PDA

View Full Version : My Sweet, Sweet Otis

lulusmom
06-14-2009, 02:19 PM
For those of you that remember Otis from cc.net, here's a post I shared with the Moderators and Admins this morning.

Just wanted ya'll to know that we said goodbye to Otis last night. He was in horrific pain, could barely walk and I could no longer pick him up without causing him excruciating pain. Metacam and Tramadol had no effect. He gave me my last two kisses on the way to the ER and went easy while wrapped up in my arms.

Gil and I cried ourselves to sleep last night and trying to be strong this morning didn't last long. For almost a year, he was always there when I awoke, curled up against me or staring at me with those big brown eyes. I laid out the fifth food dish on the counter this morning out of habit and even put his medicine in it before I remembered that he isn't here anymore. Otis gave his brothers and sister a treat this morning....they got to split the primal nuggats that I laid out for him last night. I miss him so much and my heart is broken into a thousand pieces.

G.

Carol G
06-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Glynda and family,

I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you.

Carol

JFBMaine
06-14-2009, 02:28 PM
I am so sorry that you lost your Otis. Hugs to you from Finnegan and me.

frijole
06-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Glynda,

I know how special Otis was to you and no words suffice. It takes a very special person to take in dogs in need and give them so very much love. Haley, Annie and I send big hugs and kisses. Take care friend and RIP dear sweet Otis. Kim

SasAndYunah
06-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Awww Glynda,

I am so very sorry for your loss. No living creature should ever leave this earth, not knowing what it is like to be loved... And Otis sure knew what it was like to be loved, you gave him all the love and more.
Our thoughts are with you and yours...

Saskia and Yunah.

Harley PoMMom
06-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Dearest Glyda,

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Otis. Just as Kim has said you are indeed a very special person with a huge heart.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Godspeed sweet Otis.

With Deepest Sympathy,
Lori

gpgscott
06-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Glynda,

Words are inadaquate but they are all we have. I am so sorry for your loss of Otis and wish him peace. I wish you and Gil peace also in your sorrow over his loss.

Scott

forscooter
06-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Glynda....

I wish there was something I could say....something that would make it all better.....but we know that depth of pain is the depth of love....and you were all so lucky to have found that. Little Otis was blessed to have you and Gil loving him so....

My heart breaks for you....and please know that I wish you sweet peace...I don't believe they ever really leave us...keep him safe as you always have deep within your heart.

With lots of love and hugs....Beth, Bailey and always Scoobie

ladysmom06
06-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Glynda,

I am so very sorry for your loss of sweet Otis. Keeping you and Gil in my thoughts and prayers. My deepest sympathy.

Luv,
Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09

Dollydog
06-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Glynda,
I'm so sorry to hear about Otis....I remember those big eyes and that little body that had endured so much. I'm so glad he spent his last year on earth basking in your love. Wish I could go back and see his picture....
Take care,
Jo-Ann

nikkismom
06-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Glynda, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. I know you were the best mother Otis could have. He was very lucky. My thoughts are with you. Sharon

Truffa's Mom
06-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Godspeed sweet Otis, you will be terribly missed.
Glynda and Gil, I will have you in my thoughts, my heart goes out to you both.
I will light a special candle in memory of sweet Otis and my babies will receive a special kiss tonight on his name.

frijole
06-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Link to photo of Otis

www.k9cushings.com/forum/album.php?albumid=11&pictureid=36

lucygoo
06-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Glynda..
I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Otis.

Gina

Kelley
06-14-2009, 06:19 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.

labblab
06-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Glynda, I cannot even think of the first word to say because Otis's entire story has felt so overwhelming to me. From the moment you rescued him and told us about him...he just touched my heart so deeply. Later on, I hope my thoughts will come together in a way that I can voice them. But in the meantime, I want you and Gil to know how many lives Otis has touched, and how many lives you two have touched through your loving care.

With tears and hugs in loving memory of this precious little spirit,
Marianne

4Mikeydog
06-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Glynda,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Dear sweet Otis was blessed to have had you finally come into his life. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.

with deepest sympathy,
Dorothy and Mikey

lleigh
06-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Glynda,

Just read your very sad news. I am so sorry you have lost sweet Otis. What a lucky little guy he was to have been rescued and loved by you. Nothing I can say will ease your pain but know that I wish for Otis sweet dreams and for you days when fond memories begin to replace the intense sadness in your heart.

