PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Lucy home

lleigh
06-19-2009, 12:15 PM
I wasn't going to post a tribute to my dear Lucy on the new site because it is old news. But............. I was feeling I left her out there lost in cyberspace somewhere and I needed to bring her home.

I learned a lot over the two years we struggled with this disease but what I learned most was to have hope. To any new members reading this, many cushpups live out a normal lifespan with proper medication. Hang in here with these wonderfully knowledgable folks who will give great advice and sincere friendship.

Dearest Lucy, aka Lucille, aka Boston Retriever,

Today is your birthday, January 20, 2009 and you would have been twelve years old. Although I am very sad you are gone, I am also celebrating today as we always did, your birthday and your wonderful little self.

You came into our lives in February, 1997. We had been furbabyless five months after losing our Cindy Loo to cancer and we were furbaby lonesome. Our youngest of three girls had graduated from high school, gone off to college, and so we looked in the newspaper just to see. "Boston Terrier puppies for sale". Oh boy! I was raised with one and knew the Boston personality and so we went. The breeder in Virginia Beach should not have been breeding for white babies, but she did, and when you hopped right into my lap it was all over. My mother decided you would be a great birthday present (my 50th!). Two very long weeks later we picked you up and brought your adorable cute self home. You were instantly loved and you instantly bonded with the entire family. So small and always cold, you spent the first weeks of spring that year inside our sweaters or in our pockets. You were smart, very easy and quick to train, and never chewed up a thing in our house. You loved squeeky toys, threw them up in the air and tried to catch them. You energetically opened most of our Christmas presents for years. You loved to fly off our deck into the yard (only two steps down) with your little legs straight out behind you like "Super Dog". You loved people, especially the ones who took the time to notice you. You tunnelled under the covers of our bed and slept and snored between the two of us just to make sure you were the center of attention. Our middle daughter worked in a nursing home for a while when you were young and she took you to visit frequently. The multi-handicapped children adored you and you loved spending time in their beds. You were always extremely sensitive to anyone who was ill or upset. You went wherever we went because you were always a welcome guest. You especially loved the Rappahannock Rivah (yes, they spell it that way up there). Who would guess that a Boston Terrier could possibly be a good swimmer? You had two larger family lab type dogs (our daughters') to measure up to and you certainly did. They would swim way out to retrieve thrown sticks and you would wait until they came in close enough, steal the stick away, and then proudly swim to shore to show off your ability. Typical Boston attitude!

Happy Birthday my love! Thank you for giving us nearly twelve years of your wonderful, loving, affectionate, happy self! I will now hold you in my heart forever!

Love,

Mom, aka Lyn

Lucy was diagnosed in August of 2006. We struggled to get medication level (Trilostane) right for 18 months. There were many ups and downs with lots of eating and elimination problems. Her rear quarter trembling never stopped. Later, additional diagnosis from the University of Tennessee indicated Atypical Cushing's Disease. Due to major eating problems, we discontinued Trilostane and commenced Melatonin and Flax. IMS suspected a macroadenoma all along and when Lucy started having seizures it was evident this was the case. Severe seizures led to major disorientation and loss of quality of life and Lucy went to the Rainbow Bridge January 17, 2009.

Squirt's Mom
06-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Aw Lyn,

I am in tears reading this once again. Your Lucy was such a wonderful little girl and it is obvious how very much she was, and is, loved. She couldn't have asked for a better mom and I know she looks over you with adoration and gratitude.

Thank you so much for bring our Lucy home. Your Boston Retriever belongs here with her other family and I am so glad to see this tribute. I hope you have found some peace in the time that has passed. Tho we never forget the pain of our losses, we do learn to cope, holding the memories close.

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls

mytil
06-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Oh Lyn,

I am so very glad you posted this tribute and yes your Lucy is home (and no it is not old news).

I can see those little legs now jumping off the porch - she loved life and she loves you.

I know the Rappahannock Rivah very well - but only in Fredericksburg (I am a central VA girl myself)

Your little Lucy is watching over all of you still.
Terry

PS you have to create your photo album and upload those wonderful photos soon :)

Dollydog
06-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Lyn,
Thank you for posting this....your Lucy belongs here in our new home. I've always loved that picture of the little dog with the big stick, swimming for all she's worth! Hope your heart is healing more every day...take care,
Jo-Ann & Lady

Harley PoMMom
06-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Dearest Lyn,

As a new member to this forum I never got the honor to meet your precious, sweet Lucy. But through your loving and beautiful tribute to her, I was able to see how truly special Lucy was. She had a remarkable personality ~ sensitive, smart, loving, and never chewed up a thing in the house...
Thank you so much for sharing Lucy's story with us, it has truly touched my heart.

