PDA

View Full Version : What causes Cushing's?

LittleArfinAnnie
09-28-2016, 07:56 AM
Hello, everyone . . .

I have a quick question that I can't seem to find any answers for on the Web.

My beloved, little Annie, who died four weeks ago today from complications of Cushing's Disease, was diagnosed with the pituitary kind.

What causes the pituitary gland to develop those benign, occasionally microscopic tumours in the first place ? Are they born with them ? Like ticking time bombs just waiting to go off ? Have any environmental triggers been singled out ?

Has a genetic cause been identified ?

The reason I ask is because the "literature" repeatedly mentions that Cushing's Disease tends to occur with greater frequency in certain breeds.

I also wonder because I plan to get another miniature Dachshund puppy in either the spring or summer of next year.

The thought of possibly having to deal with another Cush pup down the road is almost unbearable, particularly now as my grief is so fresh.

This disease is just TOO common.

Is there any way that responsible breeders can control for it in their bloodlines ?

And if so, what questions should I be asking when the time comes for me to visit that new litter ?

I apologize for so many questions. I'm just trying to make sense of what happened to Annie. I was SO watchful for typical Dachshund medical concerns, like disc and back issues . . . Cushing's Disease blindsided me completely.

labblab
09-28-2016, 08:28 AM
Hi Catherine! You'll see that I've moved your new thread and also revised the title. This is because we like to reserve the main discussion forum for conversations about specific dogs. For more general questions, this seems to be the better location. ;)

I'll take my own stab at answering your question, since it will be easy and quite short. I'm unaware of any research that has identified a root cause for the development of pituitary tumors, nor any genetic link.

It's interesting to me that you've found reference made to certain breeds being more vulnerable to the disease. Could you give us some specific citations? I have not kept any tabulation, but over my twelve years on this forum I cannot say that I've seen any pattern myself, with virtually every breed represented. Also, I've seen no greater frequency among purebred vs. mixed breed dogs. My own Cushpup was a purebred Lab from a professional breeder, so she kept meticulous records and could tell me that Barkis was her first and only known diagnosed Cushing's dog.

The one breed "vulnerability" about which I've indeed seen speculation is that pituitary tumors, when present, are more likely to produce neurological issues for dogs with flat faces, such as boxers, Bulldogs, pugs, and Boston Terriers. This is due to the configuration of the skull and brain case.

Anyway, as far as I know, Cushing's is one of those things that cannot yet be predicted or avoided.

Marianne

LittleArfinAnnie
09-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Hi, Marianne . . .

Thanks so much for your quick reply !

Sorry for posting this thread in the wrong area, too.

I'll do a bit of Web sleuthing later on today and post the links to the sites that mentioned the prevalence of Cushing's in specific breeds.

Unfortunately, Dachshunds seem to be over-represented.

I, too, called Annie's breeder the very day after she died.

Like you, she said that she has never had a Cush pup in all her years of breeding and championship showing, either.

That was one "lottery" that I didn't want to win, let me tell you !

Thanks again, hon . . .