Lyn

mytil
06-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Oh Glynda,

I was out most of the weekend and I am so very very sorry to read about Otis - my heart just aches for you and Gil. I know that little guy was incredibly special and the love and devotion you two gave him was beyond measure.

We are here Glynda.
Sending very special ((((hugs)))) to all of you
Terry

ventilate
06-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Glynda, I am so sorry to hear about Otis, my heart goes out to you and Gil.
Hugs from me and mine
Sharon

Kallie'smom
06-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Dear Glynda,

I was soooo sad to read about your precious otis. Just wanted you to know I am thinking of you. You were so nice and so helpful to me when I first came here, I really appreciated that.

Tammy

Wylie's Mom
06-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Oh Glynda,

I am so sorry about sweet little Otis… he was at least lucky to land you & Gil as foster parents & then forever parents... I'm glad he got the chance to experience a loving home. My heart goes out to the both of you.

((((((((Hugs))))))))
-Susy

John II
06-17-2009, 04:21 AM
Dear Glynda,

I am so sorry for your loss.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

John and Angelina.

k9diabetes
06-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Ah.... Glynda.... I'm so sorry. I have not spent much time here lately until today and I did not catch your post about Otis until now. That's such a horrible decision to have to make, even when it's unquestionably time.

I hope Otis' story is here somewhere... I know absolutely nothing about him and I would like to learn about his life and hope to see a picture of him.

I'm so sorry...

Natalie

Buffaloe
06-18-2009, 12:39 AM
Oh Glynda,

I am so sorry for your loss of Otis. He was such a sweet boy and he knows he was deeply loved. Even though you know you did what you had to do for Otis, the pain is just so deep. You are unquestionably one of the very best doggie mom's on this planet. May God bless you and Gil in this difficult time.

Ken

SaxLady
06-18-2009, 01:18 AM
Dear Glynda,
I always cry when I hear of someone losing their beloved pet. I am so so very sorry. Be rest assured, his spirit is with you and always will be. In quiet times listen for him.
Candy

lulusmom
06-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Thank you all so much for your kind words. I cannot tell you how much you have warmed my heart and I know that most of you have cried along with me and the others that have recently lost their beloved fuzzybutts. It brings me great comfort to know that I am surrounded by friends that understand the incredible depth of love that exists between us humans and our sweet, sweet pups.

I miss my little Otis like crazy and it's been a tearful, difficult week. I miss the goat like cries for my attention, the ever distinctive bark welcoming me home after a long day at work, the little dances he did to get my attention so I'd pick him up and I even miss lubing up his little weenie as it was always sticking out of the sheath. I never thought that throwing away a bottle of personal lubricant could bring so much sorrow. :(

He was my little boy for just a year but the pain of his loss feels like he was mine for a lifetime.

Glynda

lleigh
06-19-2009, 06:02 AM
Glynda,

You gave him a lifetime of love in probably the best year he ever had.

Lyn

bkdice
06-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Sorry I'm late to reply.... I'm so sorry for your loss Glynda. Otis looked like a real cutey. I hope many happy memories of him will help get you through your healing process.

All the best...

Bettina & Niko

Miko's Mom
06-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Glynda, They ask so little and give so much. Otis' spirit will live on forever. Christine

labblab
06-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Here is a photo of "our" little guy:

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/album.php?albumid=21&pictureid=486

And for those of you who don't know the story of how Otis joined our family, here is a copy of the reply that Glynda posted on our old site on the day that she first introduced Otis to us last summer:

Our new foster is here and he is a total sweetheart. He gets along with everybody and he and Lulu sleep together in the same bed. Despite the lack of hair, he was still really nasty so we had him groomed yesterday. His nails were so long, they were curling under and twisted. He walks hunched over and his back legs are a mess. He has sores all over him and but does not seem to be itchy which could point to demodex. He is very, very old with only a few teeth left and his pee pee sticks out most of the time. I've been putting mineral oil on it which seems to help. He drinks any puddles of urine he finds which is common with dogs that have been kept in cages. All of this tells me that this poor little guy has spent his entire life in a cage walking on open grates, probably as a breeder. He makes very funny noises and sounds like a billy goat. Gil has been talking to him in his own language so the noises around here right now are pretty weird.

