PDA

View Full Version : Niko has crossed the bridge

StarDeb55
07-16-2009, 10:55 PM
I am posting this on Bettina's behalf, as she has asked me to do so. She has also told me that she will post in the next several days. I am deeply saddened to report that Bettina helped Niko cross the bridge at home tonight at the age of 16 1/2.

Dearest Niko fought a very brave battle with his Mom's help against both Cushing's & lymphoma. Rest in peace, dear boy, I know your Mom will miss you. I know that Barkley was there to greet you & show you the ropes.

Debbie

lulusmom
07-16-2009, 11:09 PM
Debbie, thank you for letting us know about this sad news. I remember Niko very well and was always taken by the stamina he had for his age. Bettina was an awesome mom and my heart goes out to her.

Godspeed sweet Niko.

G.

BestBuddy
07-17-2009, 02:48 AM
Dear Bettina,
I am so sorry to hear Niko has crossed the bridge. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Jenny

Sammie
07-17-2009, 05:02 AM
Niko will always know you were the very best mom. Dottie

Harley PoMMom
07-17-2009, 06:50 AM
Dearest Bettina,

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Niko, my thoughts and prayers are with you also.

Peace sweet Niko.
Lori

Squirt's Mom
07-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Dear Bettina,

Niko fought a hard battle with you at his side the whole way. You were with him last nite and in the days that came before just as you were all his life and I know he is grateful to you for all you have done for him.

When you feel up to posting, we would be honored to share in remembering his life in the In Loving Memory section at:

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Niko is listed with all our babies who have gone before in 2009 and linked to the ILM Photo Album at:

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132

Our thoughts and prayers continue for your and yours,
In deepest sympathy,
Leslie, Squirt, Ruby, Goldie and Crystal

MiniSchnauzerMom
07-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Bettina,

I was saddened to read this post and I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Niko.

Peace be with you, sweet Niko.

Louise

gpgscott
07-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Bettina, Please post when you feel like it.

They rely on us and trust us implicitly.

I wish you peace in your memories of the happy times you and Niko shared.

Scott

Louie's Mom
07-17-2009, 01:54 PM
I am so sorry to read this. Rest in peace, little one.

bkdice
07-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Thank you Debbie, for posting.
Thank you everyone for your responses. The response overall, to Niko's passing has been so heart warming. Having had my boy for nearly 1/2 my life, a LOT of people got the pleasure of meeting him.

Here is my post from my facebook notes... I'll write his story and add a link to a gallery slide show, in the "In Loving Memory" section later this weekend.

From July 16 2009: My sweet boy went to the bridge tonight. He was surrounded by family and helped by a dear vet friend in the comfort of our home. He will be laid to rest tomorrow morning at my parent's house. I will be planting a weeping cherry tree for him soon.

Niko was dxed with lymphoma 10/16/08. He came out of remission on 7/1. He was in good spirits with good energy most of the time until yesterday. He became lethargic, then extremely disoriented and terribly restless. It was a hard night. While it became clear it was his time today, when he could not stand or walk w/o help, it was still hard to 'make the call'. He did go peacefully w/o a fight. I whispered in his ear long past him being able to hear me.

I do not know if it was the lymphoma that got him - or a macrotumor - or if it was just his age taking it's toll. He was 16 years and 7 months. While I know how lucky I am to have had this incredible creature in my life for so long (almost 1/2 my life!) it wasn't enough. The hole in my heart is indescribable.

The Last Battle (Author Unknown)

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this - the last battle - can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me until the end.
And hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree,
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close - we two - these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

corgipallie
07-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Bettina, you are in my thoughts. I know our time with our furry kids is never enough. I only wish all of us here have at least 16 years. You're very lucky. Someone up above made a mistake when they decided dogs won't live as long as we love them.

Roxee's Dad
07-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Dear Bettina,
I am so sorry for your great loss. I am sure Niko is watching over you.

Rest in peace sweet Niko.

