PDA

View Full Version : My Princess Is Gone But Not Forgotten

My Little Princess
01-24-2016, 09:12 PM
Hello to all of the great members here. My name is Carol. My little furchild was named Princess. She left me in Feb. 2014. When I first was told she had Cushings I was scared and cried for days. My vets said she had about two years. Than I did a very foolish thing. I put my trust entirely in her vets. Her cortisol was a roller coaster. Series of ups and down. At one time it did dip to low. Than there was the muscle weakness, tiredness, breathing loud, the seizures. Just part of the disease ,I was told. Anyhow to get to the point---After she left ,I cried several times every day, lost 10 pounds,never ate , slept and dragged myself to work. This went on for a year. After that as well as today, I still cry every day. .It is a little easier but I still miss her so much. As time moves along the hurt heals a little. But When your heart is broken in a million pieces, when it finally starts to mend ,there still is a crack in the heart that never heals. So what I am saying the vets do not know everthing about this disease. Some have very little knowledge. You can not totally rely on them. Now I found this site, as I still think about if something else could have been done for her. I was truly amazed at all the knowledge as well as support and compassion on this site. you people are doing a wonderful service. I even thought some of the ones might be vets. All I want to say is good job and please keep it up. Wish I had found this place when Princess was here. Loving thoughts to everyone. Carol. Not for sure if this will be posted.

labblab
01-24-2016, 09:28 PM
Hello Carol, and welcome to you. Yes, indeed, your reply has been posted :o. You will see that I have taken the liberty of moving it to our special memorial forum. This way, our members will be able to stop by to meet you and also to join you in honoring your sweet Princess and all that she will always mean to you. We do understand how deeply it hurts to lose a furbaby, and we will do our best to help support you at the same time that we honor her memory.

If you would like to tell us the date of Princess' passing, we will enter her name on our thread of honor for 2014. If you have a photo that you'd like for us to link to her name, it would be our privilege to add that, as well. You can either create a personal photo album here and upload a photo for us to copy, or you can send a picture to us directly at k9cushings@gmail.com.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5973

In the meantime, once again, I am very glad you've found us. And we will be watching for any stories or memories that you care to share with us.

Always in loving memory of your sweet Princess ~
Marianne

Budsters Mom
01-24-2016, 11:10 PM
Hi Carol,

It is just possible that you found us when you needed us the most.;) Far too many of us have lost beloved fur babies. Our hairy little children mean more than some of our human family members. OK, so maybe that's me!;)

I think it's human nature to revisit what we could've done differently to help our babies at the time, but if the truth be told, I honestly think we do the best we can with the information and resources we have available to us. What's important is finding a way to move forward. I'm sure that is what princess would want for you.

We would love to hear all about her. I hope you'll drop in again soon.

Kathy

mytil
01-25-2016, 06:20 AM
Carol,

You and your girl are now part of our family and am glad you found us too. I am so very sorry for your loss and I know firsthand what you are going through. Even after all these years, I still shed a tear when I think of my little girl Mytilda; many of us still do. What you are going through is a natural grieving process and we are all here to help you. Believe me, the good memories will start to come to the surface and one day you will notice you are smiling and remembering the wonderful times with her.

Hindsight is always a devil so please do be kind to yourself. Your precious Princess will always be remembered here.

((((hugs))))
Terry

My Little Princess
01-25-2016, 09:03 PM
I was so surprised to see not only my post but 3 replies. Marianne , thank you so much for such a warm welcome. My Princess left Feb 06 of 2014. She was only 11 1/2 . Both Princess and myself would be honored to be added to the thread. I never want her to be forgotten. Kathy, thank you, I can fell the love you had for your furbaby. I know my sweet Princess would want me to never forget her but move forward. I can agree, these fur children are family members. And it is easy to love them as we do our human family. They love us completely and never ask for much. Just for our love. Terry, I am sorry for your loss of you Mytilda. If that is her little pic. she looks so sweet I am glad to find others that the grieving process has lasted more than a few months. I have a wonderful family, friends and co worker but they do not understand. After a few months, they think your life should return to normal. And yes, guilt is so much a part of losing my Princess. And hopefully in time I will reflect more on the things I did for her and the fun things we shared. And I also want to say again how amazing this site is. Please keep doing this as there will always be a need for it. Carol

Squirt's Mom
01-26-2016, 08:24 AM
Dear Carol,

I read your post when it first appeared then went and had myself another good cry. Another, you ask? Yes, another because that day, like nearly every day since May of '14, had started without my Sweet Bebe, Squirt. I cry just about every morning on waking knowing she isn't here and it isn't unusual for me to cry several times during the day or to cry myself to sleep at nite missing her so very much.