I think we are going to call him Otis. Louise suggested Otis because Otis Redding sang a song called "Mr. Pitiful" and this little guy is the epitome of pitiful. It fits him to a tee. Now the work begins to try to make up for all the loving that he never got. He goes in Monday bloodwork, neutering and dental. Hopefully, his health is not compromised to the point that we can't get these two procedures done. Will keep you posted.

Glynda

"Mr. Pitiful," indeed :o. Boy, didn't Otis's life totally turn around on the day that he entered the hearts and the loving care of Glynda and Gil! :) :)

"Forever" (((hugs))) for our "forever" precious boy,
Marianne

Barney's Mom
06-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Glynda,

You gave him a lifetime of love in probably the best year he ever had.

Lyn

Well said!
Glynda I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your sweet Otis.

Cheryl

ChristyA
06-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Glynda,
I saw this post after we got back from vacation. I'm sorry I haven't posted to you yet, but I just don't even know what to say. So many thoughts run through my mind. I'm sorry for this loss - I know what Otis meant to you. I know you were the best person in his life and he was so blessed to have you take care of him. It just breaks my heart that he is gone, I wish he would have had more time with you.
Take Care,
Christy

lulusmom
06-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Thank you all again for your incredible compassion and heart warming words. Otis was attached to me like no other being on the planet. If I wasn't at work, he was my 5 lb Siamese twin sitting in the crook of my left arm. That was exactly where he was on the day that he died. Every post I made here and cc.net from the day he walked into my life, almost a year ago, until that sad day, he was there in my lap, helping me type to you guys. It wasn't good enough that he was in my lap, he was not happy that both of my hands were on the keyboard and not on him. He'd bang on the keyboard until I gave in and put my hand on him. He was not spoiled at all huh? I miss my little bald buddy more than words can say but it becomes a little easier with each passing day.

Now I have some news to share with you all. I was going to start a new thread in the Everything Else Forum but then it dawned on me that if not for Otis' passing, Gil and I would not have been in a position to make a difference to two new babies that need our help badly. So, I think it is appropriate that it is on Otis' very special thread that I introduce you to our new foster daughters who have no idea yet that they have a new family waiting for them.

These girls are 12 year old Maltese sisters who need some serious TLC. They are currently redlisted at an L.A. shelter and have little time left so we needed to make a quick decision. Oh, how I love my husband for wanting to save them too. If he's confused about the various meds we dole out now, these two girls may just put him over the edge. :D It's funny to say girls as we've had nothing but boys for so long. Lulu will no longer be the one and only canine princess in the house. I've attached their pictures below so you can see how badly they need medical attention, not to mention some major grooming. Where is John when I need him? :D

I LOVE YOU, OTIS!!!!

Roxee's Dad
06-23-2009, 01:39 PM
OMG Glynda,

First I wish I could hug you and Gil and take all your pain away... Secondly I wish I could hug you and Gill to thank you for taking in these sweet needy girls that will need so much love and care.

You and Gil are absolute angels!!!!!!!!!

Squirt's Mom
06-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Oh, god. The tears are flowing again. Otis was such a miracle baby in so many ways and now he has sent you two new sisters who need you and Gil as much as he did.

I believe things happen for a reason even tho we may never know what that reason may be. In my heart, I believe Otis knew these girls were out there just waiting, and knowing there was nothing more ya'll could do for him, he made room for them in your home. Otis knows your heart and Gil's heart is plenty big enough for him and countless others, and he knows his place there will never be taken but rather enriched.

You both are amazing and you know I love ya.

Ok, now I want to know all about these sweet girls, so let me know when they are home and how things are going.

Bless you both and hugs to all!
Leslie and the girls

ChristyA
06-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Glynda,
They are going to be so happy! God Bless you and Gil, you are both amazing.
Christy

Carol G
06-23-2009, 02:09 PM
What a wonderful honor to Otis. You and Gil are saints and these two just hit the doggie jackpot.

