PDA

View Full Version : Redd

Squirt's Mom
01-21-2016, 01:33 PM
This morning our foster boy crossed The Bridge. Redd has been with us for a little over a year. He came with severe heart murmur, dementia, cataracts, hearing that was fading day by day, and Avascular Necrosis of the ears. His heart got worse and worse with passing time as did his mind, eyes and hearing but his ears cleared up and stopped dying - he stopped getting the black spots that would eat away at the ears.

A few weeks ago he started having sinking spells - he would be walking along and suddenly just melt to the floor as if his bones had gone all soft and couldn't support him. The last few days, he has been doing that repeatedly. So yesterday I made the call to let him go and took him in this morning. When he got up this morning he was acting drunk - staggering, running into the walls and furniture, falling down (not the melting, his legs would just go out from under him). I didn't want him to have a massive heart attack or stroke and suffer so I had decided it seemed the kindest thing to do to let him go now and based on his behavior this morning it was the right call.

Tho we tried, Redd was never able to bond with any of us. He lived to eat, hump, and pee - which he did with abandon. He never interacted with the other babies, unless it was to try to hump one of them and never went over well, and rarely with me unless there was food involved or he *thought* food was involved. He would tolerate a little petting but didn't care to be held - that provided opportunity to hump arms and nibble fingers just in case and that was all. ;) And yet I was hitching and sobbing when we walked in the door at the vet's this morning. I kept thinking I wish I could have gotten to know him before he was so deep inside himself, when he was younger and healthier. I could tell he was a sweet little guy and probably quite intelligent.

He went peacefully and easily for which I was thankful. So now he is free of all his aliments and with the others in the Rainbow Fields.

Fly free, old man, fly free.

spdd
01-21-2016, 02:45 PM
You were the first one I thought of this morning and what you were facing. You are absolutely incredible to take on such a handful and care for him as long as you did. He's with the rest of our gang at the bridge, and as far as you are concerned, I hope you don't dwell on it too much, you did the right thing. Hugs to you Leslie.

Budsters Mom
01-21-2016, 02:47 PM
I have no doubt that the rainbow fields are a humper's paradise!!! :D

I am so sorry to read this news today. Fly free Red! Fly free! :o

Big hugs Leslie

spdd
01-21-2016, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=Budster's Mom;184129]I have no doubt that the rainbow fields are a humper's paradise!!! :D

LOL!! I had to giggle. Keesh only tried it twice, once to a male chocolate lab and another to a little female bichon. Didn't know it could happen so late in life after they were neutered at such a young age. I hope "mah boy" isn't getting any ideas up there:D:D:D Nobody was more shocked then me when I saw it, it would have been a kodak moment for sure.

molly muffin
01-21-2016, 06:36 PM
I think I'll just say the same thing I said on FB about Redd

He might not have been there long, he might not have bonded as he would have younger, but I know you and I know your heart and he was still your little boy Redd and much loved. He had a wonderful last year where really, all he had to worry about was finding something to hump on. Food, water, warmth, safety and love where all provided. Not a bad deal at all.

Leslie you where a gift to Redd and Redd was a gift to you. He came at just the right time.

lulusmom
01-21-2016, 06:37 PM
OMG, Les, I am so terribly sorry. I know that providing hospice care for these little guys always ends in heartbreak and God bless you for doing it anyway. Every pup you have ever loved, taken care of and helped cross over has left this world knowing the true love of a human, some for the only time in their lives.

Godspeed sweet Redd.

(((Huge Consoling Hugs)))
G.

Harley PoMMom
01-21-2016, 08:04 PM
Oh Leslie, I am so terribly sorry, you are such a loving and beautiful person, all God's creatures, whether two legged or four, are very lucky to have you in their life. My heart goes out to you, dear Leslie, sending huge comforting hugs.

With love and sympathy, Lori

My sweet Ginger
01-22-2016, 09:07 AM
Yea, dementia really robs any kind of socialization or interaction from pups. I only see Ginger among others when food is around and often times she walks away from it forgetting the fact that she was eating. I put her back and she will finish whatever she was eating.

I'm sure Redd knew he was in a safe place and very much loved.
Bless your heart for caring for him and loving him during his final year.
I'm deeply sorry for your loss of Redd. Hugs, Song.

labblab
01-22-2016, 09:33 AM
((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))

Budsters Mom
01-23-2016, 06:53 PM
Leslie,

I am truly thankful that there are angels on earth such as you, who are willing to take on terminally ill pups and love them for as long long as they have. Many who have never known love. I'm sure that Redd felt loved, even though he didn't know how to show it. I could not emotionally do what you do. So, thank you for every life you've touched.

Hugs,
Kathy

mytil
01-24-2016, 05:08 AM
I am so incredibly sorry Leslie!!!!!
((((hugs))))

Trish
01-29-2016, 10:57 PM
Sorry I am late to offer my condolences Leslie, so sad to lose them no matter what age or the reason. Big hugs for you xxxxx

Allison
03-27-2016, 02:57 PM
Leslie, hi.

My apologies for my belated condolences. I'm just now on catching up on posts after a couple of month's absence.

I'm sorry for your loss of Redd. I can imagine how difficult his care was. Gizmo in his last year couldn't hear, see, or walk well. He also had Cushings and pancreatisis. A lot for a little dog to handle!

He came to us at age ten. Like you, my husband and I wish we could have known him as a younger dog. One of the most special gifts we received was a photo from his owner (who was hospitalized and unable to care for him) was a photo from his puppy days. We still have it up in our living room.

Thank you for caring for senior dogs! They're a special bunch.

This morning our foster boy crossed The Bridge. Redd has been with us for a little over a year. He came with severe heart murmur, dementia, cataracts, hearing that was fading day by day, and Avascular Necrosis of the ears.

Tho we tried, Redd was never able to bond with any of us. He lived to eat, hump, and pee - which he did with abandon ... I kept thinking I wish I could have gotten to know him before he was so deep inside himself, when he was younger and healthier. I could tell he was a sweet little guy and probably quite intelligent.