Carol G
07-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Bettina,

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you.

Carol, Atty Cat & always Winnie & McGill

labblab
07-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Dear Bettina,

I join all the others in expressing my sorrow over the loss of your beloved boy. No matter how much time we are granted together, the end of the physical connection comes far too quickly and leaves such a painful emptiness in its wake. But I hope that Niko's spirit will always remain with you, and comfort you in the days to come.

Please do return and post on "In Loving Memory." That will permit us all to join you in celebrating Niko's life and in honorinng his memory.

Until that time, many (((hugs))) to sustain you in your loss,
Marianne (forever Barkis' mom and Peg's and Luna's mom)

Wylie's Mom
07-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Dear Bettina,

I am so sorry to hear about sweet Niko... you are so blessed to have had him as long as you did, and him for having you. My thoughts are with you.

Godspeed Niko.

(((Hugs)))
-Susy & Wylie

Truffa's Mom
07-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Dear Bettina

I am so sorry for your loss, my heart and prayers go out to you and your family. What a sweet goodbye you gave to your baby. I will lit a special candle tonight for him and my babies will receive a tender kiss on his honor. I just hope that his spirit will keep you strong during your healing time and that you come her often to help you mend your broken heart.

Rest in peace sweet Niko

StarDeb55
07-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Bettina, we were waiting for you to post before we moved Niko's farewell thread to the In Loving Memory forum. Please continue to let us know how you are doing as we remember Niko.

Debbie

zoesmom
07-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Bettina -
My heart goes out to you. It never matters how long we have them, they still always leave us too soon. I hope you'll continue to post. RIP Niko. Sue/Zoe

mytil
07-18-2009, 06:37 AM
Dear Bettina,

I too am very saddened to read about the passing of Niko. Your life together filled with such devotion is a testament to your tremendous love and bond. This bond will never, ever be broken.

Sending healing ((((((hugs))))) to you
and always in remembrance of your sweet Niko,
Terry

sunimist
07-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Dear Bettina,

Though I didn't have the privilege of knowing you I do know what a terribly sad and overwhelming emotional experience it is to lose a precious little loved one. You and your sweet Niko are in my thoughts and prayers.

Shelba

ladysmom06
07-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Bettina,

My deepest sympathy to you on the loss of Niko. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

nikkismom
07-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Bettina, I am sorry you had to go through this, but you did it in the perfect way at the perfect time.I know you will miss Niko terribly but am sure you have so many wonderful memories that will comfort you later on. I will be thinking of you. Sharon

Bailey's Mom
07-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Bettina,

I am so sorry for your loss. I too had to make that decision with a prior dog. I know how painful that is. You did what was right; you did what was best.

My thoughts are with you.

-Susan

Dollydog
07-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Bettina,
I am so sorry to hear of Niko's passing. I've just been going back through your threads here to remind myself of your journey together. I too know the devotion involved in caring for a dog that can't be left alone because of multiple health issues.
Please take good care of yourself at this time and come back to let us know how you're making out with this new stage in your life.
Hugs,
Jo-Ann & Lady

ChristyA
07-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Bettina,
I am sorry for your loss. I remember Niko's story and I know you did all you could for him.
Christy

hfurlotte
07-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Bettina,
Sorry to hear of Niko's passing. The prayer you posted in one that I have on my fridge when we lost our beloved Calvin (in 2003 of pancreatic cancer) I read it everyday. Losing a beloved member of our family is extremely difficult but as the tears fade the memories and laughter will return. Niko will no doubt be smiling down on you.
Hugs always,
Heather and Zoe Claire

forscooter
07-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Bettina,

I am sorry I am getting to this so late, but I wanted to add my deepest sympathy on the loss of Niko. I understand the pain, and I send my sincerest wishes that you will find peace soon in knowing you provided the best in love and care.

Hugs, Beth, Bailey and always Scooter

lleigh
07-20-2009, 06:56 AM
I am so sorry to hear the news about Niko. We never have enough time with them but how very blessed you were to have had 16 1/2 years together.

