PDA

View Full Version : Miss Peggotty

labblab
07-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Hello sweetheart. I think it's time for me to come and write this note to you. It did not feel right to do it earlier, maybe because I had not yet accepted in my heart that you were not coming home again. During those first couple of weeks you could have been boarded somewhere, or staying with Grandmother, or just someplace. But now it's too long. You should have been home by now. But you're not, and I miss you terribly. Right now, I miss you more each day instead of less. I know the tide will turn again at some point. But today is the day I am missing you so much and I want to tell everybody what a good and wonderful dog you were in the hope that it will ease the ache in my heart.

We brought you home just three months after Barkis died. We didn't expect to have another puppy so soon, but in a way, you picked us and you came to heal our broken hearts. Barkis was named after "Mr. Barkis" who was a character in the book, David Copperfield. When he died, my grief felt endless. I couldn't even bear to look at other yellow Lab boys, because I was searching all their faces for his eyes and his smile. Your dad and I decided that when the time might come that we were ready for another puppy, we would hunt for a black girl -- somebody totally different -- so that we would not be comparing, and so that our new puppy would have a life all her own. I won't bore everybody with the details as to how we first met you and how you came to be ours rather unexpectedly. All that matters is that you did, and the day you walked into our home was the first day that I did not cry for Barkis. I knew you needed me to take care of you, and our life together began. Daddy and I named you "Miss Peggotty" after the book's character who married Mr. Barkis. Very few people knew that was your "real" name and you were simply "Peg" to the rest of the world. But you were always Peggotty to Daddy and me, and we loved you so.

You and I did not always have an easy time. For sure, you were Daddy's girl right from the start, but you and I had some struggles to wade through. You were always quite willful, and as a puppy, you and I definitely had some moments when we were battling for the "alpha" title. As sweetly sociable as you became in later years, it's almost hard for me to remember your youthful exuberance that made it so hard for us to calmly meet other people and dogs. As a youngster, you would pogo up-and-down at my side in your excitement, and then try to catapult yourself at everyone we met. At the beginning, I felt so exhausted by my training failures that I just crossed the street to avoid encounters. But as time passed, you settled down and you and I settled in together. In these final years, there could have been no sweeter dog when it came to meeting and greeting anybody and everybody. You could so certainly have been my official therapy dog had we had the time to make that happen. It was such a pleasure taking you for our walks. You loved everybody, and everybody loved you. Everybody loved Peg. It has been so hard telling your friends, one by one, that you are gone. There have been many more tears shed over you than just mine and Daddy's.

Gosh, there are so many stories I could tell and so many special moments I could share. But mainly I just wanted to tell you how much we have always loved you, and to thank you for being such a good dog. Such a sweetheart. Beautiful big girl with your lovely brown eyes, shiny black coat, and giant bear paws. My Peggotty Pie. I miss you so much today, and I will love you forever.

Your Mom

Budsters Mom
07-06-2016, 12:58 PM
(((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

Joan2517
07-06-2016, 02:25 PM
I am crying at my desk...what beautiful words to such a beautiful girl, Marianne. My heart aches for you...

Harley PoMMom
07-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Oh Marianne, what a beautiful tribute to your very precious girl. I've gotten to know Peg through your posts about her and Peg sure is special, just like her Mom.

I join the others in honoring our dear Peg, her memory lives on forever.

Sending huge and loving hugs, Lori

spdd
07-06-2016, 06:48 PM
It goes without saying how shattered our hearts are.
Huge (((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))

Whiskey's Mom
07-06-2016, 07:51 PM
What a loving tribute- I am in tears too. I, for one, would never be bored hearing details about your life with dear Peg. If it helps to write them here, then do it. You really have a way with words. Just beautiful.

kanga
07-07-2016, 02:14 AM
Can't help but crying one of the most beautiful tribute I ever seen! If you need someone pm me in private I can comfort you:(
HUGS for you.