Squirt came to me when she was 5 weeks old, saved from drowning because the owner of her mom was ashamed her show dog had a litter of mixed breed puppies, even tho the dad was also a show dog. Squirt was supposed to be my daughter's dog but my child was out of town when Squirt was delivered and by the time she got back home, it was much too late - Squirt and I had bonded, so Squirt and Gia became sissys instead.

In 2006, my daughter was found dead in her home, no known cause. I thought I would die, too, but Squirt literally saved my life during the darkest period I have ever known or can imagine ever knowing. She gave me purpose, a reason to keep waking up every morning and face another day. Thru her illness she brought me in contact with people around the world who I learned to feel very close to - something that is quite difficult for me. Tho few could empathize with the loss of a child they could understand the bond Squirt and I had, and that meant the world.

Squirt was with me a little more than 16 years and the day I had to let her go be with her Sissy was oh so terrible, a day that is still fresh in my mind. Those "what ifs" and "maybe ifs" continue to rattle around in my head along with the frequent accusation of "What did you DO?!" But the sane part of me knows there was no other choice that honored my Sweet Bebe and the love we shared, a love that will never come again.

The tears we cry today honor our sweet girls and that deep abiding love we shared with them. They are an expression of a bond few can understand....and those who don't understand have no idea what they are lacking or missing out on. They are content to go thru life living on the surface. We are blessed, Carol, to know such a love, to be able to contain such a love, to recognize it, and honor it as we have and continue to do so with every tear that falls.

It is my firm belief that when my job in this life is done I will hold my child and Squirt, and all those I love, once again, that when I walk thru that Veil they will both be standing there in the forefront waiting to greet me. We will go thru eternity together always. You, too, will hold your sweet baby girl again and walk thru all of time with her. Tho the days left to us in this life may be difficult at times, there is a shining future ahead when we will be reunited.

Til then, we cry our tears in honor of the great love we have known...but we don't cry alone.

Hugs,
Leslie

My Little Princess
01-26-2016, 05:44 PM
Leslie. you and I are so much alike. Our hearts guide us. Like you , as I read your reply, the tears began to flow. For you, your daughter ,Squirt and than for my Princess. I felt deep sadness at the loss of your daughter. We always expect to go before are children. Having my 2 sons today, I can only imagine the heartwrenching pain you felt. When you saved Squirt, you probably never realized that one day she would be your saver. Not to go into details, but when my husband of 37 years left, Princess also saved me and like you gave me a purpose for living again. I, again like you and many others had to choose when we were to end our precious fur childs pain. But I guess it is normal to wonder if we did everything possible. I thank this forum as it gets closer to the 2nd year of Princess leaving. I was finding myself falling apart. Leslie, I wish I could reach out and give you a great big hug and perhaps together could have a good long cry. Nothing to be ashamed of. Sharing both the joy of love and the pain of losing. Please take care of yourself. Carol

molly muffin
01-26-2016, 06:35 PM
Hello Carol. I always say we should all be invested in Kleenex. I'm pretty sure we keep them in business.
Our furbabies are so much more than just pets or dogs or cats or whatever type of animal. They are our companions and our best friends. They are there to listen and give kisses when we need them the most and welcome us home after 5 minutes away as if we'd been gone a week. There is nothing like them in the world and there is no greater pain than saying goodbye to a beloved family member and friend.
I'm so glad you found us.

labblab
01-26-2016, 06:38 PM
Hi again, Carol. Just wanted to let you know that Princess is now safely nestled on our 2014 memorial thread, amidst our other beloved babies. So she will always be honored and remembered by our family here.