Rest in peace Niko. You will have lots of good company at the Bridge. Mine is the one with the big stick in her mouth.

"So when tomorrow starts without me,
Don't think we're far apart
For every time you think of me,
I'm right there, in your heart."

Lyn

bkdice
07-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the support during my time here. I hope I can return the favor for some other cush pup moms and dads. Here is the tribute I put together for my boy.

16 years ago, my mom picked me up after school and we drove to the Fairfax County Animal Shelter to see if the little 4 month old male dog I had fallen in love with 6 days prior (#02000) was still available. At the shelter, I ran to his cage and he was gone. Heartbroken I looked around and located him in another cage. There was a sign that read 'adopted - hold until 4:00'. I couldn't help but begin to cry. How could it be that this little boy - so certain he was my soul mate - had been adopted. It just wasn't right. My mom then handed me the leash and said 'he's yours'. She had stopped at the shelter in the morning and adopted him for me.

Niko was the first dog that picked me right back. We were bonded from the beginning. He was a very emotionally intuitive dog. He knew when I was sad, mad, happy, without me even showing any signs of it. When I would cry, he would come over and nudge me to stop. When I was angry, he'd put a paw on me and try to divert my attention to his eyes. If I roughhoused with a friend, he would jump in to 'protect' me. He 'spoke' to me all the time.

He was a smart boy too... he learned tricks with just minutes of training. He could sit, lay down, shake, play dead, crawl, and beg. He loved his walks, he loved to sniff, and he loved to swim. He loved to race me up from the barn. He loved to play tug of war. He just loved life.

When Niko's health issues got hard to handle in 2008 (cushings, followed by lymphoma a few months later), the least I could do was care for him as he always cared for me. We got another year and a quarter after the cushings dx. He enjoyed walking a mile plus every evening until 6 days before he passed. I will miss that so much.... among many other things.

I'm thankful I got to spend over 16 years loving such an amazing being. However, it wasn't enough. You cannot put a time limit on love like that. While I'm sure I will love other dogs in my lifetime, I know there will never be another Niko. He was my heart dog. He was.... my heart.

Niko touched a lot of lives. The response to his death has been overwhelming and heartwarming. To know him, was to know how special he was. Below you will find a link to a gallery I put together of some pictures over the years. I also have a link to some video clips I uploaded, followed by a poem I wrote for him and donation info if interested.

Gallery: http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=19iajubf.9sw73eaf&x=0&y=k20u9&localeid=en_US

Videos:
Niko Sneeze July 2009 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1HD4cmZ3zY
Walking on a Windy Feb day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FPiwwk_ovU
Snow in 2007 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYv4-iZGxqQ
Camera Schniff in 2006 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rB80r8zK_8
Niko Bark 2006 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcv8aWOI6Ow
Niko following me 2007 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDe8qihOPg8
Niko's muse 2008 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-vy_nZBGOA
Happy Boy Feb 2009 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzdB6gcOVUo and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3bvtjjfTEU

It hurts to be the one
That had to make the choice
Your life rested in my hands
I had to be your voice

I hope you will forgive me
I had to sever the tie
I knew you wouldn’t leave me
You would never say goodbye

Our bond will never be broken
I told you many times
Even though you’re gone
Your light forever shines

Until we are together again
I will miss you so much my friend
I know I will go on for now
Until my days here come to an end

And when I leave this earth
I have you to look forward to
I will again get to embrace
My love that is so true

I made a donation in Niko's honor to the Magic Bullet Fund. It helps people that could other wise not afford to pay for their dog's chemo treatments. http://www.themagicbulletfund.org/

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u225/bkdice/niko-line.jpg

Bettina

lucygoo
07-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Bettina,
Thank you so much for posting all the wonderful photos and video of Niko. I really enjoyed them. And what a beautiful, beautiful boy he was; and what a great life he had with you! I'm so sorry for your loss..I know it's a huge one.

