Thread: Checking in for October 2009

Smile Checking in for October 2009

We suspect that we have a good number of folks here who read the messages regularly but who don't post very often. Maybe that's because their dogs are doing well and they don't have any questions to ask, or maybe they don't feel very comfortable about posting answers to other members' questions.

It's perfectly understandable and acceptable for folks to only post here once in a while, but when we don't hear from people, many of us find ourselves wondering what those folks have been up to recently and how their dogs are doing.

"Checking in" is a topic that we start on the first of each month, where folks can post a reply to let everyone else know how they are doing. You may just want to say "Hi! We're still here and we're doing fine" or you may want to tell us more -- about a really good test result, or something funny that your dog did recently, or a camping trip that you went on ... that sort of thing.

We'd love to hear from you!

Default Re: Checking in for October 2009

Hi All,
    Thought I would check in for October. Shadow just got her 6 month test results back and eveything is looking great. She's still needs to get rid of a couple of pounds but other than that she's doing so well. The irregular breathing problem turned out to be all that hair. We took her to get shaved shortly after my last post and all that hair was causing her to be over heated. We really hated getting it shaved off since it grew in so beautifully for the first time in a few years but it made a world of difference.
    I can't explain how blessed we are to have found this site and for the excellent results Shadow has gotten since beginning Trilostane. Thank you all for the great advise and for the support when I thought I was going to go crazy dealing with this. What a difference 6 months makes, not perfect but not far from it .Well we will all be loading up in the motorhome and heading to the mountains in a few weeks to see some fall colors and take all those walks our pup loves so much, must be the new smells.
    Wishing All Of You The Best !!!
    Karen

Hi,
    Serena and I thought it was time to check in. She is well. Currently she is finally off the prednisone and will be having another stim test in a couple of weeks. Her IBD seems to be OK without the prednisone. She has lost a little weight, but seems to be maintaining at 11.3 pounds. Her coat is still problematic -- very thin and very fine. We are hoping it is from the prednisone. Since her thyroid was a little low she is on thyroid supplementation. Her attitude is great, although she has gotten into the habit of barking at me whenever she wants ANYTHING -- potty, food, attention. We will stay in touch.
    January and ratty looking Serena
    Will also add this to her thread.

Hi,
    We are doing good...Shadow is pretty normal, as normal as can be for a husky... Should be getting her DES and Mitotane in the mail soon..I'm so glad I finally went and emailed them.
    Shadow & Lynne
    " There's Nothing Like A huskyslove"

Smile Re: Checking in for October 2009

Kira is doing very well. Now that the weather has gotten cooler, she is much more active than she was all summer. She's taken to chasing the squirrels away from the bird feeders. She's barely sleeping during the day now, when she's outside. If it's raining and she's forced to stay in, well, then all bets are off. You can find her sleeping contentedly on my bed.

She had her 6 month ACTH test on Tuesday. She is doing very well. Here are the results:

Costisol (0 hr) 50 (= 1.81 u.s.)
    Costisol (1 hr) 115 (= 4.17 u.s.)
    Costisol (2 hr) 129 (= 4.67 u.s.)

The numbers are a bit on the high side, but her clinical symptoms have all disappeared.

She had a slight reaction to the ACTH injection. On Tuesday evening and night, she was drinking bowlfuls of water, panting even while she was lying down and of course, she had to go out twice during the night. It wasn't a good night of either of us. However, within 12 to 18 hours the all stopped.

I also go the geriatric bloodwork done on her and the only test which was a little above the norm was the 'ALP'. It was up around 382, with the reference range being between 24 and 141. However, on checking back to her last test, that number has actually gone down from 538.

So I'm pleased with her progress. My girl is her old self. Even her arthritis doesn't seem to be as bad anymore. I haven't given her metacam since the spring. She does get a glucosomine/chondroiten capsule every night, with her dinner. It probably finally kicked in.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things continue to go good for her.

Heidi

Rascal is doing good, even with the loss of his sister Darla. He is totally off all meds and has had no complications from his adrenal gland surgery. I will continue to watch for signs of depression. So far so good.
    Sarah, Rascal and Darla in Spirit
    Last edited by sarahbera1; 10-20-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Hello members. I still look in from time to time, although I no longer have a Cushpup. I like to try and keep up with the goings on and inprovements in the Canine Cushing's world.
    Last edited by Loraine; 10-21-2009 at 10:45 PM.
    Loraine (Coco's Mum forever, was also Zedley's Mum) now Iggy's Mum