Hugs to you,
Lori

BestBuddy
06-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Lyn,
That was a lovely tribute. And yes bringing Lucy "home" to us out of cyberspace needed to be done. Such a special girl needs to be read about.
Jenny

Roxee's Dad
06-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Lyn,
Thank you for sharing Lucy's story and bringing her home. She was a sweet little girl with a big personality. My heart still hurts for you.

forscooter
06-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Lyn,

As they say, "home is where the heart is"....and this is the place that IS home....bc all of our hearts are right here. Lucy is home...she belongs here...her story is part of all of us now....as it was, and as it always will be.

I am so glad Lucy is home.....I had to do the same with Scooter....bc his life held more meaning than just to be lost someplace where there isn't the love and support that exists right here...

Love and hugs, Beth, Bailey and always Scoobie

MiniSchnauzerMom
06-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Lyn,

I am glad to see that Lucy is now home. She was part of the family and her tribute belongs here. I'll always think of your Boston Retriever as the sweet, brave little girl who carried a big stick!

Louise

gpgscott
06-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Thank you Lyn, and thank you for considering this home. We all welcome Lucy home.
Scott

ChristyA
06-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi Lyn,
What a wonderful tribute to Lucy the Boston "Retreiver". I love that picture of her in your avatar. I know she was a lovey and fought to stay with you as long as she could. You were always so wonderful to her. I'm glad you are here, I'm sure your knowledge and compassion will be much appreciated.
Christy

SachiMom
06-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Lyn,
Thank you so much for posting Lucy's story again. It brings joy and tears. You both are part of the family and will always remain in our hearts.
Godspeed Lucy, maybe you can teach Sachi how to swim!!!
Hugs ~ Mary Ann

fivebichons
06-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Dear Lyn,

This is your home. This is Lucy's home. This is "our" home. You can always come back here any time and always feel "HOME." I can step outside for a while and come back and feel like I have never left. That is how close everyone is to my heart and how they make you feel. You and Lucy are here. Always welcome with open arms.

Thank you for feeling close enough to come back. Never lose heart for it is the only one you've got.

Lots of love,
Heidi

ladysmom06
06-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Oh Lyn,

What a loving tribute to your sweet Lucy. There is no place like home and this is Lucy's home - she belongs here and will always be remembered. Thanks for sharing her story - it brought tears to my eyes. Hugs to you.

Luv,
Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart.

labblab
06-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Lyn, I am so glad to see Lucy back here where she belongs. I have to tell you -- your avatar photo of her swimming with her stick is one of my all-time favorite pictures. And I just visited your album, and am so pleased to see little Piper Rosebud there, alongside precious Lucy. A circle of life surrounding your heart.

Thanks so much for remaining here, and for continuing to share the spirits of your girls with us all ~
Marianne

labblab
01-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Dear Lyn,

Thinking of you and Lucy on this second anniversary of her passage to Rainbow Bridge. Sending you the warmest of hugs and my hopes that some "sweetness" on this bittersweet day will come from your precious memories and the bright spirit of your baby girl ~ forever alive in your heart.

With my best wishes always,
Marianne

lleigh
01-17-2011, 10:06 AM
It's really hard to believe it's been two years now. I still have her little tin on top of a bookcase in my den. Just can't seem to part with her yet. She was a very special girl and her spirit reminds of that every single day.

Thank you so much for thinking of me!

Lyn

jrepac
01-17-2011, 07:03 PM
so nice to read Lucy's story...the time passes so, so quickly.

Piper is absolutely adorable! :)

Jeff & Angel Mandy

labblab
01-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Hi Lyn,

How is it possible that almost another year has passed...:o

Thinking of your sweet girl and sending you warm hugs of comfort. "Little" Piper Rosebud must be all grown up now, another sweet soul to share your life and your heart. But we will never forget Lucy -- a little girl with the heart of a BIG, BIG dog!! Whenever I see your avatar, I smile. Because Lucy's spirit still shines through so brilliantly, today and everyday.

Always in loving memory,
Marianne

lleigh
02-07-2012, 06:51 AM
Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness. It is a challenge, with each anniversary, to focus on all the good memories rather the more troubling ones. She was a very special girl.

Our little Piper Rosebud has grown into a very sweet, gentle and loving little buddy and we are truly blessed again.

Best wishes to you and yours and thank you for thinking of me.

Lyn