Take care,
Gina and Lucy

mytil
07-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Oh Bettina,

Thank for posting that wonderful tribute to Niko - it was heartwarming, I found myself crying and smiling too. Those photos are wonderful and your tribute poem really hits home.

Please stay with us.

My continued (((((((hugs))))))) and always in memory of your soul-doggie, Niko.
Terry

Harley PoMMom
07-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Bettina,

The poem you wrote was beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes as I read it. A donation in Niko's honor to the Magic Bullet Fund, what a wonderful tribute to such an amazing furry fellow. All of your pictures of Niko are just breathtaking, thank you so much for sharing the pictures and the videos with us. I especially liked the video of Niko sneezing...it took him awhile to get it out...it was so cute.

Remember we are always here for you.
Hugs.
Lori

Bailey's Mom
07-21-2009, 02:18 AM
Wonderful pictures...........and the sneeze!! Nice that you have such a collection. I put together a collage for each year of my dog's life-the one before Palmer. Just a thought.

-Susan

fivebichons
07-29-2009, 11:41 PM
Dear Bettina,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I know the grief that you are feeling. I wish there was something I could do or say, but I know there is not.

Thank you so much for sharing your links with us. How precious they are.

It is beautiful to see that there are other organizations out there now helping people (ie people no longer having to give up their pets to rescue because they can't afford the surgery), etc. That was always grievance of mine.

Hugs to you.
Heidi, Robin, Marco & Sophie
...Friskie, Lucky, Cheri & Snicky from Heaven...

I made a donation in Niko's honor to the Magic Bullet Fund. It helps people that could other wise not afford to pay for their dog's chemo treatments. http://www.themagicbulletfund.org/

Miko's Mom
07-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Bettina, I am so sorry to see Niko has crossed the bridge. Your response of course makes me cry but I do thank you so much for posting The Last Battle. I had read that before but had not seen it since Miko crossed the bridge in April. It is a beautiful tribute to those of thus that have to make that painful decision. Now Miko and Niko are together. Godspeed Niko. Christine

labblab
08-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Dear Bettina,

I just had the impulse today to view your sweet photos of Niko once again. What a handsome boy, and what a dear companion. I see that it has now been a little over a month since you released him. Perhaps such a long time in some ways, perhaps such a short time in others. But probably not one moment of one day that there has not been a part of you that has been missing him so deeply. :o

Although it does not change your pain, I am so grateful that we can help you to remember your sweet boy, and that we can help you to honor all that he has meant to you -- and will continue to mean to you. He will never be forgotten, and your love for one another will never end.

With warm ((hugs)) today, always in loving memory of your Niko ~
Marianne (forever Barkis' mom and Peg's and Luna's mom)

bkdice
04-05-2010, 10:52 PM
This month will bring us to the 9 month mark (on the 16th). It is also the anniversary (4/22) of the day we adopted Niko, 17 years ago.

When we buried him, we planted a weeping cherry tree. It is blooming.... Below are pics from Saturday and today. What a strong little tree.... It survived such a harsh winter, all that snow, and never needed so much as a support tie. I can tell someone special is watching over it.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u225/bkdice/tree-for-web.jpg

http://rememberingniko.wordpress.com/

Dollydog
04-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Bettina, the tree is beautiful and what a little toughy it is!! I hope it continues to grow and blossom in memory of your Niko....another of life's toughys.
Take care and thanks for posting the pictures,
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel :)

BestBuddy
04-06-2010, 04:02 AM
What a beautiful strong tree. It is a fitting memorial and I hope it brings smiles to you and your family every time you see it.

Jenny

mytil
04-06-2010, 07:03 AM
I think some one is watching over it too. What a very beautiful little tree. Thank you so much for sharing these!

Always in loving memory of sweetie pie Niko.
Terry

labblab
04-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Bettina, I've just visited the link to your memorial site for Niko, and I am overwhelmed with tears and emotion. Reading the entire story of the weeping cherry and how Niko was laid to rest there...the tears just do not stop. I can only imagine how much the beautiful blooms of Niko's little tree must mean to you, this first spring without him physically alongside you.

