PDA

View Full Version : This is Chuckles the Shih Tzu.

Roxee's Dad
06-20-2009, 07:09 PM
This is Chuckie, short for Chuckles. A Shih-Tzu I first met last Oct at Furry Friends Rescue, he was brought to the rescue by an ASPCA member because he was rescued from a Puppy Mill. He was having numerous seizures and his body was covered in dried feces. He had no hair from about the waist down including his tail. He lived in a wire bottom cage for the first years of his life. Here in TN, if you are running a puppy mill and you are busted and you refuse to give up the canines, you are responsible for any medical conditions and resulting vet bills. The Puppy Mill gave up Chuckie and many others.

When I first met him, I bathed him and just fell in love with him. I told Marian the nice lady that manages the rescue that he is just going to make some family a real nice companion. He is just so darn cute. I was so tempted to take him home and was all I could do to prevent myself from doing so. Guess that was lucky for Lil’bit. (For those of you that know LilBit’s story)

A local family adopted Chuckie for their 11-year-old son. Marian recommended that they call me to groom him, as I was the only compassionate groomer she knew and had equipment and experience with special needs pups including Chuckie. So they did call me and I was so happy to see Chuckie again:D. What a sweetheart he is. He is still very timid and very afraid but after grooming him on a monthly basis, he is starting to know that I would never hurt him. I made them a real special deal in hopes that I would be able to keep an eye on him forever.

When I first met the father, he was a typical guy, “yeah, we got Conner (his son) a dog, I hope it works out for him” Arhh, arhh, etc, etc, etc…. Well by the second month, the mommy told me that Chuckie had become daddy’s companion. Every month after that, the daddy was always there to tell me how great Chuckie is and would address any concerns he had. Haircut, heat, cold, food etc….

When they went on a long holiday, they left Chuckie with the rescue but upon there return, Chuckie had diarrhea and was not feeling too well, Can’t really blame the rescue as it is hard to control these kinds of things when you have 30 to 40 special needs pups running around.

So they wanted to take another long weekend and asked me if I knew a good place to leave Chuckie for 3 days. I personally visit Doggy care centers so I can recommend what I think is a good one. Explained all the details of social playtime, and time spent in the kennel vs. time spent out playing and socializing.

Well when I mentioned kennel, his eyes started to well up and he said knowing where Chuckie came from, he would never ever have him in a cage of any kind again. So what could I do, I love this little guy so much I told the daddy that we would take care of him while they were away. Boy did his eyes light up and a big smile appeared on his face. He knew too well how much I love his little companion and I felt the same way.

I’ve read many stories and there was one published by another member, maybe on the old site that went on to say how this pup in a shelter went on to rescue a human. Chuckie is one of those. He rescued this man, now known as his daddy. When Chuckie had a seizure, the mommy was calling the vet but at the same time, the daddy was calling 911 and asking the police for help. To see this tough guy get on the floor and just cuddle with little Chuckie just warms my heart. Another human rescued.

BTW - That was the only seizure he has had since he has been on a nutrious diet and in a loving environment. We keep our fingers and paws crossed.

Well this was the weekend we had with Chuckie. :D:D He got along just fine with my other four pups. Only exception, he is a marker, most probably not his fault as he was the stud for a number of years at the puppy mill thereby you will see the Pupster male wrap in one of the pics. Works very well.

Here is a link to his picture’s, notice the spayed toes from living on a cage floor for years. He is a real darling. His Groomer Godfather will be watching over him. I just love him to pieces.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/album.php?albumid=28&pictureid=509

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=28&pictureid=510

StarDeb55
06-20-2009, 07:16 PM
John, what a boy! Love that sly little look Chuckie is gving the camera.

From one Shih Tzu lover to another,
Deb

Squirt's Mom
06-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Hi John,

What a wonderful, heart-warming story! That a pup from such horrible circumstances could melt his new daddy's heart so completely!

You are a special guy, John, and Chuckie has figured that out! He is blessed not only to have his new family but to have you as well.

Thanks so much for sharing this...just what I needed today!

Hugs,
Leslie

Harley PoMMom
06-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Hi John,

What a lovely and touching story.

So glad Chuckles found a loving home and you, for you are indeed a very special person.

Thanks for sharing the story with us, now for us new members, whats the story with Lil'bit? If you want to share it. Just curious.

Hugs to all,
Lori and Harley

Roxee's Dad
06-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Hi Lori,

Thanks for sharing the story with us, now for us new members, whats the story with Lil'bit? If you want to share it. Just curious.

Hugs to all,
Lori and Harley

Little Bit? About a week before Easter we had about 8 to 10 inches of snow here in Middle TN. The neighbors dogs are outdoor dogs and my wife saw them chasing a puppy from in front of our house. (We live in the country) So she had to tell me to go find this poor puppy that is lost in the snow. I got dressed and jumped into her SUV and tried following the tracks. Bockles, the big dog next store seemed to know I was looking for this puppy and pretty much led me to the right path or road. I drove in the tire ruts of the vehicle before me and low and behold was this puppy comming at me in the tire ruts as the snow was higher than she was.

Jumped out of the car and she came right to me. Turns out she wasn't a puppy but an approx 3 year old Pugle (Pug Beagle X) designer dog that always looks like a puppy. I put her in my mobil grooming van, bathed her and tended to her raw pads as she must have been walking for days and it was a miracle she wasn't dinner for the coyotes. I let her sleep in my nice warm van for a few hours to get some well needed rest before introducing her to the rest of the gang.