Trish
07-07-2016, 05:53 AM
Miss Peggotty! Love it :) lovely words from a lovely lady to a much loved fur baby, wop wop wop can feel it in my heart :) xx

DoxieMama
07-07-2016, 08:14 AM
Oh Marianne, my heart reaches out to yours with comfort. What a beautiful note for your wonderful Miss Peggotty. It made me smile to read about the willful, pogo-ing, catapulting excited young dog, and the transformation she experienced to the much loved, sociable friend to all.

Thank you for sharing your love, your beautiful girl with us.

Many hugs and comforting thoughts your way, my friend.
Shana

Squirt's Mom
07-11-2016, 09:06 AM
Sweet Peg will always be at your side, pogoing to let you know how much she still loves you. I so hope you get to see things soon that let you know she is there. Never doubt those little things you "think" you see or hear - they are real, they are from her, and they have great healing power. The simplest thing like a tickle on your ear in the mornings or a scent on the air can mean she is at your side. They will bring a new flood of tears but they also bring a promise that you WILL see her again one day. Squirt has been gone over 2 years and I still get signs from her....not as often as I did at first but enough to let me know she is still here, waiting on me.

We have been honored to share in Peg's life with you and now we are honored to grieve with you thru this phase of her Journey.

Many hugs and much love,
Leslie

apollo6
07-11-2016, 02:05 PM
Dear Marianne.
The loss never goes away, the pain eases with time ,the love is always there. Peggotty was is ,will always be in your heart and soul. As you know it is hell on earth at the beginning. God only gives us our fur babies for awhile. They are loaned out to us to make us better people. The time we have with them is never long enough. We are left with the love, the memories. Grieve in your own way. We would love to hear stories about Peggy only when you are up to it. Maybe be part of the healing process.
Love Sonja,Apollo,Karma

labblab
07-11-2016, 02:08 PM
Everybody's kind words are appreciated more than you can know. Thank you all so much.

We have Peg's ashes back, and that helps a little. Just like with Barkis, I do feel as though I sense her spirit when I am spending time in the places that she loved the most. And that also helps a bit.

But still lots of hard moments. Most of our house is carpeted, and we've always joked about the mounds of gray dog hair embedded everywhere from the combo of Peg's black hair and Luna's white hair entertwined. Salt-n-pepper, we always laughed. I vacuumed again this morning, and for the first time ever there was totally white hair alone. :( :( :( :(

How nuts to be crying over white dog hair, but there you have it. I miss her in so many ways.

Joan2517
07-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Not nuts at all...I miss sitting on the deck steps at 4:30 in the morning waiting for Lena to pee. I still cry every time I look out the window and don't see her little face watching for me during the rest of the day; I miss her gurgling tummy and smelly farts; and I miss her snoring in bed at night...I still reach out for her to make sure she's not too close to the edge of the bed. Her meds are still on the counter, I just can't bear to put/throw them away. I put her Christmas dress away and I will get Sibbie her own. It would be too sad to see another in the only dress she ever wore.

Still there....

Budsters Mom
07-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Hey, I can help with your salt and pepper problem… How about I send you a big mound of Rosie's black hair (after grooming). It's going to waste now!!! You can sprinkle it around before you vacuum and presto, salt-and-pepper!! Easy huh!! ;) Happy to help. :p

Seriously, we all know how hard this is. The smallest things set off triggers. It's normal. Not NUTS!!! It's called love.

Big hugs Sweetie,
Kathy

Most of our house is carpeted, and we've always joked about the mounds of gray dog hair embedded everywhere from the combo of Peg's black hair and Luna's white hair entertwined. Salt-n-pepper, we always laughed. I vacuumed again this morning, and for the first time ever there was totally white hair alone. :( :( :( :(

molly muffin
07-11-2016, 07:05 PM
Sending you big hugs Marianne. What a lovely thing to write to dearest Peg.
I cried to think of her loss and your heart ache and smiled and the youthful Peg you described.

mommyslittlegirl
07-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Sweet memories, even the simple ones bring tears. Thinking of you Marianne

Allison
07-16-2016, 08:57 AM
Marianne, hugs.

Yes, I know how well those early days we can try to convince ourselves of a different reality than what we face. But then after a few days or weeks, there's no way we can continue to deny that we've lost a dear companion. I'm so sorry for your pain during this time.