Your memorial site is magnificent. A living tribute to your love for Niko, and a source of support and inspiration to others who are also struggling with loss. Bettina, my heart goes out to you. And I am going right now to light a candle for your beautiful boy.

With my (((hugs))) and great gratitude to you for sharing your journey with us ~
Marianne

forscooter
04-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Bettina,

I just went to the site for Niko and all I can think to say is, "INCREDIBLE!"....I am seldom without words as we all know :rolleyes: but the site is just so complete, so beautiful, so inspirational, such an amazing tribute to Niko, I am left (mostly) speechless. I am sure others will benefit from Niko's story, from beginning to end, as we all have here....his legacy is fitting for the magnificent boy he will always be.

The tree is very beautiful and I hope a gentle reminder when you need it that life does bloom again...in different ways maybe than what we want...but it does. I have planted two rose bushes called "Heaven on Earth", one for each my boys and am anticipating seeing them come to life...they will be my reminders that although I cannot see them, they are always and forever with me too.

Thank you too, for your support yesterday with my two month mark...it meant a lot to me. For some reason, it hit me the hardest so far...and I know there are many more to come.

But as we traveled this path through Cushing's together, I will always travel this path with you too...and we will find our way through this together.

Lots of love and hugs, Beth, and always my bad angel boys

January
04-08-2010, 12:05 PM
The tree is lovely, as is it's story. What a wonderful tribute to a great dog. Thank you so much for posting them.
January and Serena

Harley PoMMom
04-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Bettina,

I've visited your memorial site for Niko quite a few times now, and I wish I could find the proper words to describe how beautiful the tribute to your precious boy, Niko, is. You have done an amazing job.

Love and hugs,
Lori

bkdice
04-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Jo-Ann, Jenny, Terry, and January - Thank you all so much for your kind words. I genuinely appreciate them.

Marianne, Beth, and Lori - your words about Niko's site mean so much to me. I cannot even express my gratitude.... thank you.....

Bettina

clydetheboosmom
04-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Bettina -

I am so very sorry for your loss. Please know I am thinking of you and sending you my condolences.

Lynne, Clyde & Bailey

Bichonluver3
05-30-2010, 02:36 PM
What a beautiful dog and what a strong, incredible mom. God bless you both. Our hearts and prayers are with you.
Love,
Carrol & Chloe

fivebichons
05-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Bettina,

Your memorial to Niko is absolutely beautiful. I can't imagine what it looks like from Heaven. Hugs and prayers from all of us.

Heidi & Robin
Marco, Sophie, Sasha & Maggie
...Friskie, Lucky, Cheri and Snicky from Heaven...

bkdice
06-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Thank you Heidi, Carrol, and Lynne.

45 days from the 1 year mark.....

bkdice
07-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Today marks a year since Niko came out of remission. The next 17 days will be hard milestones.
On July 11th it will be 1 year since the vet told us we had only days left.
On July 16th, it will be 1 year since I had to let my boy go.
He was laid to rest on the 17th.

I took off work on the 16th. Not sure yet what I'm going to do yet, but I may take a walk to Scotts Run to a pool of water deep in the woods, under a small waterfall, where Niko liked to swim when he was young. I want something that reminds me of how full of life and happiness he was. When you lose an older dog, it can be hard to remember them as young... at least for me.

I set out a few weeks ago to raise money for a charity (The Magic Bullet Fund) in honor of Niko, and have since exceeded my goal, so I feel that was a good way to memorialize him and help others that want more time with their babies. Nothing like the gift of time.

Below is a little poem I wrote to him a few weeks back.