We put signs up as we were so sure someone would be looking for her. After a few days I changed the signs to read, found small female dog, you don't deserve to have her back. We worked with a rescue to find her a home but a few days later when we realized that she fit in so well with our other furKids, it seemed like she was always with us, we decided to keep her. She is a cutie and loves to be loved, and she is a poser. Her pic is in my gallery. http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=28&pictureid=225

So basically I believe Chuckie found a good family because the daddy needed to be rescued and Little Bit was meant to be with us. :) I believe stuff happens for a reason, sometimes I don't understand it but there must be a reason.

Harley PoMMom
06-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Hi John,

Thank you so much for sharing Little Bit's story. I really enjoyed reading it. She sure is a sweety.

You are the "Dog Whisperer," our very own Cesar Milan here on the forum!

God Bless You, John.

Lori

BestBuddy
06-21-2009, 04:31 PM
John,

I loved hearing about Chuckie and Lil Bit. I also believe that it is the dogs who save us, I am one of the rescued.:D

Jenny

lulusmom
06-21-2009, 06:20 PM
John,

Thank you so much for your lovely posts. They made me cry. Chuckles and our beloved Mabel not only look alike, they both suffered greatly at the hands of idiots. Mabel is just one of many, many furballs that have enriched my life, so I think I am actually more of a rescuee than a rescuer. :D

Glynda

Roxee's Dad
06-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Well, Chuckie went home last night:(:(:( It made me sad and happy. Happy because he was soooo happy to see his family come in the door. Sad just because I will miss him until our next grooming. The Daddy called this morning to let us know he was doing just fine and ate like a horse when he got home.:D:D:D

Also to let us know that they are going to get Chuckie a playmate since he got along so well with our 4. Now there's a human rescue story. This is a family that never had a pet, going to the rescue and getting Chuckie, had no idea of how to take care of a pet (They asked me to show them how to give Chuckie a bath which I gladly did) to now wanting a second pup all within a matter of 6 months.

Ahhhhh....another human family recued:D This was part of Chuckie's master plan. It must be that P-mail network that Wylie's Mom (Suzy) was talking about. :)

mytil
06-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Wow now I am really crying John - what incredibly wonderful, heartwarming stories of Chuckie and Lil'bit. They both have found their homes. And I truly believe too they do rescue us - all my girls have rescued me and my hubby for sure.

Thank you for sharing these stories.
Terry

StarDeb55
06-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Another canine success story on how the dogs save the stupid humans from themselves!

Debbie

SaxLady
06-22-2009, 10:29 PM
What wonderful stories! Those dogs are absolutely adorable! It's refreshing to hear good news. There are so many animals that need to be rescued and be given a loving home.
Candy

Roxee's Dad
08-22-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm doggy sitting Chuckie again this weekend. He always brings a smile to my face and helps to uplift my spirits. He has now learned to bark, but very politely. He follows our Mickee around everywhere like he's his hero or something and is now playing with toys.

I think he has learned to be a dog. :D:D:D His groomer godfather is so proud of him.:D:D:D

Harley PoMMom
08-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Awww John that's great that Chuckie has come back for a visit.

And it is so wonderful of you to do so...I know you are his Groomer Godfather, but still, some people would not take that responsibility to heart, but then...you aren't like some people, and you most definitely have a loving heart. So many humans and furbabies have had their lives enriched because of knowing you.

Now for some questions...Is he still seizure-free? Does Chuckie still have to wear the Pupster male wraps? And is he still "Daddy's boy," bc originally he was adopted for their 11-year-old son, Conner. I know, I know, I'm a pain in the butt...always have questions. :D

Well enjoy your time with Chuckie and have a great weekend.

Love and hugs.
Lori

Roxee's Dad
08-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi Lori,

Now for some questions...Is he still seizure-free?

He has slight seizures during thunder storms.:(:(:(

Does Chuckie still have to wear the Pupster male wraps?

Yes:(:(:(:(, he is a marker and with 3 other dogs here, he wants to make sure he claims his territory, but very politely.

And is he still "Daddy's boy," bc originally he was adopted for their 11-year-old son, Conner.

Oh Yeah :D:D:D, Daddy just had knee replacement surgery and he still works thru the pain to get on the floor with his Chucky. :D

I know, I know, I'm a pain in the butt...

Not at all :):):)

MiniSchnauzerMom
08-22-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm glad "the Groomer Godfather" gets to Chuckie-sit again. Does that mean that maybe we'll get another picture in the gallery????

Louise

Roxee's Dad
08-23-2009, 10:24 AM
:mad:OMG Chuckie just had a seizure. I had tears of happiness this morning when I was watching Chuckie play with Rozee and both of them decided to chase little Bit around the yard. He was so happy and this is the first time I saw Rozee so happy since she lost her sister. Then they all came in the house and had breakfast. Chuckie wasn't hungry. Then he and Rozee were laying on the ottoman at my feet while I was on line here and Chuckie stiffened up and fell over.

My heart sank.:( Placed ice on his lower back and petted him. He finally came out it. Seems to be okay now. Took him outside, peed and pooped and is now laying down. Now I have tears of sadness that I have witnessed a seizure in a dog. I am now running over to the rescue and pick up some valium in case he has another.:(

-Just got back. was instructed to give him a quarter pill every 2 hours. This sucks, Chuckie doesn't deserve this. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Squirt's Mom
08-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Oh, poor Chuckles. :( and poor John! :(:( I can only imagine how scary that was to see. Even when you know it's a possibility, that has got to be tough to watch. geez, I'd feel so helpless! I'm glad you got some valium from the rescue...that is great!

Chuckie is so lucky to have such a wonderful "groomer god-father" in his life and by his side today!

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls