PDA

View Full Version : For the home groomer

Roxee's Dad
06-23-2009, 03:01 PM
I have been reading a few post about nail trimming.

So I am going to recommend you visit this site and view what I use to do legs, paws and nails for problematic pups and geriatric or specail needs pups. I guess I consider problematic pups also as special needs.:)

Nail trimming , legs, and paws:
Support Sling (40 to 50 dollars)

It humanely hold the pup and you can hang it high enough that his or her paws are off the ground. Most pups will settle down as when their feet are off the floor, they no longer feel in control. I have some clients that actually fall asleep in this sling and some that think they need to swim. :) My favorite tool for nail trimming of difficult pups.

For older pups with arthritis or hip problems that I need to stand for more than a few minutes:
Geri support straps

I don't care to use a muzzle and I find this works pretty well and it is kind of a muzzle but keeps their head and shoulders from moving around too much:
Head supports

You will find these and other more humane products at this website. For basic nail and paw care, I highly recomend the Support Sling.

Now if you are handy or have a handy spouse or Significant Other or even a handy friend, (trying to be politically correct here) you won't need to purchase the stainless steel post at the bottom of the page, it's pricey. You can go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up threaded pipe which come in various lengths and threaded elbows and peice together a stand that you can hang the Support Sling to on a plywood or sturdy old table of some sort.

http://www.clippervac.com/petvest.htm

If you have any questions or need any help, feel free to pm me.

Squirt's Mom
06-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks, John!

Too bad you don't travel as far as Memphis! :D

Hugs,
Leslie

BestBuddy
06-23-2009, 05:30 PM
John,

I wish you were here in Australia.:D
To save stress (and dollars) I usually do the clipping at home. I have a fairly good set of clippers and I now that I need to keep the blades sharp and different coats need different blades.

I must say that after I have finished and it takes me hours to do one dog that the finished product isn't perfect BUT they say the difference between a good and a bad haircut is two weeks.:D

Jenny