I never want to forget the sound of your sneeze
Or the way your nose would take in the breeze

I want to remember your touch and your smell
The color of your coat where the sun would dwell

The rogue whisker that curled the other way
The tug of war that you loved to play

Your tail, your flag, that you carried so proud
When I’d say “who’s that”, how you’d bark out loud

Your annoyance when the snow would clump in your feet
The way you’d hop off the curb to cross the street

How quickly you would pick up a new trick
And how my face was the only one you would lick

The patches of pink that freckled your lips
All these things are just little blips

I watched how the years turned your orange face white
And how time slowly fogged up your sight

I watched your whole life slow down in front of me
Though I remember your spirit always being so free

You were never sad, you never did frown
No matter what you were faced with you never backed down

You always were my brave boy, my Roo
I was so proud of you, I hope you knew

Thanks for listening....

Bettina :o

Dollydog
07-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Oh Bettina, that is a beautiful poem and the money is a wonderful tribute to Niko and your life with him.
I too have been remembering the years when Lady was full of life and very healthy. And Victoria is helping with that....I take her to our favorite spots and remember the past. She and I are making new memories in our walks around town.
Hoping that the 16th is full of wonderful memories for you,
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel & Victoria

mytil
07-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Really big (((((hugs))))) coming your way Bettina!

Always In Loving Memory of your sweet boy.
Terry

sunimist
07-01-2010, 09:40 AM
What a beautiful poem and tribute for your sweet Niko. My heart goes out to you as that 1 year mark approaches.
As my darling little grandaughter said about her brother Brian...

"You don't get over it, you just get through it. You don't get by it because you can't get around it. It doesn't 'get better', it just gets different. Everyday... Grief puts on a new face."
I think this applies to all of our lost loved ones, both human and pets.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Shelba and Suni

Roxee's Dad
07-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Dear Bettina,
Thanks for sharing that wonderful poem and tribute to your Roo and for allowing us to share in your memories.

(((HUGS)))

Squirt's Mom
07-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Dear Bettina,

What a lovely tribute to your sweet Roo and a wonderful way to honor him with the fund.

My tears flow with yours as you face the coming days but always remember he is still with you, loving you as much as ever. One day we will cover our babies faces with kisses again.

Huge hugs!
Leslie and the girls - always

labblab
07-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Bettina, so many hugs to you from me, too. I hope that you will indeed be able to take your walk to Niko's forest pool on the 16th. It sounds like such a special sanctuary. I will also hope that perhaps Spirit Niko will be able to join you there, as your memories take life and your heart fills with love.

These coming days will be so bittersweet. Please return to us at any time, to share both the good parts and the hard parts.

Always in loving memory of your beautiful boy,
Marianne

Harley PoMMom
07-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Oh Bettina,

Big hugs from me too, and what a beautiful poem you wrote about your Roo. My heart goes out to you as you face these very hard milestones.

The words that Shelba's grandaughter said are very true, aren't they?

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs,
Lori

SavingSimon
07-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Dear Bettina,

Your beloved Niko is the first to go since I have joined here and I am sitting here just crying for you and your loss. The poem is so beautiful - when you are up to writing, I would love to know who wrote it, maybe it is there and I need to read again - I couldn't see past the tears. I am mourning with you, and see that such strong dogs like Niko always have strong owners. I believe with all my heart you will see your sweet one again and that she waits for you now in a place with no pain, where she feels like a puppy again. But I know there are no words that can help right now, and I am just a stranger, a little surprised myself at how deeply I feel that I share your loss and pain. God bless you, and may He comfort you in this sad, sad time.
Much love, and prayers.
Dena and Simon and pack

mytil
07-02-2010, 06:03 AM
Your tribute to Roo had the tears rolling Bettina. Those wonderful memories and happy times. Your Roo is your soul doggie.

I love his his wonderful smile (http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/album.php?albumid=21&pictureid=642) here.

Terry

fivebichons
07-14-2010, 12:50 AM
Dear Bettina,

What a beautiful poem. It brought me to tears. I think we can all relate to a line or two. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Special hugs for the both of you.