No matter how many years may pass, the anniversaries can trigger so many memories and bittersweet feelings. I don't think that ever changes, be it one year or two years or ten years. So now you can always return here and know that we will always honor Princess here, right alongside you.

Marianne

My Little Princess
01-26-2016, 09:06 PM
I could not believe all the support and care I have received. And still another one. I really need a Kleenex now . Sharlene, thank you so very much for the warm welcome and words of comfort. I know I am now no longer alone in my grief. I miss my Princess waiting at the door for me . Marianne , I just looked at the 2014 memorial thread and of course I again began to shed tears. Thank you, thank you. To think, even tho Princess and I were not an active member at her passing , she was actually added to the list. Now, my Princess will be remembered forever. Fitting for the true princess she was. Even tho I posted to commend everyone on this site for their support, love and knowledge , I am leaving with so much more than I came in with. I will not post much as I really have not much knowledge on Cushings to be of much help. But I will stop in and say hello and great work . I will never forget my visit here and even tho the crack is still there , it has been slightly filled. Carol

molly muffin
01-26-2016, 09:35 PM
You can come in and visit us whenever you need to Carol. :)

Budsters Mom
01-26-2016, 10:05 PM
You don't have to leave Carol. You can stick around.;) We all have something to offer, whether it be support, knowledge or understanding. :p

apollo6
02-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Welcome, you have come to the right place. Our fur balls are our babies, our family, our heart and soul. We only have them on loan for a short time. It is never long enough. They make us better people for the love, joy,support they give us. It has been over 3 years since I lost my Apollo and I come here for the love and support I need . You are not alone in your feelings and love you had and will always have for your Princess. And yes society does not understand the deep love we have for these incredible beings.
Love Sonja, Apollo

Allison
03-27-2016, 02:33 PM
Carol, belated welcome!

I joined in the Spring of 2015, when our adopted silky terrier was badly declining in health. His seeing and hearing were almost gone. By the time, I posted his Cushiings numbers and started to get advice from ones here, Gizmo was losing his battle with pancreatisis. Everyone here made me feel very welcome. So, I'm glad you found this group. It's a good place to ask questions, learn, and receive support.

Hello to all of the great members here. My name is Carol. My little furchild was named Princess. She left me in Feb. 2014. When I first was told she had Cushings I was scared and cried for days. My vets said she had about two years. Than I did a very foolish thing. I put my trust entirely in her vets. Her cortisol was a roller coaster.

Allison
03-27-2016, 02:41 PM
Leslie, hi.

My being only a year here, this is the first time I've heard your entire story. Thank you saving Squirt. You gave him the life he deserved. And then he was able to there for you too. You have such an amazing and special story. Animals really can save us, can't they? I wish for all they do, they received a longer life on earth. Ten, fifteen, twenty years.... it's all too short, but I guess we should be glad to have at least that many years. We need their love. Hugs to you. Take care.

Dear Carol,

Squirt came to me when she was 5 weeks old, saved from drowning because the owner of her mom was ashamed her show dog had a litter of mixed breed puppies, even tho the dad was also a show dog. Squirt was supposed to be my daughter's dog but my child was out of town when Squirt was delivered and by the time she got back home, it was much too late - Squirt and I had bonded, so Squirt and Gia became sissys instead.

In 2006, my daughter was found dead in her home, no known cause. I thought I would die, too, but Squirt literally saved my life during the darkest period I have ever known or can imagine ever knowing. She gave me purpose, a reason to keep waking up every morning and face another day. Thru her illness she brought me in contact with people

My Little Princess
04-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Today, I had a desire to come back to say hi to my friends on this site. I was sad to see in the time I have been gone several pet parents have lost their furchild. I also see there has been quite a few new ones to the forum. Cushings is indeed a sad disease. But among the gloom there is the angels who continually work hard giving these ones hope, information, encouragement and support. Calming the fear that this disease brings. My love and respect for these continues to grow. I still think about my Princess every day and long to hold her, if only for a minute or two. . Even tho she has been gone for a little over 2 years, I have not got another dog. Perhaps one day. As Sonja said - they are our babies, family, heart and soul. And Allison ,like you this site was found to late but this site is a welcoming mat to ones who grieve . With respect and love, Carol