Thank you for sharing how Peg got her name. I love that both Barkis and her were named after Dickens' characters! Our own Barnaby wasn't deliberately named after any character, from books or television. My husband specifically wished for our dog to have a unique name. When it comes to our Cinder though, she was named after the fairy tale character. She looks like a cat who sat by ashes. :-)

Your tribute is beautiful. Do share more stories, as you feel led. I think pet owners love to hear them. And I hope it helps for you to tell them. Peg is worthy of as many as you desire to write.

maggiesmomma
08-14-2016, 02:13 AM
I just saw your beautiful tribute, Marianne and I join in your sorrow.

I know that they are always with us....just subtle little reminders, but you have to watch and listen for them. Jolly shows up with just a one second flicker and movement of the flame on my Luminara candles AFTER the batteries have gone dead.

They live in our hearts forever until we can join them.

Take care, my friend and know that Annabel and I are thinking of you and sending you hugs.

Love,
Jeanie

Budsters Mom
09-05-2016, 06:59 PM
A very special birthday wish for our beautiful, black, Angel Peg. Happy Birthday sweetie.

labblab
09-06-2016, 07:29 AM
Thank you, Kathy. It is so sweet of you to write here. Peg would have been twelve this past weekend, and I am missing her so much. At the beginning of summer when she first left us, I comforted myself by thinking she was out of pain. As this hot summer dragged on, I thought how much she would have struggled in the heat and how uncomfortable she would have been. I was so grateful for those mornings in May when it was still pretty enough for us all to be in the yard with Peg while she lounged in her soft grass.

But suddenly the early mornings are finally a bit cooler, and Peggotty would have loved her walks again. There is already Halloween candy in the store, and I see her orange collar in our closet but there will be no shiny black dog here to wear it. Over this weekend, the comfort vanished. All the sweet memories remain, including the day we brought her home as a baby puppy. And over time, I know I'll find comfort again in the memories. But not today. Today I just want her back.

I love you, my sweet baby Peg. I wish with all my heart you could have had more years on this earth with your dad and me. We were so lucky the day you were born, and I will never forget the day you came home with us to heal our broken hearts. Thank you for everything, and I send you love always from Your Mom.

Squirt's Mom
09-06-2016, 09:26 AM
These times are so bittersweet, Marianne. Both the good memories and the agony of loss mingling in our hearts, bringing smiles and tears. I like to think Squirt sees and feels every smile and every tear with gratitude knowing they are in her honor and come from a place of indescribable love.

Hugs, sweet lady.

Budsters Mom
09-06-2016, 01:48 PM
I totally understand. I have had many of those days.
(((((Hugs)))))

Today I just want her back..

Harley PoMMom
09-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Sending huge and loving hugs.

molly muffin
09-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Sending big hugs your way Marianne.

I totally understand. You don't want them to suffer, but damn it hurts to miss them so much. It just never feels like the time we have with them is long enough.

spdd
09-08-2016, 08:23 PM
You are such a support for everyone.. just want you to know I am sending huge hugs your way. Sure know how you feel... 22 months now for me, and am still a mess a lot of times. I cannot believe what a huge hole they leave....yet somehow we go on.

Tina
09-09-2016, 01:06 AM
Huge hugs Marianne. Peg was so special. I miss my shiny black dog every day too, and think of her often as Halloween approaches. She sure loved all the kids coming to the door. That was no longer fun after she left. Like Sharlene said, the time we have with them is never long enough. xo

Tina
06-13-2017, 06:25 AM
Dear Marianne,
I have been thinking about you and precious Peg so much lately. Sending lots of love and many hugs across the miles, especially today. You are in my thoughts on this difficult day. Always in loving memory of your beautiful beautiful girl. xo

Love,
Tina

Joan2517
06-13-2017, 07:32 AM
So hard to believe it's been a year already...seems like yesterday, but also such a long time when you think about the last time you held them. Many, many hugs, Marianne...

Harley PoMMom
06-13-2017, 07:49 AM
Loving hugs from me too.