Heidi
Marco, Sophie, Sasha & Maggie
...and Friskie, Lucky, Cheri and Snicky from Heaven...

bkdice
07-14-2010, 11:09 AM
thanks for the additional kind words. i've had my ups and downs this month so far, but have tried to stay as positive as i can. i have the entire day planned out on the 16th that will include a hike, in his honor, lunch with friends, a visit to his grave (at my parent's house) and dinner with my family (at my parent's house). we'll close the night with a walk including my sister's dog and my mom's dog. :) i'll post some pictures of niko's old stomping grounds and his beautiful cherry tree, over the weekend.

much love to you all......

labblab
07-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Bettina, I'm going to be away from home (and my computer) on the 16th, so I won't have the chance to post to you then. So I wanted to stop by today to let you know that I'll still be thinking of both you and your beautiful boy. I surely hope you will feel the presence of his sweet spirit right alongside you on Friday (and every day...).

Many (((hugs))) to you, always in loving memory of your Niko ~
Marianne

littleone1
07-14-2010, 12:15 PM
This is such a wonderful tribute to Niko, Bettina. You are in my thoughts. I'm glad that you are keeping positive thoughts, even though I know it's not easy to do.

Squirt's Mom
07-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Peace to you, my friend, as you hike the realm of your memories. I hope you are surrounded by signs from Niko, filling your soul with love and promise.

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls - always

Roxee's Dad
07-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Dear Bettina,
Special thoughts for you and Niko today.

((((HUGS))))

Harley PoMMom
07-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Dearest Bettina,

Thinking of you and Niko...big hugs to you.

Love and more hugs,
Lori

corgipallie
07-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Lots of special hugs today with love.

bkdice
07-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Hello everyone. I just wanted to share the events of Niko's angel anniversary with you all. I really wanted to stay positive throughout these days and remember my boy as he really was, not as the dog who's body wouldn't allow him to stay. Not to say I didn't cry, but I managed to keep myself from drowning in despair over how difficult it was to let him go.

I woke up on Friday morning to a flower delivery from a very special friend from my Lymphoma Heart Dog Angel list. Much better way to start the day than a year ago!!

I met my hubby at Scott's Run in Great Falls at 11 as planned. (I took Niko there when he was younger. He loved it.) Not only did I want to remember how much he loved our adventures, but I wanted my husband to see the kinds of things Niko and I enjoyed in his early years. My husband never knew Niko as a young dog, unfortunately.

I knew it was not an easy trail to the waterfall, but I had forgotten how hard the end of it is. Straight up, and then straight down over rocks, to get to the falls. Hubby was shocked the Niko could have managed, but I told him Niko always did great! He was much more sure footed than me! We spent some times at the falls and took some pics HERE (share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AYtGrdo1bsmLCgA). I even did a blend of a picture (link here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QdFMScWIZ0)) of Niko from June 1995 to me on 7/16/10.

We headed to my parent's house for dinner. I brought Niko some red roses for his grave. His weeping cherry tree looks great! (pics also in the link above).

A few months ago I decided to see if I could raise $500 for the Magic Bullet Fund in Niko's honor. I set up a donation page for him and manged to raise $1000 through that page, plus another little bit from friends donating direct to the MBF. :)

So I made it through the first anniversary. Not a moment goes by that I don't miss him. I ache for him and life will be a little less colorful as long as he's not in it, but I know he's with me.

Sorry this is SO LONG..... Much love to you all for your support and thoughtfulness.

Bailey's Mom
07-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Dear Bettina-

I just looked at your pictures. I grew up in Bethesda, so I know the falls well.

I'm glad you had a special day to honor Niko. If we never loved, there would be no tears. Rinse out those tear ducts!

Best wishes to you.

-Susan

Casey's Mom
07-20-2010, 05:53 AM
What a beautiful tribute to your boy Niko. I am glad that it wasn't too sad a day. You honoured him in a very special way with a beautiful tribute. I love your stories about Niko and read them all the time by the way.

Love and many hugs,