Thread: Can I use my tramadol for my dog?

Default Can I use my tramadol for my dog?

I saw a discussion here on pain meds and tramadol. After removing a rather large mass from my Macho Man's chest, the vet sent him home with a dose of rimadyl that seems too much for his 29 pounds (75 mg).

I am wondering if I should cut that in half (using it for the swelling) and give him some of the tramadol prescribed for me to help with pain? Is mine the same as the canine tramadol? How much would I use for a 30 lb dog?

I'm not happy with this vet. He just handed me this med that can have harmful side effects, without telling me about the side effects or giving me an info sheet on it. His manner was to blow off any concerns I had. So I don't have much hope of getting help if I call him back.

Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: Can I use my tramadol for my dog?

Thanks for joining and asking this question.

We are a forum focused on Cushing's but in the course of discussing the pups lots of medical issues come up.

As you know both of the meds you have mentioned are used and in varying doses depending on the particular medical circumstance. I am sorry you are not comfortable with the communication you have recieved from your Dr. We are not Drs. and all we do here is share experience and practical advice. No one here is in a position to answer the question you have posted directly.

I think it is important for you to direct these questions back to the treating Dr. It would just not be appropriate for any of us to comment further on the issue of dose.

Best to you and your pup.

Scott

Hello,

I totally agree with Scott. I don't think it is ever a good idea to give
    any kind of medication without getting the "go-a-head" from the
    attending doctor who knows all the circumstances.
    Since the weekend is approaching, Is it possible for you to get in touch
    with the vet today and discuss this with him?

Good luck and let us know.

My main concern was whether tramodol is the same med used for dogs and people, but perhaps no one knew the answer.

I called a holistic vet I use sometimes and got some advice. She lives an hours drive away, but from now on the drive will be worth it. If you had talked to this other vet, you would know why I have no faith in his off handed lack of communication.

My last dog had Cushings. I wish I had known more then about what I learned after getting Macho and doing a lot of research!

Hi and welcome,

As far as whether or not the meds are the same, I do believe they are. I would be hesitant to use them without the vets approval, tho, just to be sure there would be no problems for your Macho. A drug interaction after such a major surgery could be rough on him.

Does Macho have Cushing's? I would be interested in hearing about him and how you came to find us. Seems kinda odd that someone would just fall into a Cushing's forum. But, you have had prior experience with the condition, haven't you. You just knew what wonderful folks cush parents are, huh?

I hope Macho is recovering well and there are no bumps in the road for you or him!

Hugs,
    Leslie and the girls
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I do not think you may assume just because the med is named the same that you may administer a prescription med to other than the individual (person or otherwise) prescribed.

It is illegal and it is risky.

Leslie is right to advise you to seek the approval of the treating Dr.

Scott

There is a version of Tramadol that is ok for dogs and there is a version that is NOT ok. You need to check with your vet before giving Tramadol. It can be very dangerous if not administered properly. It is a narcotic pain reliever and not something to mess with if you don't know what you are doing. If you don't like your vet, many other vets can advise on its use.
    Everything I need to know about life I learned from Pallie.

Thanks to everyone for the answers. Took me awhile to get back online. I found your site through a search on the meds and because my last dog, Sasha, had cushings, felt sort of at home reading your posts, even though Macho is very healthy. He actually has a high pain threshold and since he showed no sign of pain I never needed to give a med. He was back to normal as soon as the surgery meds wore off. I used a homeopathic remedy for wounds to help healing and will get his stitches out Friday. I'll ask the vet then about the tramadol for curiosity's sake, though I won't be going back to him again. And will suggest that he let patients know about the side effects of meds he hands out so they can make an informed decision.

I do appreciate the cautions given. Unless someone knew from their vet that tramadol for dogs and humans was the same it was a long shot. I'm thankful I didn't have to see him in pain because I sure didn't want to use rimadyl unless absolutely necessary.

Even though Sasha had health problems (we took her to our state university vet center at one point) she lived around fourteen years (a guess because she was a rescue). I wish all of you and your pets the best!

Thank you for the update. Hope Macho gets well soon. Choco healing kisses for friday when they take out the stiches, and for you lots of rest.
    Marcela & The Choco Labs
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

FYI the tramadol I give Nike is the peoples tramadol, I get it from my pharm. You do have to be very careful on the dosage, i gave Nike what the vet told me I could give her and she was stoned out of her head, she gets 1/2 of what she can have.
    glad to hear you didnt need it, and that your pup is doing better. I know what its like to see your best friend in pain and glad it hasnt come to that.
    Good luck
    Sharon