DoxieMama
06-13-2017, 09:35 AM
Joining the others in sending you hugs from across the miles.

labblab
06-13-2017, 11:01 AM
Thank you so very much, everybody. It is a very hard day for me, and it helps knowing you're all here. I've been trying to somehow fashion it in my mind as a "Re-Birthday" or anniversary of the day Peg was freed from pain and the confines of her worn out body. But I'm not getting much mileage out of that. :o

There is not a morning that dawns or a day that passes without me thinking about her. So at least in my mind's eye, she is never far away. But I still miss her so, and nothing can ever change that. Not today or any day.

Thank you so much for your warm thoughts, and especially for remembering her alongside me. She was such a good girl and so worthy of being remembered and honored. My shiny black dog and now my sweet angel. Mommy loves you forever.

Squirt's Mom
06-13-2017, 11:02 AM
It was just yesterday she had to leave, wasn't it? :(:(:( No, no...it was ages ago, right? :(:(:( Time doesn't work right when grief is present. On one hand it seems like our baby girls were just here, right here, under our touch....but on the other hand it seems like decades since we've seen them. Hopefully time is different for them - years seeming like minutes. I just know they miss us, too. And one day we will be with them again.

Many hugs, dear lady!
Leslie

Budsters Mom
06-13-2017, 05:50 PM
I join you in honoring our sweet Peg. Our shiny, black girl, with huge bear paws and heart of gold.

Kathy

labblab
06-14-2017, 09:52 AM
Thank you all again. It helps to know I'm not alone. I honestly think today is even harder for me than the day after Peg died. Everything happened so fast and I was really in shock back then. I felt almost numb. Since then, there have been many rough days during the past year, including all the "firsts." But even with the firsts, I felt a connection between past and present. And the connection helped me somehow, even though it hurt. Don't know if that makes any sense at all, but there was some comfort along with the hurt..:o

But today -- one year plus one day -- it just hurts really bad. It feels like she's finally really gone. From now on it will just be one year adding to another year and the time will keep falling away from the time when we were together. It will be harder for me to recall all the little things that bound our lives together. I'll remember that they happened, but it'll be harder to relive how they felt. That makes me so sad.

But I promise that I'll never forget how much I love her. I will never, ever forget that. That is one promise I know I will keep, and it will feel as alive as the first day I laid eyes on her and held her in my arms. My precious baby girl.

Joan2517
06-14-2017, 12:12 PM
That is so true, Marianne...I am having trouble remembering all the little things...they are getting further and further from my memory. The way she smelled, the sound of her breathing, the way her fur felt. That hurts so much. The one thing that I still can feel and hear, is the way she would sigh when I held her in my arms against my heart. I hope that one stays with me...

molly muffin
06-14-2017, 07:58 PM
HUGS Marianne I'm sorry I wasn't here yesterday. :( I don't think you ever forget the love, their preciousness to you. It is embeded deep into your "love" cells.
I don't know how any of us get through that anniversary. I think we just muddle on through the day and give ourselves time to spend in contemplation and memories. It's awful that we have to give ourselves permission that it is okay to continue to grieve but sometimes it's the only way.

I understand so much what you mean. We all do. That one year date is not for the faint of heart, it strikes really hard to what we love most.

Whiskey's Mom
06-14-2017, 10:55 PM
Oh Marianne-1 year. I can't even imagine. I think I'm going to make a Whiskey journal so I don't forget all the cute & crazy times, and all the little things too. Your words make perfect sense.
We have a black lab in our neighborhood who reminds me so much of your sweet Peg, based on your descriptions. He's a gentle giant who stares at our house every time he walks by, looking for his friend. Sending belated hugs to you and crying right there with you.
Love is forever.
Annie

mommyslittlegirl
06-18-2017, 12:27 PM
Marianne, sending you a late big hug .The love for your sweet girl will never change. From the moment you first saw her and held her in your arms you knew you loved her. And the love and bond became stronger. That will never change.. Love is everlasting .I have kept a journal for most of my baby`s life. A little after she left, I started to write down all the memories of the times we shared. The funny things she did, the special times and simple times. Things that were not written in her original journal .Things that did not seem real important at that time. Even what she wore at that certain time and what was in our picnic basket. I don`t think I will ever forget those things but they make me smile and feel good when I read about them. I gave her a wonderful life. Maybe that would help you. Your baby knew how much you loved her and she felt that every day. I am not good at words but I hope I provided a little comfort for you just as you comfort me.

