take that extra 5 lbs and give 1/2 of it to Harley and 1/2 of it to Annie? Will that work? I know how you feel about weight surprises... Annie has always been 17-18 lbs so when my vet calculated lysodren dosage based on a weight of 14.5 lbs I told him no way! (poor guy) I took her in to be weighed again with me watching. He was right! Her cush belly masked the loss.... I am sure she is under 14 now.

You think you are on top of things and they still surprise ya. Just wanted you to know you aren't alone!!!

Glad to hear Chewy is doing well. Weight gain? I guess Chewy and I are in the same boat, I've gained a few pounds since I arrived in Phoenix. and yes it is a bit warm outside.
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)