Thread: Checking in for December 2009

Smile Checking in for December 2009

We suspect that we have a good number of folks here who read the messages regularly but who don't post very often. Maybe that's because their dogs are doing well and they don't have any questions to ask, or maybe they don't feel very comfortable about posting answers to other members' questions.

It's perfectly understandable and acceptable for folks to only post here once in a while, but when we don't hear from people, many of us find ourselves wondering what those folks have been up to recently and how their dogs are doing.

"Checking in" is a topic that we start on the first of each month, where folks can post a reply to let everyone else know how they are doing. You may just want to say "Hi! We're still here and we're doing fine" or you may want to tell us more -- about a really good test result, or something funny that your dog did recently, or a camping trip that you went on ... that sort of thing.

We'd love to hear from you!

Default Re: Checking in for December 2009

Well, Harry is ticking along but has his problems now there's big cataracts to deal with and his hearing is pretty much gone. Still, the beach is his favourite place apart from being with his buddies, and in 2 weeks we're moving to a little house with it's own garden. he can say goodbye to his dreaded dog loo and the confines of the balcony, and get sunbaking on the lawn with a bone. YAY!!!
    Merry Christmas everyone
    Wendy, Harry, Izzy & darling Princess Patsy in heaven xxxx

Hi everyone. I know a lot of people on here don't know me. I lost my boy back in July at age 16 1/2. His cushings was under control with Lysodren. He was dxed with Lymphoma in October '08 and we did chemo to get 8 months of remission and good quality of life before the cancer returned July 1. We lost him 5 months ago today.

I have not been on this board much. I've spent a lot of time with a lymphoma support loss group. I don't yet have the energy to be of much use on here. I hope I can return in the future to help support others with cushings - especially with the mature pups. This group was a life line to me when Niko was loading, and then after and I am so thankful.

We have since adopted 2 kitties. It's nice to have some 4 legged fury beasts in the house again, though nothing compares to Niko. One of these days we'll have another pup as well.

Wishing all of you the best for the holidays. Extra special shout out to all those that work every day to help those dealing with cushings on these boards. Special shout out to Debbie. Because of her, I had many more months with my boy.

Bettina

Hi Everyone:

Well, last month was a bit hectic. Kira had warts on all four of her paws and the 2 on the back paws were pretty bad, so the vet and I decided to remove them before the ice and snow got at them this winter.

The evening of the surgery, poor Kira was like a drunk. She couldn't walk and had to be carried into the house. That night we slept in the basement, in case she needed to pee and I knew she wouldn't be able to climb the stairs to the main floor and down to the yard. She got waaaay more sleep than I did that night. Every move she made had me up and watching her. But by the next morning, she rallied and was able to get up the basement stairs and down the back yard stairs without too much assistance. I held onto her collar in case she slipped. And going up the stairs, I made a sling out of a towel, which I put under her belly, again, just in case she tripped going up. By the evening, she was able to go up and down stairs pretty well, though I was there every step (just in case). At beddy bye time, I placed her bed next to mine and went to get ready for bed. When I got back into the bedroom, she was lying in the middle of the bed. She had made it up there without any assistance. OK, I've got a hassock at the end of the bed and she uses that as a stepping stone up. But she's used that for the last 3 years. I was really surprised how quickly she rallied. She got to sleep on the bed that night.

She's completely back to normal now and the fur is even starting to grow back where they shaved her. I wasn't too sure about that because Cushing dogs can have trouble growing back fur they lose.

Now that it's finally gotten cold here, she's very happy and spends a lot of her time outside. I think she's waiting for a really good snowfall, so that she can lie on top of it. She just loves it.

On Monday was the dreaded "B" day. (That's BATH day for all you uninitiated). Surprisingly, she didn't put up too much of fight. Once she realized that she was locked in the laundry room with us, she just stood in front of the sink and waited for the lift up. She made a couple of token escape attempts, but we were able to hold her in. I really think she feels good after her bath, but she has to put on a good show for us.

To think, a year ago I was still panicking about her and her meds. Amazing the difference a year can make!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL. AND A HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOURS

Heidi

Bettina:

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by bkdice View Post
    Hi everyone. I know a lot of people on here don't know me. I lost my boy back in July at age 16 1/2. His cushings was under control with Lysodren. He was dxed with Lymphoma in October '08 and we did chemo to get 8 months of remission and good quality of life before the cancer returned July 1. We lost him 5 months ago today.

I have not been on this board much. I've spent a lot of time with a lymphoma support loss group. I don't yet have the energy to be of much use on here. I hope I can return in the future to help support others with cushings - especially with the mature pups. This group was a life line to me when Niko was loading, and then after and I am so thankful.

We have since adopted 2 kitties. It's nice to have some 4 legged fury beasts in the house again, though nothing compares to Niko. One of these days we'll have another pup as well.

Wishing all of you the best for the holidays. Extra special shout out to all those that work every day to help those dealing with cushings on these boards. Special shout out to Debbie. Because of her, I had many more months with my boy.

Bettina

Bettina,
    I was so sorry to hear about your loss. You were so very helpful to me with finding this great group.
    January and Serena

Hi,
    I belatedly realized that it is past time for my monthly Serena update. She is doing well, but I am trying to resolve her chronic loose bowel movements. As per the helpful suggestions from this list she has been on a probiotic and L-Glutamine for several months, but it really hasn't made much of a difference. I talked to her IM vet yesterday and we are going to try Budesonide. It is hideously expensive so the trial will just be for two weeks. I was hoping that if it works, others on the list might know of where to get the best buy for it.
    Hope everyone has a peaceful holiday season.
    January and Serena
    P.S. Also posting this on her thread.

Hello all, I am late this year in checkin in. I have had another grand child My DIL had a baby son on 18th December 2009, same date as her daughter and her birthday Now I have three on the same day, easy to remember.

Hugs
    Loraine (Coco's Mum forever, now Zedley's Mum)
    Loraine (Coco's Mum forever, was also Zedley's Mum) now Iggy's Mum