labblab
06-18-2017, 01:23 PM
Oh Dawn, your words are so sweet and I thank you so much! They surely are a comfort to me. Annie's memory book for Whiskey and your journal for your baby girl are wonderful ideas. I think it just might help me to start writing down some things, too. When my Cushpup Barkis died, I wrote him letters for several weeks afterwards :o. I thanked him for all he'd given me and I remembered our special times together. It was hard to write those letters amid many tears, but they also helped get me through those very sad days because they kept me feeling close to him.

I have a pretty little blank notebook that a friend gave me as a gift some time ago. I hadn't had a use for it before, but this may just be the perfect thing. I think I'm going to start writing down some memories today in hopes of bringing Peg back closer to me again, too. You are a good friend, Dawn, and I thank you very much for helping me.

SasAndYunah
06-20-2017, 08:40 AM
Can't believe it has "only" been a year. But one of my strongest memories of her, well actually your stories of her, is the fact that as a pup, she would bounce up and down, like a skippy ball....that will never leave my mind :)

Big big hugs,

Saskia :)

labblab
07-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Hello again, Sweetheart. Just felt as though I needed to write today. Driving home from the store, I saw a "For Sale" sign in front of the house where the two little white dogs live. You loved everybody, but it seemed as though you were especially drawn to them. You always strained so hard to try to greet them whenever we passed by on our morning walk. How your tail would wag!! It just hits me so hard in my heart to think that they are leaving now, too. Every day when I see them as I drive by, I think of you and smile. And now they are leaving, too.

I don't even know their names, and yet I'll miss them so. Another connection gone.

Thanks to Dawn's suggestion, I've been writing down little memories to always have beside me. I guess today I'll write about the two little white dogs. You always approached everyone as a friend, my Sweetheart. That's your lesson for me today that I'll try to take into my own heart. Miss you so much and love you forever.

Joan2517
07-22-2017, 08:53 PM
Awwww, Marianne...

mommyslittlegirl
07-23-2017, 04:56 PM
Marianne, when changes come we feel like somehow a connection is lost with our precious babies. I also have felt like you. For almost 15 years, my baby and I would go to this little Tea Room and sit out in the courtyard. I drank tea and we shared sandwiches. Just enjoying each other so very much. . We would be there for a couple of hours on a beautiful day.. . We were so happy, my baby and me. After she left, I couldn't go by that tea room for months. I was so sad without her. About 5 months later, I wanted to go there and relive the happy times we shared there. But it had closed. I sat in my car and cried. I left but I came back a few days later. I got out and looked inside the tea room and stood at the iron gate leading into the courtyard. Both were empty, but In my mind I could plainly see me ( a girl with long brown hair ) and my love , ( a tiny white toy poodle ) sitting there again sharing sandwiches, talking and laughing. Her walking around .Just like it was yesterday. So Marianne , even tho the house is up for sale and one day the 2 little white dogs will be gone, if you really look hard , you will plainly see a lady, on a morning walk with her beautiful Sweetheart ,tail wagging, straining to greet 2 little white dogs. And perhaps a smile will come to your face as the memories of the precious tea room has for me. Hugs.

labblab
07-24-2017, 09:44 AM
Thank you so much, Joan. And Dawn, your sweet message brought tears to my eyes yesterday just as it does again this morning. What you wrote is so deeply lovely, and it has unleashed so many different memories and thoughts for me. Many are still a jumble, but they are all meaningful, and I thank you so much for what you wrote.

