PDA

View Full Version : Dictating Posts on IPad

Budsters Mom
04-10-2015, 01:01 PM
I used to be able to lazily dicate my posts on my IPad. I can still do it, but when I tap the "done" to end the dictated sentence, it disappears. Is anyone else experiencing this inconvenience? :confused::confused:

Thanks,
Kathy

labblab
04-11-2015, 07:51 AM
My iPad is too old to have the dictation feature built in :o, and I am such a techno-dummy that I haven't yet explored whether I can add an app :rolleyes:.

But I think Sharlene dictates, too, so I'll bet she'll be checking in as soon as the wedding excitement settles at her house. :)

Budsters Mom
04-11-2015, 03:22 PM
The dictation/microphone works for everything but the forum, but used to work for the forum too. Now it doesn't. I admit to being spoiled!;):D

Marianne - The microphone, dictation feature did not come on my iPad either. It was part of an update. It depends on just how old your iPad is, as to whether it was included on the update. Do you know how to check for updates? After updating, check out your keyboard. Does it have a microphone on the bottom row? If you do, it will appear on the left side of the space bar. Happy hunting.

To check for updates.....
Go to your settings app ----- General ------ Software update

You can check and update there if there are any available. ;)
Let me know how it goes!

labblab
04-11-2015, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the tips, Kathy! My iPad 2 is too old to support an actual Apple update, though. I had read that there's some other unofficial work-around I can try, but it sounded too complicated to me at the time. I honestly had forgotten about it, though, and may still search it down.

Budsters Mom
04-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Oddly, I just did another update and the dictation feature is working perfectly now????

Marianne - A personal word of warning. Do not try to update your iPad 2. They do not support the increased features. I know of a couple of tech savy people who are very sorry they did. Their iPads became very glitchy and performed super slowly. They both ended up turning them in and getting an upgraded model. Their iPad 2s worked just fine until they messed with them.;)

labblab
04-11-2015, 06:12 PM
Sadly, the warning is too late -- I've dutifully added all the updates through time and yes, I've gone backwards with functionality (is that even a word??). I can't tell you how often I lose webpages with that horrible error message "A problem has occurred and the webpage must be reloaded....." over and over and over. :( :(

Budsters Mom
04-11-2015, 06:28 PM
I am so sorry, but maybe we can fix this. ;) Please tell me you backed up your iPad to your iTunes account on your computer before you did the updates? If you did, you can easily restore your iPad to condition it was before you messed with it because your previous settings were saved on the cloud. All you have to do is reconnect to your iTunes account on your computer and RESTORE YOUR BACKUP. Each time you connect to your iTunes account on your computer, all of your settings on your iPad are automatically backed up.

Unfortunately, if you didn't back up anything first, you are stuck with what you have now. :o Again, I am so sorry that my warning came late.:o

Budsters Mom
04-11-2015, 08:02 PM
Marianne - If it's really glitchy and you didn't back it up before updating, try turning it off completely, waiting a few minutes, then turning it back on. Not a restart, but a total shutdown. This might help iron out some of the glitches and smooth out as much of the updated content as possible. I hope it helps.