Carol, Atty Cat and always Winnie & McGill

Dollydog
06-23-2009, 03:00 PM
I do believe that I've already told you and Gil that you are AWESOME people so won't bore you again with that ;) :D

What an wonderful tribute to Otis and I know those two will be very happy girls when they get to your house...
I'll be looking for updates and more pictures...
HUGS
Jo-Ann & Lady :)

gpgscott
06-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Glynda,

They are indeed in need of your care and I am glad you have found them.

I think you will get used to calling them your girls.

Scott

MiniSchnauzerMom
06-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Awwwwwwwww, Glynda....what else can I say that others haven't already. These little girls will now have an opportunity to experience what Otis did...love and care.

I'll bet Otis is watching from doggie heaven and has a big grin on his sweet face (showing off those two front pearly whites!!)

Louise

ladysmom06
06-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Glynda,

You and Gil truly are amazing. These little sweethearts are so lucky to have the two of you. Hugs to all of you.

Louie's Mom
06-23-2009, 04:53 PM
I am catching up with the group little by little, and was so very sorry to learn about Otis' passing. I completely understand how a little needy one can just take over your lap, life, and heart, for I have one like that, too.

Thank you so much for taking on the two little sisters. They sure do need you, and I am grateful there are people in the world who care enough to do what you are doing. It will be a joy to watch them blossom under your care.

Harley PoMMom
06-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Glynda,

You and Gil are phenomenal people, and those two sweet little girls will finally know what it is like to be truly loved.

And like others have said, please keep us updated on your little girls.:)

Hugs to all,
Lori

forscooter
06-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Glynda,

I heard two bells ring....but you both got your angel wings a long time ago!!!

Welcome to the girls!!!:D

Love and hugs, Beth, Bailey and always Scoobie

lleigh
06-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Glynda,

You and Gil are truly an inspiration to us all and a blessing to those little souls who need you so badly. Keep us posted. I can hardly wait to hear how they improve in your love and care. I agree that Otis had a hand in this!

Lyn

bgdavis
06-24-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss of sweet Otis. I have just registered on this new Cushings' form. I've avoided the old one and this one as it was so painful after I lost Crissy Ann (3/11/09).

I know the terrible pain you are in. Hopefully, your new charges will help to make you smile again.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy

lulusmom
06-30-2009, 07:30 PM
It's been an up and down couple of weeks for me and each day is better than the last. I'm at that point where the sweet memories of my little Otis crowd my mind and the tears are coming with much less frequency. I did have a good sob this weekend when I ran across his collar and name tag. I had thrown it in one of my many junk drawers. Like Lulu, he didn't wear a collar because without fur, it rubbed his little neck raw.

Now for my report on those sweet little Maltese girls. They were being held as evidence by the City of L.A. as they are prosecuting their owners for criminal neglect and abuse. The sad thing is that these two girls spent 12 years being horribly neglected and the ahole that did this to them probably won't do one day in jail, much less 12 years. I really hope that I live long enough to see the courts one day deem dogs and cats as more than just property.

The really good news is that the girls found a forever home before ever getting to meet Gil and I. Yippee!!! I'll let you know who our next little foster will be when we find out.

Glynda

gpgscott
06-30-2009, 07:51 PM
I am happy to hear that you have found someone to take them, keep them together and love them Glynda.

It is odd isn't it to know that our legal system regards them as property and with little value.

Scott

Roxee's Dad
06-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi Glynda,
Good news on the girls, I am glad they will be living in a home that they deserve after so much abuse.

Ditto on the cruelty laws.

I am still so sorry about Otis, he had a good home and loving parents in the end. I still wish I could hug you and take your pain away. Sometimes I feel the deeper the emotional pain, the closer we hold them in our hearts.

Harley PoMMom
06-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Glynda,

Such good news for those sweet girls, especially to be together in a loving home.

I really hope that I live long enough to see the courts one day deem dogs and cats as more than just property.
I totally agree with you.

My heart goes out to you Glynda, I am glad that each day is better than the last, wish I could take the pain away for you...but know you and Gil are in my thoughts and prayers.

Will be checking for updates on new foster/s! Can't wait!! :D

Hugs to you and Gil.
Lori

lleigh
06-30-2009, 10:31 PM
I really hope that I live long enough to see the courts one day deem dogs and cats as more than just property.

Glynda

Glynda,

It will happen one day and it will be because of wonderful people like you.

Lyn