One of our dear staffers, Addy, has written this as part of her signature line here: "Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter." I think of that line often, especially at this time of the year. We are surrounded by "Knockout" roses in this part of the country, and I have multiple bushes in my own yard. They bloom profusely through the summer here. In fact, so profusely that it is very easy to take them for granted during the summer. But then the freeze comes in the fall and the blooms are gone for the season. And then I miss them dearly, and try to imagine them blooming again on a cold winter day.

What you wrote yesterday challenges me to try to find a way to join the past and the present in a way that is not painful. To let them hold hands, if you will :o. I thought about that so much this morning when I was walking Luna at the lake. This is the same lake where I've taken countless walks, first with Barkis and then Peg and now Luna. Much has changed over two decades -- the open fields are now office buildings; old trees have died or been split by storms and new trees have been planted. There are new sidewalks and more people.

But there are still a few stretches that remain the same. And on this warm July morning, while I was thinking about what you had written, there was one brief moment when I truly felt as though we were all four walking together. Barkis and Peg and Luna and me. I cannot tell you how sweet that felt. There are just no words.

I hope so much that maybe I'll have that feeling again. It was indeed like the past and present were holding hands. But after it passed, I made a little silent vow to Luna to try not to take the present for granted, like I do with the roses. She is on this earth with me right now, and I don't want my tears over my losses to blind me to the joy that she and I can share now. So thank you again, so much, for your sweet story. It has meant a lot to me.

Marianne

molly muffin
07-26-2017, 04:52 PM
Well dang if I don't have tears coming down too as I read this.

All those special times, it can be hard to grasp hold of them and hang on for the years to come without them. Anything that helps to do that, should be cherished. Thank you Dawn.

I hate change. The things that were so precious at that time changing. I want my friends and their dogs to remain forever just as they are today, as they were before molly passed. I understand that Marianne.

I am sure that you don't by pass any precious moment with Luna, it isn't in you to do so. :) I don't think you need to worry that you will miss something. (Luna wouldn't let you anyhow) hahaha

labblab
12-15-2018, 05:22 PM
During the winter before Peg died, she was due for her rabies booster. She was over 11 years old then, and when asked at the vet’s office whether I wanted to stick with a 3-year vaccination as opposed to a less expensive 1-year, I said, “Absolutely!” What with all her problems, in my heart I doubted that we’d be blessed with quite that much more time left. But by picking the 3-year, I figured I’d be keeping her from ever having to be vaccinated again. And that gave me comfort that morning, and also high hopes to keep looking ahead to the future with still more years to savor.

We lost her six months later, and I never thought about that vaccination again.

Last night, hubby brought in the mail and I saw two distinctive green cards from our county animal control office. I recognized them immediately and I just melted inside. Three years later and two little green cards with two different names, but only one doggie left in our house. The blindsides are still so unexpected, and oh, how my heart does ache and how the tears do flow. Three years have passed, all in the blink of an eye.

Per her own little green card, after the holidays, I’ll take Luna in for her booster. She’s over 10 now, so I know I’ll be asked the same question. Do I want to stick with the 3-year. And I’ll tell them, “Absolutely!” And my heart will skip a beat and I’ll be saying a little silent prayer.

Mom loves you, precious Peg. Please keep watching over your sister. And please know that you are always in my heart. My shiny black dog with your big, big paws and your strong, sweet spirit. We will never, ever forget you. Three more years from now, or ever. You will always be loved by us all. Forever.

Squirt's Mom
12-16-2018, 09:45 AM
Oh, Marianne, what a bittersweet day for you. Those reminders of our loses also bring back the memories of the good times when our babies were well and strong and filling our lives with so much joy. Three years or thirty years we will never forget and the love we shared will remain strong...as will the longing for that day when we will hold them again.

Many hugs and much love,
Leslie

Harley PoMMom
12-16-2018, 11:39 AM
Huge hugs and tons of love from me too.

Joan2517
12-16-2018, 09:44 PM
And from me too...I've been doing the tree and I usually put her ornaments on first, but this year I couldn't.

I finally put them on today and it hurt. It still hurts...she loved for me to pick her up while I put the ornaments on. It took longer working with one hand, but she loved it so much I didn't care. I would look down at her sweet face and see the lights reflected in her eyes, she just loved it. Even as a puppy, she never bothered the tree. The presents were a different story, though. She just loved to shred that wrapping paper, pull the bows off and take off with them. I'm smiling just thinking about it.

Bittersweet for sure...

Budsters Mom
12-17-2018, 10:48 PM
Our sweet Leslie always knows exactly the right thing to say. Unfortunately, I do not have that gift.

These moments pop up unexpectedly and can really pull at our heartstrings. I'd like to say that it gets easier, but I'm not sure it ever does, or is meant to.

labblab
06-13-2021, 03:04 PM
Hello my Angel Peg. I can barely believe it, but five years have now passed since we last hugged and kissed you. It was five years ago today that we set you free.

It was on a Monday that we had to say goodbye. On the day before, though, I remember the four of us out in your backyard. Daddy and I were so worried about you, but you still managed to get out the door and we all sat together for a while on your soft green grass. Daddy and I are just now back inside after giving Luna a Sunday bath out there. She isn’t able to make it upstairs into the tub anymore, so we were waiting for a sunny warm day in order to bathe her in the yard. Today was the day, and I couldn’t help thinking about you and remembering you with us on that other sunny June morning.

Sadly for us, Luna’s hind end is growing ever weaker, just like your’s did. For the moment, though, she’s still managing OK. But do be ready for her, Sweetheart, when her time comes. I know that you and Barkis and Grandmother will be right there when she’s ready. That’s the one thing that gives me peace at the times when we see her struggling. You always took such good care of your little sister. You would have been such a wonderful momma dog if you’d ever had puppies of your own. I know you’ll always be there for Lunie when she needs you.

I love you, Sweetheart. My beautiful shiny black dog. Forever and always in my heart.

Joan2517
06-13-2021, 09:26 PM
Oh Marianne...this has brought tears to my eyes. So sweet, so sad, so many memories. I am watching Gable the same way you are watching Luna. He is struggling with getting up, sliding on the floor, just like Lee. I know the time is coming, and I am dreading it, but as long as he still seems happy, loves going out and just laying down watching the world go by, and playing as much as he is able with Cooper, I am going to hope for more time. I may start him on some Cosequin? I'm not sure if that's spelled right.

I can't believe it's been five years, for both of us, just a few months apart. I loved your beautiful, shiny black dog the way I loved my Lee, and now Luna and my big beautiful boy, Gabe.

Many, many hugs and kisses to you and Luna from me and my pack....

Love, Joan.

Squirt's Mom
06-14-2021, 08:58 AM
Oh Marianne, these anniversaries are so bittersweet especially when those who have gone ahead are standing by for another who prepares to face that Journey across the Bridge. But there really is a comfort in knowing all those loved ones are together and watching over us, waiting for us when our time comes at last. It's hard to believe it's been five years since Miss Peg had to leave this life. Seems like only yesterday she was here with us all, brightening our days with stories of her life with her family. I know it's even more unreal for you and hubby. I pray your heart is filled with joyful memories of that time together.

Hugs,
Leslie

Harley PoMMom
06-14-2021, 03:49 PM
Sending huge and loving hugs ♥♥♥

labblab
06-15-2021, 07:45 AM
Thank you so much, my dear friends. My Cushing’s family has meant the world to me during these many years we’ve been together. This is the first place I turn to, both in happiness and in sorrow over my furbabies — over *our* furbabies thanks to the special love we all share! I know you always understand everything I’m feeling without words even needing to be spoken. I’m so very grateful that you’re here.

Thank you again, today and every day.

Budsters Mom
06-15-2021, 08:43 PM
Hi Marianne,
Read your heart wrenching post and also became teary. Yes. the time passes much too quickly. There is never enough time with them. Sending love and hugs across the miles.

labblab
06-17-2021, 09:04 AM
Oh Kathy, thank you so much. Sending hugs right back at you…!

mytil
07-01-2021, 03:44 PM
I am so sorry I am late Marianne!!!! I know your sweetie pie is watching over you!!!! I am in tears reading your wonderful post.
Big ((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))
Terry